Is FPSCreator A Good Solution To Make A Simple Game?

hsncorrosion

Is fpscreator from www.fpscreator.com a good way to make a simpler game. I do not expect someone to make a game like wow or unreal with it.

But I would like to make a game, using it or some other tool. (I have no scripting abilities as far as gaming goes) Plz dont tell me to learn and code it. If fps creator is a good solution would anyone like to help me make the game? The overall goal is to have 50 levels online or offline. Or comb of the two. And just basicly kill people.

FPSCreator is sorely lacking featurewise and performancewise from the brief experiences I've had with it, as was suggested you are better off making a mod or TC for an existing engine. You will however run into scripting/coding when you try to mod just about any game. Even with FPSCreator your need to be able to script to do anything advanced. If you don't want to learn any coding or scripting languages then your definitely out of luck as you won't get very far without even a basic understanding of programming fundamentals. Depending on your goals I would suggest you either start modding an existing game or look into Flash/Actionscript and go from there.

Although FPSCreator isn't that good in my opinion, I would recommend Dark Basic Pro made by the same company. It provides a nice and simple interface to DX9 with heaps of addons and a great community to help with things like AI, physics, networking etc. It can compile native executables for windows and archieves reasonable framerates, you can also get an extension so you access the DBP engine directly from C++(unmanaged) or from .NET languages like VB.net, C# or C++(managed). The language is easy to learn and follows typical BASIC syntax. A number of commercial quality games have been made with DBP, although you won't be making the next Unreal Tournament game with it or anything.

FPSCreator is sorely lacking featurewise and performancewise from the brief experiences I've had with it, as was suggested you are better off making a mod or TC for an existing engine. You will however run into scripting/coding when you try to mod just about any game. Even with FPSCreator your need to be able to script to do anything advanced. If you don't want to learn any coding or scripting languages then your definitely out of luck as you won't get very far without even a basic understanding of programming fundamentals. Depending on your goals I would suggest you either start modding an existing game or look into Flash/Actionscript and go from there.

Although FPSCreator isn't that good in my opinion, I would recommend Dark Basic Pro made by the same company. It provides a nice and simple interface to DX9 with heaps of addons and a great community to help with things like AI, physics, networking etc. It can compile native executables for windows and archieves reasonable framerates, you can also get an extension so you access the DBP engine directly from C++(unmanaged) or from .NET languages like VB.net, C# or C++(managed). The language is easy to learn and follows typical BASIC syntax. A number of commercial quality games have been made with DBP, although you won't be making the next Unreal Tournament game with it or anything.

K, I will try to get into coding, The only problem I have with coding is that it takes time (that is my overall problem, I dont like to wait) But I will give it a shot. Also about FPSC, The game is meant to be freeware, It's sole purpous is basicly for me to have a game I could call my own. I'm only 15 and still in school. So time is a bit limited. (only high school so I've got time, just less of it) Not to mention a job. Anyway thanks for the help and I will try to lean to code.

The only problem I have with coding is that it takes time (that is my overall problem, I dont like to wait)

Good games take time. Learn to stand on the shoulders of giants, or limit yourself to simple games (Pong, snake, tetris, arkanoid).

If you think you can make an FPS in a short time, without coding skills, you've got another thing coming.

hmm for gaming programing, most ppl now suggest start with action script (AS), ive done a little of it (not focusing on gaming at all though) and i must say its rather easy to work with, and if u were wanting to make an FPS, it would take to long to be able to create in AS and using Flash for the GFX.

Also for flash there are quite a few tutorials on how to make ur own FPS, i suggest dont just copy and use these scripts untill u are actualy able to break them down and understand them.

Also being only of 15, you may find the advanced maths used in minor physics engiens a little frustrating at first, though studing the scripts, and knowing the basics will help u overcome this.

K, I will try to get into coding, The only problem I have with coding is that it takes time (that is my overall problem, I dont like to wait) But I will give it a shot. Also about FPSC, The game is meant to be freeware, It's sole purpous is basicly for me to have a game I could call my own. I'm only 15 and still in school. So time is a bit limited. (only high school so I've got time, just less of it) Not to mention a job. Anyway thanks for the help and I will try to lean to code.

I'm not sure how sophisticated you want to make this game but you can always just download the trial version of FPSC and see if it's usable for what you want to make anyway. Game development takes a lot of time and hard work, you may be able to throw something together quickly in FPSC but you'll likely be disappointed with it. If you do plan on looking at game development or coding for personal or career reasons in the future it is definitely worth spending the time to learn programming etc. Time may be limited now, but it will only get even more limited once you leave school. :P Good luck with whatever path you choose to take.