New Linux User

film

Hi, well i would like to say i have just installed Fedora Core 6 on my computer and im really excited. This is my first time using Linux and im soo happy it installed with no problems, was easyier then i thought. I was just wondering if there is any essentials thing i should know as this is my first time on Linux? 8)

Hi, well i would like to say i have just installed Fedora Core 6 on my computer and im really excited. This is my first time using Linux and im soo happy it installed with no problems, was easyier then i thought. I was just wondering if there is any essentials thing i should know as this is my first time on Linux? 8)
start useing commandline as soon as possible its verry powerfull and looks cool XD (meh wish i was any good with it....i only can do the basics if even ... u kno app get , wget , ftp ,.....)

No. If you do everything via a gui, you end up needing it. Then when you have a problem, your stuck. Plus, its faster, more flexible and the concept is more apparent. Why does it make you a poser to try learning a bit more?

In windows you use the GUI because you need to, everything is done from the GUI in windows. In linux you use the command line everything is done from the command line. In windows you have a half assed command line, and in Linux you have a half assed GUI. If you had the GUI of windows and the Command line of linux I'd take that OS in a nano second.

*sigh*. 'Use the command line', is the worst suggestion ever. Use the best method that gets the task done. Using the command line doesn't make you cool, it makes you a poser.

quite right, the GUI does make it easyer to grasp /dev/ concepts (as opposed to D:, C: and such).

lets face it a simple click beats typing 'mount -o loop /home/$USER/myiso.iso /media/dvd'

personally i didn't learn any command line options til about 6 months after i started using linux. 1337 is 1337, but there is such a thing as learning to walk before you run. C: C:DOS C:DOSRUN RUNDOSRUN

As for any tips; I would have to say make sure you install source packages, this will make it easier if you ever compile programs.