New Nano, cant install a lot of module dependencies

Xenios

I am currently running firmware 2.6.1 with a microSD card, a lot of modules will not install, such as SSLSplit or ettercap. What happens is I install the module to the microSD card, then when I go to the module, it says I need to install dependencies, I click install  to SD and it says installing for a little while, then goes right back to saying they need to be installed. I have tried installing them to the internal system as well with no luck. Is this a current known issue?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was able to install dependencies after rolling back but then the modules were not working properly. For example, with firmware 2.5.4, sslsplit when clicking start did nothing, and for 2.4.2 it actually started but wouldnt capture any thing. I stopped troubleshooting last night at like 1am so ill try more tonight

A lot of older modules that have not been updated for sometime are reporting issues with firmware 2.6.x versions

Most of these issues are being worked out and fixed.

Have you done a firmware recovery > Update to 2.6.1 > Install modules > Install dependencies 

If not give that a go.  Reformat SD before starting.  A lot of these problems have been caused by pre 2.6.x data on internal/sd storage after updating.

7 minutes ago, Cap_Sig said:

A lot of older modules that have not been updated for sometime are reporting issues with firmware 2.6.x versions

Most of these issues are being worked out and fixed.

Have you done a firmware recovery > Update to 2.6.1 > Install modules > Install dependencies 

If not give that a go.  Reformat SD before starting.  A lot of these problems have been caused by pre 2.6.x data on internal/sd storage after updating.

The pineapple never had anything installed until 2.6.1, i just got it last week. I have tried different firmware versions with no much luck. Do you know which firmware version sslsplit currently works with? It seems the move from openwrt 15 to 19 may have been the killer for a lot of these modules.

43 minutes ago, Ahmed Naeem said:

also I have problem with site survey module It installed but not work probably I can't capture the handshake with it  

That is not a install problem.  

Capturing a handshake with the module depends on the target AP and its settings/features.  

I have the same issue. urlsnarf not installing dependencies. Tested on 2.6.x and performed full reset plus upgrade and sd reformatting as well. no way. It does not work. bu checking on ssh connection seems dependencies installation not even start a process for many modules. Status module works and when running dependencies installation process dependencies.sh install is created.

2 hours ago, Ahmed Naeem said:

I know I can capture the handshake with recon but I can't with site survy however I think there is something wrong with this update 2.6.x

As of firmware 2.6.0 site survey was working.  Haven't personally tested it on 2.6.1 but should still be working.

Have you done a full factory recovery > OTA to 2.6.1 > Install modules > Install dependencies ?  If any modules/dependencies are still on the device from a before 2.6.x firmware it has been reported to cause issues upgrading/reinstalling modules.

Most of these issues are caused by major changes in 2.6.x firmware of the OpenWRT version.

1 hour ago, brunomotta said:

I have the same issue. urlsnarf not installing dependencies. Tested on 2.6.x and performed full reset plus upgrade and sd reformatting as well. no way. It does not work. bu checking on ssh connection seems dependencies installation not even start a process for many modules. Status module works and when running dependencies installation process dependencies.sh install is created.

Some of the modules have still not been fixed for firmware 2.6.x but if you need a certain module to work downgrading to 2.5.4 may be of help.

Another solution is find the dedicated threads for a module and some have instructions for install dependencies manually. 

Just to verify, you did a reset or firmware recovery?  There is a big difference between the two.

10 minutes ago, Cap_Sig said:

As of firmware 2.6.0 site survey was working.  Haven't personally tested it on 2.6.1 but should still be working.

Have you done a full factory recovery > OTA to 2.6.1 > Install modules > Install dependencies ?  If any modules/dependencies are still on the device from a before 2.6.x firmware it has been reported to cause issues upgrading/reinstalling modules.

Most of these issues are caused by major changes in 2.6.x firmware of the OpenWRT version.

I just receive my pineapple before one  week ago so first firmware installed after update is 2.6.1 however I will try to do as you say and see if it solved or not and give you feedback after that  

2 hours ago, Cap_Sig said:

Some of the modules have still not been fixed for firmware 2.6.x but if you need a certain module to work downgrading to 2.5.4 may be of help.

Another solution is find the dedicated threads for a module and some have instructions for install dependencies manually. 

Just to verify, you did a reset or firmware recovery?  There is a big difference between the two.

i performed the entire process. Firmware recovery and then installing 2.5.4 plus formatting Sd as suggested by another post. urlsnarf still not working DWall forces pineapple reboot. i mainy need urlsnarf for a training session and i haven't found any instruction on manual installation. Checking on ssh and ps no process is created when dependencies are installed. Even the button in the module is weird (no button, just a line.. changing in installing which stay there forever) It would be good to find a manual installation

46 minutes ago, brunomotta said:

i performed the entire process. Firmware recovery and then installing 2.5.4 plus formatting Sd as suggested by another post. urlsnarf still not working DWall forces pineapple reboot. i mainy need urlsnarf for a training session and i haven't found any instruction on manual installation. Checking on ssh and ps no process is created when dependencies are installed. Even the button in the module is weird (no button, just a line.. changing in installing which stay there forever) It would be good to find a manual installation

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble.  I am not as familiar with the nano as I am the tetra.  I have not personally used the urlsnarf module in some time.  

Just a couple other things, have you tried installing both to internal and external memory?  Can you get any of the modules to work? 

If you are looking for a quick solution to your demo needs with urlsnarf, you could do it on a laptop running Kali.  I know this is not the solution you are looking for but it is a temporary fix possibly. 

48 minutes ago, Cap_Sig said:

Sorry to hear you are still having trouble.  I am not as familiar with the nano as I am the tetra.  I have not personally used the urlsnarf module in some time.  

Just a couple other things, have you tried installing both to internal and external memory?  Can you get any of the modules to work? 

If you are looking for a quick solution to your demo needs with urlsnarf, you could do it on a laptop running Kali.  I know this is not the solution you are looking for but it is a temporary fix possibly. 

Thanks - the only module i can run is p0f. DWall can be installed but then does not start. i wanted o show it on a portable HW but you are right, if i doesn't work at all i will backup on Kali.

17 minutes ago, Xenios said:

working on it again now, ill let you know how it goes, its incredibly frustrating because I need this crap for grad school and have been wasting time trying to fix the damn thing instead of homework.

Can understand how that would be frustrating.  You can always use Kali Linux in the meantime until you have time to fix your device or if a portable solution is needed a raspberry pi running Kali is also an option

8 minutes ago, Cap_Sig said:

Can understand how that would be frustrating.  You can always use Kali Linux in the meantime until you have time to fix your device or if a portable solution is needed a raspberry pi running Kali is also an option

Right, its just the class specifically wants us to use a pineapple, the teacher said for now kali is fine but idk how long thats gonna be an option.

I think what needs to happen is modules need to become officially supported and the team works them with firmware updates so this stuff doesnt happen. Utilizing pineAP bridged to a kali box would be the only useful part of the pineapple it seems and some of its injection capability. For Hak5 advertising this device as the pen testers wet dream, i can see the application and potential but so far this has been nothing but a giant pain in the ass lol. By no means is this to be taken as a slap at hak5 either, i understand how this all can be a house of cards as a developer myself.

2 hours ago, brunomotta said:

given pineapple is a openwrt device can't be a good idea to install openwrt on a vm and then run it? actually running a pinapple like vm on a laptop. not clear how to do but seems possible. Any idea? Currently Pinapple does not work at all.

Here's a possible starting point: https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-user/virtualization/virtualbox-vm  Issue here is if you plan to use pineapple modules you will need to use the same architecture which will be the hard part to overcome.

Tho there are issues with the modules that are being currently worked out the base system of the pineapple should be functional on the right firmware version.

Archived