Linux Backtrack Trouble

Snooble

Hello everyone, first post on here. I have made a Backtrack LiveCD. With which i want to test my WEP's security. This is my first Linux system. So, i've logged in "root" - "toor" and then "xstart" and then i get to the desktop.

But when i click on the wireless help thing, it says it can't detect my wireless card.

My wireless card is the Netgear WG311v2. What do i do?

I'm assuming drivers. but its a liveCD.

My thanks go out to anyone who's read this post.

Snooble

most Wlan devices wont work with backtrack, this is caused by Linux in general not really having a wide range of drivers for them.

If u are new to linux, and want your Wlan to work, most times it is suggested to go with Ubunto, since it is Driver friendly.

I would recommend appending either of the following options at boot time:

pci=assign-bussess

or

acpi=off

When I had trouble with my Linksys WG511Tv4 I put both of these in my lilo.conf file and Linux had no trouble seeing them, however you should be able to append them at boot time as well. You should be able to use the linux-wlan-ng drivers if you have a Prism chipset, which I am assuming since allot of the Linksys wireless cards Ive used have the Prism chipset.

You can try ndiswrapper to set up your wireless, it would be annoying to set up but it would work. But given the distro your using you probably want your card to run in promiscuous mode which will not work if you use ndiswrapper.

• 3 weeks later...
Hello everyone, first post on here. I have made a Backtrack LiveCD. With which i want to test my WEP's security. This is my first Linux system. So, i've logged in "root" - "toor" and then "xstart" and then i get to the desktop.

But when i click on the wireless help thing, it says it can't detect my wireless card.

My wireless card is the Netgear WG311v2. What do i do?

I'm assuming drivers. but its a liveCD.

My thanks go out to anyone who's read this post.

Snooble

mkay after a little research it appears your wg311v2 has a atheros chipset which is good. What you need to do is do a

iwconfig

and see if it lists your wireless card. If it does more than likely it'll show as ath0 or ath1

Then if it lists your card, if your just wanting to connect to a network you'll

iwconfig ath0 mode managed

iwconfig ath0 essid wirelessssid key wirelesskey

I think that's right on the last 2 commands for connecting if not it's something like that. It's been awhile since I've done any wireless auditing :D Hope that helps.

I did some digging, I have an atheros mini-pci card that I bought off of ebay.

backtrack needs me to run this to set it up:

airmon-ng start wifi0

this causes the card to be detected and sets up ath1 for monitor mode

however.... I can't detect any wireless networks using the two wifi setup/config programs in backtrack

any ideas? thanks!

yes that's a very good idea. Actually the other night I tried nUbuntu, and the drivers worked automatically and even connected to a network automatically, however, it seems the madwifi drivers were still to old, so my card wouldn't go into monitor mode or something

atm I'm going to try installing ubuntu or xubuntu and try installing the newest madwifi drivers, then the newest airscript-ng and then airoscript