Wifi tethering question

Joe2525

I want to make my pineapple nano tether internet from wifi to use the wifi connection to creat my own network with the pineapple which have internet acces but i don't know how? 

Can any one hell me with this i have ralink usb wifi rt5370 after connecting it to the pineapple i don't know what to do how to make the pineapple connect to my home network ? 

So you want to connect your Pineapple to your wireless AP to receive internet access which will then allow your clients access to the web?

If so, just go to the Networking tab in your Web UI and look for the WiFi Client Mode box and scan and find your AP you want to access the internet from.

NOTE this is more difficult if you have your AP setup to hide its SSID.

2 hours ago, Baron said:

So you want to connect your Pineapple to your wireless AP to receive internet access which will then allow your clients access to the web?

If so, just go to the Networking tab in your Web UI and look for the WiFi Client Mode box and scan and find your AP you want to access the internet from.

NOTE this is more difficult if you have your AP setup to hide its SSID

Ok i understand this but i have a basic question : when i connect the pineapple with the pineapple juice and connect the ralink to the pineapple too. 

Then how can i control the pineapple while i have no ability to connect with it via usb? 

Sorry I'm still new to it

12 hours ago, Joe2525 said:

Then how can i control the pineapple while i have no ability to connect with it via usb?

when you set up your pineapple you create a management WiFi AP, gave it a name and password. You can connect your phone or laptop tp that then browse to http://172.16.42.1:1471 to login and control your pineapple via the GUI.

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 3:29 PM, Just_a_User said:

when you set up your pineapple you create a management WiFi AP, gave it a name and password. You can connect your phone or laptop tp that then browse to http://172.16.42.1:1471 to login and control your pineapple via the GUI.

Thank you so much

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks  to a Hak5 forum person's comments, i ordered the Ralink RT5370 wifi dongle, and it worked right away. But for management, i have to go to 192.168.0.25:1471 not the 172.16.42.1 address. So i am going thru my home ISP-type router. Do i have something set up wrong? When i use the usb cable, i *do* use the 172 address.

Three dongles i had for my RPi3's did not work at all, but the Ralink did.

7 hours ago, orrin said:

Do i have something set up wrong?

No, if using client mode to connect to your device to your router you would indeed need to use the IP given to the pineapple by your router - router in the middle. When routing the pineapple through your laptop you will see both the 172 IP of the Pineapple and the 192 IP of your router as you are in the middle - which is a very nice place to be ?

It all comes down to what you are doing and what you want to achieve..

EDIT - as an afterthought you could still connect to your Pineapples management AP while it is connected to your router in client mode. then you would be using the 172 IP again and the pineapple would be in the middle. This is also how the pineapples clients would connect and get internet.

Just_a_User, thanks for reply...

I'm able to do 'management' both with the 172 addr and the 192 addr. OK. My problem now is this: I have the "Open AP" name set to (let's call it) xxxx-wifi. On my android phone, in the wifi i can see xxxx-wifi, but when i try to connect to it i get, after a few seconds, "authentication error." (I'm trying to behave like a client who sees xxxx-wifi and wants to check it out.)

On the right side of the management page on the Nano, under "Wi Fi Client Mode," i have Interface set to wlan2 (my new wifi dongle). I'm connected to my ISP router that way.

On the left side of the mgmt page, under "Access Points," i have the Management SSID set to a name, a password for it, but for this test i checked both boxes -- Hide Mgmt AP, and Disable Mgmt AP.  Below that, i set a name for the Open SSID (xxxx-wifi) and i uncheck 'Hide Open SSID.'

So then on my phone, i see xxxx-wifi but when i try to connect i get 'authentication error.'  (Also, i still see my mgmt AP on my phone, even tho i thought i disabled it for the moment.)

I'm doing google searches on this but so far i'm stuck. Thanks for any comments.

20 minutes ago, orrin said:

I have the "Open AP" name set to (let's call it) xxxx-wifi. On my android phone, in the wifi i can see xxxx-wifi, but when i try to connect to it i get, after a few seconds, "authentication error." (I'm trying to behave like a client who sees xxxx-wifi and wants to check it out.)

You can do it like that for very passive deployments but will prob need to check your filters and make sure your phone (the target) has its mac address in the allow filter list. You could also do this using PineAP - have the Open SSID hidden and add XXX-WIFI to the SSID pool list, then enable PineAP with Allow associations, log PineAP Events and broadcast SSID Pool etc.

20 minutes ago, orrin said:

Also, i still see my mgmt AP on my phone, even tho i thought i disabled it for the moment

I am also having some issues occasionally (possible bug) with a hidden open SSID but so far have not had a Disabled Managment SSID being visible. could it be that as you have connected to it in the past your phone is looking for it and the pineapple is responding to beacon requests in PineAP?

Just_a_User, thanks for reply...

Your last comments caused me to look at Filters. When i set the Filters to Deny Mode, then i was able to get my android phone to connect to the Open AP named xxxx-wifi. Yay! On the phone i think i was able to see that the Nano was the only current internet access, then i used Termux to ping 8.8.8.8 so i guess it's working.

I see from some threads that i could be noisy and unintentionally messing with my neighbors' wifi with the Deny Mode, so i did 'halt' and shut down for the day. One little step at a time i guess. Later tonight or tomorrow i will have to read up on the use of filters.

• 10 months later...

hey guys I just read those comments and I know they're over a year old I'm new to this I just purchased the WiFi pineapple nano tactical I'm trying to make sense out of what's being said since I feel that I'm having the same issue what I want to do is use my cell phone only no laptop. I already have it set up everything is working fine however I want to connect the USB dongle which I believe will set wlan2 correct? And how do I access my dashboard on my Android device? I'm able to connect via Wi-Fi to the pineapple I type in the IP address but nothing happens I can't connect any tips anybody? so basically I want to connect my Android wirelessly to the pineapple while it has the USB dongle even though I know the dongle is not used for me being able to connect cuz I believe I can connect to the pineapple without the USB dongle from what I understand the USB dongle is necessary for wlan2 so is there anyway I can control the pineapple through my Android phone while it's still has the USB dongle connection?

Archived