Dual Core extreme x6800 vs. Dual Core extreme quad core

haxorflakes

I am thinking about building a new computer for gaming, video editing and other things. i read the quads where not very good in a magazine, so i thought i would ask for help from other people who might have one. If anyone would tell me which one of these are better for gaming and things like that, that would be great. Here are some things that newegg listed about the products

X6800

64 bit Support: Yes

FSB: 1066MHz

Hyper-Threading Support: No

L1 Cache: 32KB+32KB

L2 Cache: 4M shared

Multi-Core: Dual-Core

Process Type: 65 nm

Series: Core 2 Extreme

Quad info

64 bit Support: Yes

FSB: 1066MHz

Hyper-Threading Support: No

L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB

L2 Cache: 2 x 4MB

Multi-Core: Quad-Core

Process Type: 65 nm

Series: Core 2 Extreme

With multicore and/or multichip systems, you need the app your using to be designed to use the core simutaniously(multithreaded ?), to get real performance gains.

But if you run lots of apps simutaniously,(photoshop,ripping dvd,rendering video, etc) you shouldn't see any slow down. Of course youll need a shit ton of ram though.

Quad, and to a certain extent Dual core chips won't help with gaming. There intended more for workstations, which is where you will see the main benefits they offer. I believe that the Quake 4 and source engines are SMP capable though.

Quad, and to a certain extent Dual core chips won't help with gaming. There intended more for workstations, which is where you will see the main benefits they offer. I believe that the Quake 4 and source engines are SMP capable though.

Quake 4 does support multi-core CPUs, but the source engine only supports single core and quad core processors (so if you have a dual core CPU (or two CPUs), it will only use one) I believe.

Of course youll need a shit ton of ram though.
is that metric or imperial? :P

on a more serious note, he is right.

Multiple cores need applications to be designed to use them. or you need to run multiple applications to use them. such as, if i were to rip a dvd on my computer (being a single core) and then try to run a game, i'd notice a severe performance drop. if i were to do this on a multi-core system, i'd notice little to no performance drop.

i find it hard to explain further without delving into software design.

Does any one have any idea of how WIndows manages the core usage? From what I can tell it always lumps every thing on the first core (or CPU) unless the program is multi-threaded or you tell it to run it on the other core.
from what i can tell using hyperthreading, it gives priority to the first core, and when that is in use, chucks the process to the next core etc. it seems to be pretty balanced. you can set processor affinity manually though.

Screw it, buy the Quad. Will be worth it this time next year, and even more worth it in 5 years. Just max out the ram, and be aware that you might have to wait for the games to catch up with your hardware. Will rock if you do Proper Work on your pc though.

ok, and while talkin bout makin this i mine as well post what im gunna build, so here goes

-Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower

-Not sure what sound card (any ideas would be great)

-BFG Tech BFGR1000WPSU ATX 12V 2.2/EPS 12V 2.91 1000W Power Supply

-eVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Video Card

-2X 18X DVD Drive

-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB 3.5" IDE Hard Drive - OEM

-2X 1 gb some brand of SDRAM DDR2 800

-ECS PN2-SLI2+ (V1.0) Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

-Intel core 2 extreme Quad core

anything im missing or suggestions would be awsome!

thanks for all the help