Linux on a old beaten up laptop - stable...

KasiorMC

on the live 001 episode an quastion has been brought up. yeat, i haven't found a related topic here.

the problem is with a old (well, in some terms) laptop.

i can't get any begginer (as i am a begginer) disribution to work (stabe) on my lappy. the system feezes after a coulpe of seconds after the GUI starts working.

i allready tested some of the more popular distros like mandrake, mandriva, xbuntu (latest) and all of them behaved the same way.

so is there anyone who can suggest any stable distributoin for dummies?

and hera are the specs:

p3 700MHz, 128MB of RAM, 40GB HDD (the old one died...)

- the system was sold under a name Gericom Webboy, dough thise ware sold labled as maxdata, actina and many other names.

The ram is going to be an issue for GNOME or KDE, so if you insist on having a GUI look at something like Fluxbox instead. And for distros look at debian or freebsd, there perfect for something like this. Do you have the error logs from X? Might be a problem with X and your video chip.

The ram is going to be an issue for GNOME or KDE, so if you insist on having a GUI look at something like Fluxbox instead. And for distros look at debian or freebsd, there perfect for something like this. Do you have the error logs from X? Might be a problem with X and your video chip.

Gnome is going to run fine... make sure you have a good swap partition... and Yes! Debian rules!

I’ve run Debian with Fluxbox on laptops with P2’s with less RAM then that, and they where very stable.

metatron do you use xorg or xfree86 with debian/fluxbox?

xfree86

debian sid comes with Xorg

I also use a custom kernel.

Its Linux, the reason I run it is I like to get my hands dirty and you can do whatever you what to it.

hmm for ur specs i suggest using DSL, its lightweight has a full install and runs great of low than good systems.

- Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram

- Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)

it pretty much matches ur Specs. i dont suggest it in the way of a great OS that has all the best featuresm but its great for newcomers to linux, has all the 'standard' package installs, and supports most linux programs, also comes with a nice driver collection so will work on most machiens.

link: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

• 3 years later...