• DEVILLINUX
    • SMOOTHWALL
    • Build your own based on Windows
    • Build your own based on DEBIAN
    • Build your own based on FREEBSD
    • Build your own based on OPENBSD
    • hmm... What's a firewall?

hardware firewall for me :p

A hardware firewall still has to run some software, most likely proprietary and made by Cisco. Not that that is such a bad thing, but you rely on Cisco to release updates for there software when vulnerabilities/bugs are discovered. There in the problem lies, once Cisco have sold you there product they have no real incentive to fix any broken software, Where as open source software tends to get fix far more quickly (often < 48 hours of discovery if it's like an ultra critical thing).

once Cisco have sold you there product they have no real incentive to fix any broken software

This is what Service Level Agreements and support contracts are for. Believe me, you can get your product installed in mission-critical locations only when you can show that your product is solid and capable, and equally of not more importantly that should for whatever reason something go sour, there'll be someone knowledgable nearby that can fix the problem quickly.

Cisco has just that.

Only reason being that I've used FreeBSD myself but not OpenBSD. There are differences sure, but FreeBSD is so easy to setup your grandma could do it sitting on her hands. OpenBSD would probally be a lot better if sercurity is what your after, and I have no idea about any differences in I/O capability they have. You might also want to look at WRAP boxes with m0n0wall preloaded if the footprint is important.

Only reason being that I've used FreeBSD myself but not OpenBSD. There are differences sure, but FreeBSD is so easy to setup your grandma could do it sitting on her hands. OpenBSD would probally be a lot better if sercurity is what your after, and I have no idea about any differences in I/O capability they have. You might also want to look at WRAP boxes with m0n0wall preloaded if the footprint is important.

So would you guys consider m0n0wall to be a good firewall?

anyone has tried to the PPTP VPN access?! is that secure, can I trust it to access my stuff from some remote place? would it be encrypted!? better than opening FTP to access my files at home, right?