New Wifi Pineapple Nano Not Working on Windows

RubberDucky13

I recently bought the wifi pineapple nano and have been experiencing a ton of problems trying to set it up through windows. When I first set it up everything was fine and as normal but when trying to connect my phone as a client, nothing would work even though the pineapple was pulling up the bulletins. After a while of trying a few different things the nano wouldn't even connect to the internet anymore. I have since tried to reset it with the button on the bottom and now when browsing to its IP, I can't even set it up anymore through the web browser. Does anyone have any ideas for me I'm getting extremely frustrated.

40 minutes ago, RubberDucky13 said:

Does anyone have any ideas for me

When I experiment and mess something up to the point I cant recover it through ssh I always do a "Firmware Recovery" shown here https://wifipineapple.github.io/wifipineapple-wiki//#!troubleshooting.md

I haven't not been able to recover my nano yet.

12 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

When I experiment and mess something up to the point I cant recover it through ssh I always do a "Firmware Recovery" shown here https://wifipineapple.github.io/wifipineapple-wiki//#!troubleshooting.md

I haven't not been able to recover my nano yet.

Okay I am definitely doing something wrong, I just followed the instructions  but when it asks me to go to 192.168.1.1 and update the firmware I just get sent to my routers page, which makes sense. Should I disconnect my laptop from my router first?

Just now, RubberDucky13 said:

Okay I am definitely doing something wrong, I just followed the instructions  but when it asks me to go to 192.168.1.1 and update the firmware I just get sent to my routers page, which makes sense. Should I disconnect my laptop from my router first?

First download the special factory version of the firmware. Then disconnect from your router. Then re-flash your nano. Thats what I do.

22 minutes ago, Just_a_User said:

First download the special factory version of the firmware. Then disconnect from your router. Then re-flash your nano. Thats what I do.

Worked perfectly and now with the factory version I still can't do anything. There has to be something that I'm doing wrong. I plug it in waiting for the solid blue led and then go to 172.16.42.1 and I don't receive any web page : /

43 minutes ago, RubberDucky13 said:

Worked perfectly and now with the factory version I still can't do anything. There has to be something that I'm doing wrong. I plug it in waiting for the solid blue led and then go to 172.16.42.1 and I don't receive any web page : /

I bet its something windows is doing to the network settings. I haven't used windows in ages so if it were me I would delete the network interface and recreate it. Or use Linux.

I have now set up the nano and am able to connect to it perfectly but I'm back to my original problem that when I try to connect to the pineapple using my phone I receive a "Unable to join the network" any ideas on this one? Also I still can't connect to the internet through the pineapple. Thanks @Just_a_User your suggestions really helped! also I changed accounts because my other account wasn't letting me post and it was pissing me off. 

2 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

I bet its something windows is doing to the network settings. I haven't used windows in ages so if it were me I would delete the network interface and recreate it. Or use Linux.

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
172.16.42.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 br-lan

This is what my routing table on the nano looks like anything you see wrong? I'm really desperate at this point I've been trying to get this to work for hours.

br-lan    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:C0:CA:90:C4:C8
          inet addr:172.16.42.1  Bcast:172.16.42.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:4257 errors:0 dropped:22 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:4493 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1036301 (1012.0 KiB)  TX bytes:2344190 (2.2 MiB)

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:C0:CA:90:C4:C8
          RX packets:4310 errors:0 dropped:4 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:4508 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1109728 (1.0 MiB)  TX bytes:2344854 (2.2 MiB)
          Interrupt:4

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1
          RX packets:1478 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:1478 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:104374 (101.9 KiB)  TX bytes:104374 (101.9 KiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:C0:CA:90:95:CF
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:623 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:69743 (68.1 KiB)

wlan0-1   Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 02:C0:CA:90:95:CF
          RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:623 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:540 (540.0 B)  TX bytes:69277 (67.6 KiB)

wlan1mon  Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-C0-CA-90-AD-DB-00-44-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING PROMISC ALLMULTI  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:32709 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          RX bytes:7672477 (7.3 MiB)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

7 hours ago, DaRealSatoshi said:

This is what my routing table on the nano looks like anything you see wrong? I'm really desperate at this point I've been trying to get this to work for hours.

If he nano is connected to a host via USB Its not getting an IP on eth0 nor can it find its gateway.

what are you trying to do? Internet connection sharing?

from what it seems he is just trying to connect to an AP and cant, have you set up mac filtering properly :)

5 minutes ago, hackabus said:

from what it seems he is just trying to connect to an AP and cant, have you set up mac filtering properly :)

Ahhh ok, Connect the NANO to an AP using a 3rd radio wlan2? or connect clients to the pineapple network? If its the latter then yes, the filter needs to be set to include the MAC of the device being given access.

On 12/30/2017 at 4:09 AM, Just_a_User said:

Ahhh ok, Connect the NANO to an AP using a 3rd radio wlan2? or connect clients to the pineapple network? If its the latter then yes, the filter needs to be set to include the MAC of the device being given access.

I  now am able to share internet between my pineapple and my home network but still can't get any clients to connect. I'll try your suggestion of filtering the mac of the client I'm trying to add

11 hours ago, DaRealSatoshi said:

Okay I am able to connect my phone to the management wifi network but still can't connect to the open access point. Any ideas? also I don't know where I should add the mac address @Just_a_User

The filter page of the Pineapple UI is where you need to look. You will see "Client  filtering", and below it an input box to add remove mac addresses to the filter.

The filter mode Allow, only allows listed MAC's to join, while Deny mode specifically deny's connection to the listed MAC's.

9 hours ago, Just_a_User said:

The filter page of the Pineapple UI is where you need to look. You will see "Client  filtering", and below it an input box to add remove mac addresses to the filter.

The filter mode Allow, only allows listed MAC's to join, while Deny mode specifically deny's connection to the listed MAC's.

Worked perfectly. I'm sorry for all of the questions, can't wait to actually learn the ins and outs of the nano. Happy Holidays and thanks again!

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, JasonD said:

Can I not connect to the Pineapple in client mode without having to apply a mac address filter?  Seems a bit pointless to have one if you are trying to get people to connect to your access point.

No, but if you want to allow clients onto the open access point of the pineapple, they will need to be allowed in.

Archived