Suggested products for a newbie

Kayjay

Hi all,

Newbie here!  I'm teaching myself how to analyze and hack my own network.  I have worked with Wireshark and Charles debugging proxy - very little!

I'm interested in purchasing some Hak5 products and thought I would ask the community, which ones to start with.  My initial goals are to monitor traffic and extract passwords.  

Between Opendns, Wireshark and Charles, I have a good idea regarding the sites being visited on my network and would like to take this further.  So far, I'm looking at the Wifi Pineapple and Bash Bunny.  

Thanks!

You might also have a look at the LAN Turtle and the Packet Squirrel. Check out the sub-forums and the Hak5 introductions episodes at Youtube.Both tools aim at networking yet with a different approach.

Maybe the good old USB Rubber Ducky is something for you too. 

A good start for product information (apart from the forum): https://www.hak5.org/gear

Edited by Broti

10 hours ago, Kayjay said:

Hi all,

Newbie here!  I'm teaching myself how to analyze and hack my own network.  I have worked with Wireshark and Charles debugging proxy - very little!

I'm interested in purchasing some Hak5 products and thought I would ask the community, which ones to start with.  My initial goals are to monitor traffic and extract passwords.  

Between Opendns, Wireshark and Charles, I have a good idea regarding the sites being visited on my network and would like to take this further.  So far, I'm looking at the Wifi Pineapple and Bash Bunny.  

Thanks!

If you wanna go for the pineapple, go for the TETRA cause Nano sucks. For USB, BashBunny all the way. 100x better than the ducky, it can do so much more stuff.

If you really want the ducky, I would recommend the malduino. It's the same as the rubberducky but much cheaper. All payload are compatible with the ducky.

Link here: https://malduino.com/

1 hour ago, RazerBlade said:

For USB, BashBunny all the way. 100x better than the ducky, it can do so much more stuff.

Sorry, but I beg to differ. They cover different areas of attack style, except a certain amount of similarities. Darren made a post in the topic Ducky VS Bunny which nails it imho.

1 hour ago, Broti said:

Sorry, but I beg to differ. They cover different areas of attack style, except a certain amount of similarities. Darren made a post in the topic Ducky VS Bunny which nails it imho.

Fair enough. But I still stand by it that the Bunny is overall much more effective than the ducky. Sure, the ducky may be fast but if you are getting into these kinds of attack, the best tool is the BashBunny in my opinion.

Different tools for different jobs.

For our OP:

Hi, welcome. In all honestly, learn how your own systems work, then setup a test bench of sorts and then decide what you want to concentrate on. From there, that is when you will know what tool suits you best. Though they are all rather good to say the least.

11 minutes ago, RazerBlade said:

the best tool is the BashBunny in my opinion

That's okay with me. :smile:

The bunny does have its advantages such as more sophisticated attack patterns.

Edited by Broti