Announcement video

sundhaug92

Still confused as to why it's called a MITM attack when it's a squirrel that's nuts for networks..SITM makes a lot more sense here :P

But anyway, watched the livestream (without the 'live' part, sadly), interesting that Hak5 brought out 2 more variants of the LAN Turtle as the Packet Squirrel basically replaces the LAN Turtle while adding loads more features. The Packet Squirrel does look quite interesting, still considering if it's worth the $73 USD..

Also, @Sebkinne (sorry for tagging you but I wanted to tell you..) the documentation for the Packet Squirrel is really good! Is that your work? It would be good if the same could be done for other devices (specifically the Bash Bunny..)

Edited by Dave-ee Jones

Just now, Dave-ee Jones said:

USB to ethernet...? Which is what the LAN Turtle does anyway?

No. The Packet Squirrel is ethernet to ethernet, with the possibility of using USB storage to store loot, so it has to act as an USB host. The LAN Turtle is USB to ethernet, so it's a USB client. While the Packet Squirrel has USB-A, it's a female connector for external storage. The Packet Squirrel gets power from micro-USB. 

27 minutes ago, sundhaug92 said:

No. The Packet Squirrel is ethernet to ethernet, with the possibility of using USB storage to store loot, so it has to act as an USB host. The LAN Turtle is USB to ethernet, so it's a USB client. While the Packet Squirrel has USB-A, it's a female connector for external storage. The Packet Squirrel gets power from micro-USB. 

You misunderstand, I meant you could use a USB-to-ethernet adapter for the Packet Squirrel.

However, yes, I believe you are correct in terms of the USB types of each device.

1 minute ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

You misunderstand, I meant you could use a USB-to-ethernet adapter for the Packet Squirrel.

However, yes, I believe you are correct in terms of the USB types of each device.

Sure, but why use two devices when you can do it in one?

3 minutes ago, Dave-ee Jones said:

Which is what I was getting at with the Packet Squirrel-could-probably-replace-the-LAN-Turtle-because-the-Packet Squirrel-can-do-the-same-thing..

Depends on the situation. For example, a USB-ethernet adapter + cabling + packet squirrel costs more than the Turtle and it looks more suspicious. 

Looking at both in front of me, depending on the situation would define which I would use.

I know many a comms rack where a lan turtle would have questions asked, but a squirrel would not.

And I know many places where a USB to ethernet adapter is perfectly fine and no one would question it.

Know your deployment area.