Code Challenge : Win 3.1

Kateweb

Win 3.1 will run on anything I'm told by someone I know and he also says that it will work with any device , so i ask him to get an iPod to work - he dosen't know how.

Challenge 1 make an iPod work with Win3.1 no you don't have to use iTunes but you have to be able to sync it.

Challenge 2 put 3.1 on an iPod your choice on how to get it to work.

I will be giving my ushal cookies for best work as judged by the comunity.

Honestly, you kids. Windows 3.1 was a horrible time, why do you want to go back there? Anyhoo... 3.1 lacks USB or Firewire, pretty major hurdle really. Plus itunes would run like a dog.

Yeah I know, thats whay I said you don't have to use it- mainly this is basd of a kid at school buging me that 3.1 is the one and only *cough* anyway I thought this could be a little bit of fun for someone.

I don't have an iPod to test this but if iPods can be read as mass storage devices then you could use the USB/USB Mass Storage drivers available for MSDOS. Windows 3.1, being based on MSDOS, uses whatever drives MSDOS provides it access to and the iPod would (in theory) show up as a hard drive.

If this isn't possible then you're stuck. iTunes itself will not run on Windows 3.1 because there's no 16-bit version and 32-bit extentions (Win32) will not be enough to force iTunes (or even a new enough version of QuickTime) to think it's on a 32-bit OS. I'm not even sure if iTunes will run correctly on Windows 95 and if that's the case then 3.1 is beyond doubt out of the question.

As for Windows 3.1 on an iPod I can only think of one way to accomplish that - install iPod Linux, compile Bochs for it and install away. Installing's gonna be impossible with no mouse or keyboard so follow the tutorials for Windows on a PSP but alter accordingly to accomodate for the differences introduced by using an iPod. Don't expect it to run at all quickly, that sort of device would have trouble running even Windows 3.1 and I could imagine it would even be sluggish during the DOS parts of the boot sequence.

Honestly, you kids. Windows 3.1 was a horrible time, why do you want to go back there? Anyhoo... 3.1 lacks USB or Firewire, pretty major hurdle really. Plus itunes would run like a dog.

word 3.11 for workstations was the real dillio though!

lol

I miss the ski game where bigfoot eats you if you go over 2000 ft off course

anyways, Vmware, with USB to Serial driver ftw

I remember reading some where that Windows 3.1 won't run on the AMD 64 processors. I have no idea if this is true or not, but I have seen several motherboards with big red warnings that say "Windows ME and lower are not supported, you must install at least Windows 2000". I suspect it has some thing to do with buffer overflow protection on the hardware.

Oddly enough this would be easy if you didn't want to be fancy. Rip the iPod open, Interface with the hard drive and install. No longer an iPod really but you didn't say it had to use all of the iPod. I belive you could also use the same linux emulation used on the PSP to run windows 95. It would be slow as death but i think it would at least boot. I think this idea is similar to how they get Doom running on it.

As for the connection my guess would be you could use some custom software and a serial interface though the USB. Or just go with the mass storage idea though DOS of moonlit.

Challenge 2 put 3.1 on an iPod your choice on how to get it to work.

Last time I checked, Win 3.1 was x86 only, and the iPod uses rather different hardware. I don't expect Bochs to be able to run on the iPod, but it would be your best chance of doing this.