Clients won't Associate with Rogue AP

LogicalUnit

Hi everyone,

I got my WiFi Pineapple Nano a couple of days ago, and I have started to experiment with it. So far, I am trying to copy what Darren does in this tutorial video, which is basic use as a rogue Access Point with PineAP.

I have set up internet connection sharing, and my Pineapple has internet access. Recon is working, and I can see my target Access Point and Client. I have enabled PineAP daemon, and ticked all the boxes in PineAP configuration. I can send deauthorisation commands, and under Logging I am getting multiple Probe Requests from my target machine. However, it won't connect as a client. Both Client Filtering and SSID Filtering lists are empty (both in deny mode). On my dashboard I have 15 SSIDs in Pool, but 0 clients connected.

I am using pineapple firmware 1.0.6, host device is Windows 7 64-bit (Google Chrome).

• Upvote 2

Not every device works the same way. There is a big differenc in manufactor, model and OS.
I never was able to deauth a Windows PC >8.1 for example which is no problem with Windows XP or an Android device.

Under Windows 10 you will only see a small part of all broadcast SSID´s, but under Windows 7 you see the complete list. So on device will connect to your pineapple and the other won´t. Some security software warn or prevent if you want to connect to an unencrypted wifi like ESET under Windows and Android.

Just try it with another device.

I've had a go from a Windows 10 64-bit machine with the same result. Are you sure it's the host OS? It seems unlikely to me that this would affect how the Pineapple operates.

EDIT: I have tried using my Pineapple from a Kali Linux VM, and the result is the same. In addition, my Pineapple frequently becomes unresponsive, and requires a reboot. Is this a known issue for firmware 1.0.6?

Edited by LogicalUnit

I don´t mean the Host is - i mean the target itself.

In addition, my Pineapple frequently becomes unresponsive, and requires a reboot. Is this a known issue for firmware 1.0.6?

No, it´s not. Mine is stable. Maybe you are running to much modules the same time. Please check your process and cpu load on shell with "top" for example.

• 4 months later...
On 12/24/2016 at 7:30 PM, 3dgenfire said:

So similar issue...my iPhone sits at "Security Recommendation" when testing this on my home network. I see the client in the list, I see the probe requests, but what isn't happening is the target client isn't either being allowed to connect or is not connecting to the internet.

Same issue here with the latest firmware. I am just getting connection drops when I try to access anything from the internet from my iPhone and it doesn't show the icon of the wifi connection at the top bar at all, when I go to its Wifi Settings it is sitting on this network which is being shown as open with a "Security Recommendation" mark. 

Is this an iPhone behaviour or anything wrong?

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Milind Purswani said:

I am having the same issues with my WiFi PineApple nano. I don't know, if it is possible to switch back to previous firmware. I hope Hak5 takes this bug seriously and get it resolved as soon as possible.

As you say you have "same issues", I'm referencing the old post (2016) issues and possible solutions.

On 8/10/2016 at 6:41 AM, LogicalUnit said:

I am trying to copy what Darren does in this tutorial video, which is basic use as a rogue Access Point with PineAP

Could it be that your trying this attack against a WPA2 encrypted network? in the video it demonstrates an open network.  Worth a check as this makes a huge difference to the results.

On 8/12/2016 at 4:21 AM, LogicalUnit said:

I have tried using my Pineapple from a Kali Linux VM, and the result is the same. In addition, my Pineapple frequently becomes unresponsive, and requires a reboot.

It sounds like it could be a power related issue, make sure it has enough power. Try using "Y" lead and connecting data to laptop/pc and power to a wall charger or battery power bank.

On 8/10/2016 at 6:41 AM, LogicalUnit said:

I am using pineapple firmware 1.0.6,

Wouldn't hurt to update to newer version - as you can see here there are some changes and bug fixes since 1.0.6 https://www.wifipineapple.com/downloads

I have found that a lot of modern devices still work with this attack however they now do things like "avoid poor connections" etc so if the pineapple provides no Internet or poor internet then it can be that the devices disconnect quickly after joining. This can be OS and device specific I think.

3 hours ago, i8igmac said:

correct me if im wrong, I believe Its the devices you wish to connect are no longer vulnerable to this attack.

Even if they were not to be vulnerable to this attack, my WiFi Pineapple won't allow client to associate to it, even with a Rogue Access Point. And as far as devices are concerned, none of my devices get associated that includes, my Android phone (5.1), my laptop (Windows 7). 

I have upgraded my firmware to v1.1.3 

1 hour ago, Just_a_User said:

As you say you have "same issues", I'm referencing the old post (2016) issues and possible solutions.

Could it be that your trying this attack against a WPA2 encrypted network? in the video it demonstrates an open network.  Worth a check as this makes a huge difference to the results.

It sounds like it could be a power related issue, make sure it has enough power. Try using "Y" lead and connecting data to laptop/pc and power to a wall charger or battery power bank.

Wouldn't hurt to update to newer version - as you can see here there are some changes and bug fixes since 1.0.6 https://www.wifipineapple.com/downloads

I have found that a lot of modern devices still work with this attack however they now do things like "avoid poor connections" etc so if the pineapple provides no Internet or poor internet then it can be that the devices disconnect quickly after joining. This can be OS and device specific I think.

Yes, I am trying to create a Rogue Access Point of a WPA2 Network. But I don't think that has to do anything with Rogue Access Point of mine.

3 minutes ago, Milind Purswani said:

Even if they were not to be vulnerable to this attack, my WiFi Pineapple won't allow client to associate to it, even with a Rogue Access Point. And as far as devices are concerned, none of my devices get associated that includes, my Android phone (5.1), my laptop (Windows 7). 

I have upgraded my firmware to v1.1.3 

Also, I am using Y cable. 

6 minutes ago, Milind Purswani said:

I am trying to create a Rogue Access Point of a WPA2 Network.

This wont normally work, you are asking a device to change its encryption type for a known network - i.e. deauth from wpa2 network and expecting it to join an open network with same name - not usually gunna happen.

Unless you already know the password of the WPA2 network. then you can try an EvilTwin style attack hoping you have stronger signal to client than the client has to original router.

Edited by Just_a_User