Need Help!!

Rob9362

Hi everyone I am fairly new to coding and programming I have been reading books and doing tutorials for like 6 months now but I was wondering if anyone had any good projects that I could work on to get a better grasp of it any ideas will be appreciated.

What language would that need to be in?

Also, what programming topics are you working on or maybe already somewhat familiar with? Think stuff like databases, database interaction, webservice, web communications client, website, fat client application, telephone app... The world is your oyster.

For starters you could write a password generator. 

Depending on the programming language you could also check projects of interest on github for example.

The coding languages I mainly focus on are python and C++. I am familiar with most topics as I've been studying them and doing online tutorials but I honestly haven't been able to put it into practice yet to be confident in any of them.

Thank you Broti and Cooper

The thing is that I could suggest something, but if it's not something you're keen on doing you'll just grow bored and will likely never see your thing reach its full potential.

So find something that captures your imagination. I started coding by making a program to keep track of my beer label collection (parents wanted me to get a hobby. It... didn't work out as they planned). Flat file, search, entry and update, that's it. I wrote it in MS Basic. FUCKING BASIC! I then built upon that as I decided upon features that would make it easier for me to do what I wanted to do or learned about ways to make the thing perform better. Eventually I rewrote the sucker in Turbo Pascal and straight C later still. Sure, all of it was rubbish by my current standards. DOESN'T MATTER! It's your own program. It doesn't have to be perfect to the eyes of the world. And humans learn from doing shit wrong and either realizing or being told it's wrong. Some sad humans get really upset because they don't like the way they're being told what they did is wrong, but as long as the comment you receive contains something that is indeed wrong or something to improve upon (from the commenter's viewpoint at least) you'll gain an insight in how others are using your program, at which point you can either say "good call, let me add that" or "if you give me a patch that enables this I'll apply it" or "that's not how I envision my program, make your own if you feel you really need this". One of the biggest lessons I learned was when I wrote a networking server program in C and got put in charge of keeping the sucker running 24/7. You learn the value of proper logging, inspectability and the pitfalls of memory leaks REAL fast.

After you make a little proggy to scratch your own itch, learned a bit and grow tired of improving it, look for programs you use on a regular basis and see if they could use some feature that currently isn't in there. Ask how the people currently involved in the development of that program feel about the feature. Be clear that if they feel it's a worthwhile addition, you'll try to build it. Most sensible developers will give you a global overview of where they expect you need to be in the code tree to make your feature. You don't have to do it like that, but it helps if you want them to accept your patch once you've made it and with a bit of luck they'll have pointed you to the way in which you achieve success with the least amount of effort while still creating something proper. Don't go jumping into huge, complex programs like OpenSSH or Firefox or Wine because you'll need a while to come to grips with that codebase and their potentially unique coding style and techniques - leave that for later, when you feel more confident in your own abilities.

Thank you cooper that has been the main issue finding something that can keep me interested as most things are basically just read and copy on the online tutorials.

I think I may have a few ideas for just a few test projects like you said for just practice and tuning my skills.

I rarely do things for no reason so having projects with no actual plan or intentions for them is a bit weird for me haha.

I teach computer programming, what I tell my students to do when they ask me for a good personal project is to automate something that they do when they turn on their computer such as open their web browser and go a facebook or find an API for something like a weather service or googles geo location APIs and build a program that utilizes it.

• 6 months later...
On 5/31/2016 at 7:15 AM, Rob9362 said:

Hi everyone I am fairly new to coding and programming I have been reading books and doing tutorials for like 6 months now but I was wondering if anyone had any good projects that I could work on to get a better grasp of it any ideas will be appreciated.

Right now, making desktop apps like this one is a good trend for personal. I have several friends doing it full time.