Firewalls

jrperry

I am looking for information on firewalls. I currently use IPFire and love the interface and the ease of use; but, I want to know it is actually a good product before I get too involved.

Are there any sites that benchmark open source firewalls? I don't want to become a fan boy before I know it can compete with the more well known names.

Just google and you will find enough sites and stuff

-> http://www.mondaiji.com/blog/other/it/10175-the-hunt-for-the-ultimate-free-open-source-firewall-distro

-> http://www.tecmint.com/open-source-security-firewalls-for-linux-systems/

IPFire is a good Firewall by the way. And if you like it - use it!

You need to check what features you need and than start to compare. There is no "BEST FIREWALL FOR EVERYONE"!

I for my part use pfSense because i love FreeBSD and it has all features i need.

If possible use a own Hardware and no VM. Don´t use a "Firewall" that comes with a cloud, printerservice etc. This has nothing to do with a security product.

I use pfsense on an Alix box that sits at the entry point to my network, does everything I need it to do.

Friend was telling me about pfsense a couple years ago looked way over my head on setting up but from what i seen the security is nice he was giving me a tour of his pfsense setup i haven't seen or talked to him on skype in months now.

I changed from a ALIX Board to the follower APU 1C. That small board comes with 4GB RAM, AMD G series T40E 1 GHz dual core (Bobcat core) with 64 bit support and a 32 GB Kingston mSSD.

Tested some Firewall but none of them was that stable and has all features i need like pfSense. But this i only my point of view.

Friend was telling me about pfsense a couple years ago looked way over my head on setting up but from what i seen the security is nice he was giving me a tour of his pfsense setup i haven't seen or talked to him on skype in months now.

If you get in to the really complex stuff then I'm sure it can easily go over most peoples heads but if all you want is something to lock out people and maybe have a couple of PAT/NAT ports open then it is pretty easy to set up. It even does some things for you such as offering to open the firewall when you set up a NAT port.

Another option which is quite fun is to use fwbuilder, that is a nice GUI that lets you drag and drop a firewall which you then compile to a set of iptables rules which you can deploy on any linux box. I use that for a few boxes I've got with hosting providers which don't have the option to have a separate firewall.

If you get in to the really complex stuff then I'm sure it can easily go over most peoples heads but if all you want is something to lock out people and maybe have a couple of PAT/NAT ports open then it is pretty easy to set up. It even does some things for you such as offering to open the firewall when you set up a NAT port.

Another option which is quite fun is to use fwbuilder, that is a nice GUI that lets you drag and drop a firewall which you then compile to a set of iptables rules which you can deploy on any linux box. I use that for a few boxes I've got with hosting providers which don't have the option to have a separate firewall.

http://www.amazon.com/pfSense-2-Cookbook-Matt-Williamson-ebook/dp/B0055Y79EG/ref=sr_1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1412078373&sr=1-2&keywords=pfsense

Is a pretty good beginner book to get the basics, and not so basics going, step by step pictures as well.

Edited by barry99705

From reading just that side of it it seems like they were screwed and then acted to recover, maybe a bit harshly but doing what they needed to do. Guess I'd need to read around the topic to understand it better.