Spare system questions.

sadisticsaviorx

Recently I traded a mobo and cpu for a dell dimension 2400, but im not sure what to do with it.

Specs

- Pentium 4 2.6ghz

- 512mb ram

- 200gb hdd (added)

I wanted to turn it into a nas...but it seems like a waste.. so i wanted to put stepmania on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something to do with it or how i can reach my goal of a "Stepmania NAS". :)

You don't really need a monitor with freeBSD, apart from the initial install. Just make sure you enable SSH at install time and then use Putty to login from your main machine. It makes a great little system that way, and you can get a suprising amount learnt by using SSH on a headless system. In "the real world" your not going to have monitors on server or appliance boxes so its a good learning expirence to get used to it like that.

Then you can run your NAS, FTP, maybe a little webserver as well... stuff like that. I'm mainly recommending this to you as your machine seems to powerful to waste on a stand alone NAS, and without a monitor for it your not going to be running it as a Linux Desktop. Why FreeBSD? Its just (IMHO) a little more logical and easier to learn than linux, and you can do more with it in a shorter space of time than with a comparable linux install. IMHO.

You don't really need a monitor with freeBSD, apart from the initial install. Just make sure you enable SSH at install time and then use Putty to login from your main machine. It makes a great little system that way, and you can get a suprising amount learnt by using SSH on a headless system. In "the real world" your not going to have monitors on server or appliance boxes so its a good learning expirence to get used to it like that.

Then you can run your NAS, FTP, maybe a little webserver as well... stuff like that. I'm mainly recommending this to you as your machine seems to powerful to waste on a stand alone NAS, and without a monitor for it your not going to be running it as a Linux Desktop. Why FreeBSD? Its just (IMHO) a little more logical and easier to learn than linux, and you can do more with it in a shorter space of time than with a comparable linux install. IMHO.

I like those ideas, but o don't know how i can fit stepmania into that.

Im sure it can be done and i should try to, but i dont have much experience with any other OS besides Os X and windows.

If someone is willing to help me out im willing to give it a try.

EDIT: oh, and thanks for all the suggestion!

EDIT2: I installed FreeBSD 6.1 last night and i cant get kdm to come up and i dont know how to do all the things you suggested...

That would be nice folding@home rig

just install folding@home and VNC and then just network share the hard drive and you have a nas box that in the spare time fold's for a cure.

ou can just put it some where in a closet and just remote control it through vnc

I heard about some NAS software called FreeNAS but I've never used it and can't comment on how well it works (or doesn't work).

Folding@Home sounds good.

As for distros, FreeBSD is good and will give you some really good Unix experience, though I don't know how many businesses run FreeBSD (we run it so there's at least one :)). You can also load Xen on it and run as many different OS's as you want (Debian, Gentoo, Fedora Core, FreeBSD). I hear setting up Xen is a lot easier if you start with a Fedora Core base system.

Richard Bejtlich (http://taosecurity.blogspot.com) is a huge FreeBSD advocate and has an excellent security blog if you're into that sort of stuff.

If you've never used Linux (or FreeBSD) before, then you're in for a world full of learning. Everything you need to do is an experience. You'll start off with a specific task in hand and by the time you figure it all out you've learned a lot more than you thought you would. You'll also soon realize that Linux (or FreeBSD) is so much more powerful than Windows (not as pretty, but more powerful :)).

Good luck with whatever you choose.