Somewhat dissapointed... MKV

netentity

Shipment took a bit longer than anticipated but after reading everyone was at DEFCON I can let that one go even though it still took over a week from the time everyone returned. Package arrived today. Carefully removed everything and could find no SD-Card anywhere including in the device its self. Frustrating, but I thought, "well, I was going to replace it with a bigger, faster card anyway soooooo, I let that one go too. Reading the "Answers to common questions" says, "Check the SD card for the two files: "md5" and "upgrade.bin". If they are not present, please download one of the ZIP files from here and extract these to the root of the SD card, then try again." I click the "here" link expecting to be able to dowload a zip with the 2 files in it to unzip to the SD-Card only to find ONE file, "upgrade.bin". So, okay, what am I missing here?

Next I go to plug the Pineapple in. Use supplied PSU plugged into the device. No joy, no lights. Thankfully I happened to have another PSU that I could borrow from another piece of equipment (that I need back for the piece of equipment). Plugged it in and got lights so obviously the PSU is shot.

Im seriously hoping all this is just a one off, fluke kinda coincidence but it certainly doesn't instill confidence in the device or company. Awaiting response from company on how to handle the issues. In the meantime can anyone please direct me to where the "md5" file is that I'm told needs to be on the SD-Card along with the upgrade.bin file?

Thanks in advance.

You must download the firmware bellow, not the latest version of the firmware:

I wuold use the next method:

0.-Download this firmware (https://wifipineapple.com/mk5/factory-1.2.0.bin) (As you can see this is a FACTORY firmware)

1.-Put your new SD car on the pineapple.

2.-Connect it with the Ethernet cable and use the power line of your house/office (DO NOT use the battery to supplyy power to the pineapple)

3.-Set the pineapple to Recovery Web Interface. (PINs up, up, up, up, down)

4.-Configure your PC to (192.168.1.2)

5.-Access throu yor broser to http://192.168.1.1

6.-Flash with the firmware downloaded before.

7.-Afer Flashing (i would wait like 10 min to be sure it´s done) turn the PINs back up and reconfigure your network adapter.

8.-Reboot and configure Pineapple (set password)

9.-Format the SD with the resources infusion.

10.-Upgrade the pineapple firmware

11.-Install all the infusions that you want.

12.-Go pee, you are nervous because you have you brand new pineapple ready to go.

You must download the firmware bellow, not the latest version of the firmware:

I wuold use the next method:

0.-Download this firmware (https://wifipineapple.com/mk5/factory-1.2.0.bin) (As you can see this is a FACTORY firmware)

1.-Put your new SD car on the pineapple.

2.-Connect it with the Ethernet cable and use the power line of your house/office (DO NOT use the battery to supplyy power to the pineapple)

3.-Set the pineapple to Recovery Web Interface. (PINs up, up, up, up, down)

4.-Configure your PC to (192.168.1.2)

5.-Access throu yor broser to http://192.168.1.1

6.-Flash with the firmware downloaded before.

7.-Afer Flashing (i would wait like 10 min to be sure it´s done) turn the PINs back up and reconfigure your network adapter.

8.-Reboot and configure Pineapple (set password)

9.-Format the SD with the resources infusion.

10.-Upgrade the pineapple firmware

11.-Install all the infusions that you want.

12.-Go pee, you are nervous because you have you brand new pineapple ready to go.

Yup.... If everything is correct you should not have problems .... with explaining ARDETROYA ...

should not give you any problems if you do it exactly...

Regards

Followed the above instruction TO THE LETTER.....

The unit flashed the stock firmware but still refuses to boot. I'm just going to pack it all up, send it back and hope someone will send a replacement. I say "hope" because no one ever replied to my email I sent on the 20th and yes, I did also look in my spam folder. If I get a replacement and it too has "issues" well, that'll be just about it for me. All I can do at that time is try and get my money back. All in all, not a very pleasant experience thus far.

Thanks to those who did try to help though! Much appreciated.

MTA

netentity,

My deepest apologies. I haven't seen your email or issue until following up on the forums now - and I must say this is an absolute fluke. Our QA process intense, and you should have never received a dud. Please email Sara and I directy - sara@hak5.org and darren@hak5.org. We will get you a working unit in short order at no cost to you.

Post DEFCON the MK5 has changed considerably, and we're amidst a re-documentation phase.

All MK5s that leave the shop are pre-flashed with 1.2.0 - which means there is no more need for flashing an update.bin file from the SD card.

I am absolutely sincere when I give you my deepest apology. We pride ourselves on our little pineapple, and the experience you've documented gets me in the gut. Please reach out with you're order # or shipping address and we'll make this right immediately.

Darren

netentity,

My deepest apologies. I haven't seen your email or issue until following up on the forums now - and I must say this is an absolute fluke. Our QA process intense, and you should have never received a dud. Please email Sara and I directy - sara@hak5.org and darren@hak5.org. We will get you a working unit in short order at no cost to you.

Post DEFCON the MK5 has changed considerably, and we're amidst a re-documentation phase.

All MK5s that leave the shop are pre-flashed with 1.2.0 - which means there is no more need for flashing an update.bin file from the SD card.

I am absolutely sincere when I give you my deepest apology. We pride ourselves on our little pineapple, and the experience you've documented gets me in the gut. Please reach out with you're order # or shipping address and we'll make this right immediately.

Darren

Thank you very much Darren,

I sincerely believe you in that this actually was what I hoped it was, just a one off, fluke. It was a weird series of cascading events but I understand that every so often, $hit just happens in life and in business. :wink: I'll take you at your word that my problem will be corrected and mark this issue "resolved" in advance. My faith and confidence has been restored in Hak5 and eagerly await playing with and having many adventures with my new MKV.

I will email you and Sara shortly but since my complaint was posted publicly I also wanted all to publicly know how well the company has handled the issue and that I am now a happy camper. Thank you all for making today a good day... :grin:

MTA

Ooooh! I think the changes apply to the MKVs you were selling at DEFCON as well? The first time I was wading through the forums I read a lot about the update.bin thingy and I went "huh? I didn't have to do that!" and in fact one of the first things I did was to format the SD card. I prefer my filesystems open :smile:

That said, I didn't fire up my MKV 'till I was back home, and basically set it up, formatted the SD card, and went straight to update it to 2.0.2. As much as I was itching to tinker with my pineapple during DEFCON, I was (rightly) paranoid about having it 0wn3d by the mystery pineapple hunter... :blink:

Just ordered my pineapple, hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a dud. Looking forward to playing with it, and the Ducky!!!

I honestly and sincerely believe my experience was way out of the ordinary and just a one off, fluke. Darren replaced my Pineapple pronto and the new one is working flawlessly! As a matter of fact, firing it up and seeing the potential was an OMG experience. Back in the day I brown and black boxed my way through the early 80's and even though I've always maintained a certain "skill set" with the technology I'll admit those skills have rusted over a bit (okay, a lot) now that I'm an old fart. This device has sparked and rekindled my interest like nothing I've seen since playing on government computers over ARPANET.

Not only do I think Hak5 is a trustworthy, reputable, and honest company, I owe it/Darren an eternal debt of gratitude for making such a device that has given the enthusiasm, interest and sense of "system exploration" of the hacker I used to be back to me. Should you have ANY problems with your device I have complete confidence that the company will treat you as well as they have me.

Thank you Darren.