Smart Card's

film

Hi, well i was wondering if anyone here knows anything about smart card hacking. My school are getting Smart Card's for the canteen and what i have been told is work like this, you go to an office give some money and they will top up your card. Also if you lose it they will issue you a new card with your money still on as they would of disabled yo ur lost card. Does any one know any thing i can do with this.

Apparantly if the vending machines use them you can put it in, select what you want and as its producing the item remove your card and your card won't be charged but you will get the item.

It asks for you to put the card back in after it has finished to charge it.

I can't say this is true but thats what I heard.

These "canteens" card certainly only carries a crypted "id-number". Your money amount is linked to your name in a database. Such that the memory space used is little (and the chip is cheap). Also, the less the amount of personnal infos are on the card, the less number of privacy laws you have to read.

So, in order to cheat the database, you'll have to find the crypto algorithm or to make a bulk copy of another's card. Or maybe, you may crash the system if the card carries strange data that the application can't handle.

We have them smart cards in school too. Ours also have a bar code on the front for interface with the school libary system.

Today I just got off school for a week so, not this monday but the following I shall post pics of how the vending machines work.

BTW sorry for the "4 year old" pic of me on the card, please ignore that.

my card :

smartcardfjt9.jpg

smartcardben1.jpg

I was coded some software to work with these (and drive the readers too) back when I was in the IBM Student Chipcard Innovation Team.

Don't bother hacking the card. Won't work (and you'll lock your card up).

As suggested, you're better off focussing on hacking the app that utilizes the card.

You can protect 'files' on the card (each individually in fact) with a pin up to 8 digits in length, and you get 3 tries to open the file. If the 3rd is wrong, the file locks and you need a master key to reset the tries. While regular file keys, if set, are a mere 4 digits, master keys and keys on files that hold, say, the money amount on the card, are invariably 8 digits, and rather than risk the master key, they will issue you a new card (and make you pay for the inconvenience). If you can provide the actual card, banks will find out what money transfers went to and from it, determine how much should be left on it, and start out your new card with that amount. If you can't provide the card, the money is assumed stolen and you start with 0. As the payment of funds via a cardreader is an off-line transfer process (to a chip not unlike that on your own card) they can't block stolen cards, thus preventing them from being used until the money on it's been spent.

Only the software part. You should be able to get a reader for, like, 50 bucks. Check out a company called Towitoko. They used to have this really nice, thin, small reader for just shy of 100 guilders (yes, it's showing my age, isn't it). I believe you can also get testcards from them that you get all the master codes for so you can create new files, change old ones, etc. Well, except for that one file that clearly says it's a test card. :)