A little clarification about some things

Sabri

Hi all.

I am new and I have many doubts:

1. Are wlan0 and wlan1 interfaces especially related to some work in particular or they are interchangeable? Why should I have to enable them?

2. It seems that I can create a fake AP from the Karma infusion without starting Karma, is it right?

3. If I create a fake AP with Karma, on which interfaces clients connect to that AP?

Just for starting...and sorry for the noob questions :)

1. wlan0 is used for the creation of a real AP also it is used for Karma aka "fake" APs. wlan1 is used for client mode or jamming/deauthing and cannot be an AP. At least not at this time...

2. In the Karma tab you are simply setting the name of the real Access Point that wlan0 uses. Yes you can set this without turing on Karma. i.e. Karma is only good in certain instnances so you can set it to Free WiFi and essentially go "fishing" i.e. just wait for people to connect rather than trick/force them to connect via Karma.

3. wlan0

Try watching the Pineapple University videos...

1. wlan0 is used for the creation of a real AP also it is used for Karma aka "fake" APs. wlan1 is used for client mode or jamming/deauthing and cannot be an AP. At least not at this time...

2. In the Karma tab you are simply setting the name of the real Access Point that wlan0 uses. Yes you can set this without turing on Karma. i.e. Karma is only good in certain instnances so you can set it to Free WiFi and essentially go "fishing" i.e. just wait for people to connect rather than trick/force them to connect via Karma.

3. wlan0

Try watching the Pineapple University videos...

Thank you for your answers.

But which is the interface to I have to sniff with tcpdump? I thought was the br-lan interface, but are you saying is the wlan0 instead?

Honestly, Foxtrot is half correct. It really depends on your configuration when you are talking about tcpdump. If you want to catch all traffic on your pineapple you use br-lan. If you want to try to dump all avaiable traffic on the AP you're wlan1 is connected to (Client Mode) you could use wlan1.

These are called probe request.

Best regards,

Sebkinne

I knew that probe requests were the messages via which the Access Points can broadcast their SSIDs.

I want to know how are called the message that the clients send. I hope I am clear now.

Thanks again.

I knew that probe requests were the messages via which the Access Points can broadcast their SSIDs.

I want to know how are called the message that the clients send. I hope I am clear now.

Thanks again.

No, I understood you, but you mixed the two up.

Beacon frames are the ones the AP uses to send out it's SSID. Probe request are the ones that the client sends.

The AP beacons, the client probes.

Want to know more? Google "802.11 management frames" for more information.

Best regards,

Sebkinne

No, I understood you, but you mixed the two up.

Beacon frames are the ones the AP uses to send out it's SSID. Probe request are the ones that the client sends.

The AP beacons, the client probes.

Want to know more? Google "802.11 management frames" for more information.

Best regards,

Sebkinne

Yes, Seb. You're right.

About that, I have just tried to switch on the wifi on my iPhone in order to see which probe requests sends. I saw that it sends only probe requeste with SSID "broadcast". How is it possible?