My MKIV 3.0 experience so far...

Fira

Well, i've had a few weeks to play with my pineapple now, and whilst i like the idea of it very much, it hasn't been a smooth ride at all. So after borking my pineapple for the umpteenth time, I'm gonna go through my re-install procedure, and comment on a few of the infusions.

To be honest, I'm thinking the best ideas on this box are not as functional as they seem to have been a few years back (like Karma for example), but I don't think that is the fault of the pineapple. Vendors have tightened up on security a bit since the pinepple has come out. I definitely see this is a useful pivot box, but i find it lacking somewhat in some areas too. I'll keep playing with it, and reporting what I find. I know I have a lot to learn, and tricks to master but it's fun when it isn't infuriating! Question is, do I want to shell out for a MKV knowing that the MKIV looks good on paper mostly....

A note on the Ethernet Sockets...

Eth0 (This is the one marked "PoE LAN")

This port by default expects the gateway to be "172.16.42.42" unless you edit "etc/pineapple/spoofhost". More on that later...

This port also has a DHCP running on it, so if you connect your attacker machine to the pineapple via this port, you may want to set a static IP somewhere on 172.16.42.0/24. If you are providing internet to the pineapple FROM your attacker machine, you will want to make sure your attacker machine has the IP 172.16.42.42 (default setting of gateway).

Eth1 (This is the one marked "WAN LAN")

This port has no DHCP running on it, and is expecting to be given a DHCP from another machine / router. If you use Windows to give your pineapple internet via ICS, it will most likely have a default DHCP pool of 192.168.137.0/24 (windows 7), or 192.168.0.0/24 (windows XP) so your pineapple will accept an DHCP lease from one of those ranges. Use an IP scanner on your windows machine to figure out what IP your pineapple has. Since you can't easily edit the DHCP pool of ICS on windows, you will have to use this ethernet port for the internet connection of your pineapple. You also won't be able to connect to your pineapple with the 172.* address from this adapter.

Pineapple MK IV Fresh install on 3.0

Remove USB
Factory Reset Pineapple
Format USB in Gparted on linux
login to pineapple
change root password
change pineapple SSID
add "reboot" to the WPS button script in Configuration > Button configuration
edit USB Fstab settings in Rescources > USB
Plug in the USB drive and wait a minute for everything to settle.
SSH into the WiFi Pineapple (typically "ssh root@172.16.42.1" and sometimes you need to clear the known hosts : "rm ~/.ssh/known_hosts")
Issue "mkswap /dev/sda2"
reboot
issue "free" to check swap is enabled
create folder /usb/www/
issue command "ln -s /usb/www/* /www/" to symlink the www folder to the usb drive.
update
---------------------this is my custom network config (not mandatory)
ssh in
to change ssh ports nano /etc/config/dropbear
issue nano /etc/config/network
change gateway from 172.16.42.42 to 172.16.42.2 (for ics sharing from kali from eth0 on Kali to the PoE port on the pineapple)
run ./wp4.sh on kali to set up ICS gateway 172.16.42.2 (I have edited the script to make this my default gateway)

I do this because JasagerPwn 2.0 expects the attacker to be at this address...
------------------------------------------ this is with internet
Update The Wifi Pineapple Bar Infusion
my ICS seemed to work out of the box, but if not - install WiFI Manager infusion and Change ICS settings to Enable on boot yes, share from eth0 to wlan0
save
change dnsspoof host to 172.16.42.2 * (one caveat I noticed from trying to figure out why it didn't redirect was sometimes an extra character gets appended to the end of a spoofhost. this was only noticable from sshing in and checking out "etc/pineapple/spoofhost")
-------------------------------------------Other infusions....
Evil Portal
This was a great infusion! First time I installed it, I didn't have enough space to edit it's settings, so I had to factory reset to test it unfortunately. However, once configured, it is awesome!
Installing this and configuring it really needs to be one of the first things you install otherwise you'll find you can't edit the configuration files!
One problem I ran into was not being able to stop it from starting at boot in the gui. The button just seemed to crash the tile to main screen.
Get
I like this infusion, but for me it has a couple of issues :
Clicking "Connected Clients" causes the tile to close.
comments aren't saved (seems to be ok this time)
Sslstrip
Going to test this next cos I never had any success with it.... infact, pretty much always said "sslstrip is not running" Failing this, I can hopefully use it on kali instead...
Tile doesn't update to tell you it's installed. you have to refresh the browser it seems before it indicates it's installed... :/
Clicking start.... (seems to work)
Seems to output a log file this time... rather than "sslstrip is not running" when i click the refresh link. i wonder how long before it breaks....
Ok so i connected my nexus 7 to the pineapple, and logged into facebook with the browser. shows HTTPS all the way. Let's do it again with the next infusion :
(Edit : some things have turned up in the logs, although nothing useful so far - plus iceweasel doesn't really display any popups correcly)

TrapCookies
Installed, and just running trapcookies and sslstrip
logged into facebook, gmail and myspace...
no idea if it works.... iceweasel ain't much good to be honest...lets go find the logs...
Empty. Completely empty.
I must need to run it for longer I guess....
(edit - there are somethings in there, but not what I was looking for)
Codeinject
whenever this is switched on, all the HTTP internet stops working on the victim machine (although HTTPS seems to be fine). :/ Not sure why! wonder if it's cos I changed my gateway?

--------------------------------------------------To be continued!
Edited by Fira

• 2 weeks later...

Here are my experience with the Mark IV and Version 3.0.0

I changed the SSID with the persistent option in the GUI.
But after a reboot the SSID is back on default. Also the default SSID is still online.
So there are two active wifi networks online.
If SSLStrip or tcpdump is active with every other module/infusion the pineapple has a CPU Load ~ 8.00 and reboots directly.
Phialis:
Phialis is not working. The same error on every infusion:
[?] Select Infusion(s) to install to usb: smser
cat: can't open '/pineapple/infusions/moduleList': No such file or directory
[+] Installing smser version 1.1 to destination usb with md5 ee2d20f0d3f20268e2123fc685fda179
sh: can't open '/pineapple/modules/installer.sh'
[~] Done !
Status v1.1
Bandwidth Graph doesn't work (for me)
CPU Graph doesn't work (for me)
GUI
The GUI itself is much slower the the 2.8.1 version with all the tiles.
All in all the 3.0 is not that stable - but yeah it is the first 3.0 version. So we will see what comes in the future.
This is no critic or something to blame on the project. Just my personal experience.
Thanks @ all dev's and supporters.

• 2 weeks later...
I changed the SSID with the persistent option in the GUI.
But after a reboot the SSID is back on default. Also the default SSID is still online.
So there are two active wifi networks online.

I had that issue...

I manage my SSID in Wifi Manager more persistently!

try that :)

• 4 weeks later...

This is an awesome writeup man. You are telling it like it is. I always felt like somehow I was the fuckup because nothing ever worked right. And by most forum posts, you'd think the thintg worked like a champ all the time. But honestly? It never even did Karma right. Sure, every now and then I'd see a probe listed, but not often. I had a way better experience with some big script (PwnStar?) and a netbook using karma to autochange the network to match probing clients.

At least you still have the spirit of trying to make it work. I know how incredibly frustrating it can be to reset the damn thing over and over and reinstall. I must have reset it more times than dollars I paid for the thing. Every time I look at mine I think "oh, I'll give it another shot" but what is the point? I'm not learning anything by installing infusions. I'm not learning by running a script to try and set up ICS on a mac (dont even bother with that one). If I'm not finally solving a problem, it's just been an exercise in frustration.

And honestly? Where the hell am I going to deploy it? It's pretty much illegal to run that shit and I'm not a professional pen tester so it comes down to just being a novelty in my kit.

It was fun at first. But I want to sell mine.. Bay area, CA. I'll take BTC :P

Thanks for your reply :)

I feel your frustration. I do.

I haven't done any more testing on it recently, however I have been using it to extend the range of my home network.

(Unfortunately not in any kind of bridge or repeater mode, just using ICS from my kali laptop to make a sub network).

I haven't given up on it though. Seb has hinted that there is more to come for the MKIV, and I will wait patiently to see what that might be.

A lot of people have bashed the pineapple team, and whilst the frustration is understood by me, I think a lot of the comments that are being thrown about are a bit unfair at times. (eg : whether the pineapple is a "product" or "project" yadda yadda yadda).

I did notice that one of the things that people were complaining about was the fact that "jasager" was still in the promotional material as an advertised working feature / selling point of the MKIV when it was in a non working state for some devices (although it still works on some other older devices). As far as I can see, that reference has been removed / downplayed for the MKV. This alteration in promotional material is right and fair I think.

I kind of do want to eventually buy a MKV, however, not until it is available in europe from a european distributer. I believe that the pineapple team are looking into that. Customs charges seem to be unfair and unpredictable from the US in all accounts. Seems that the couriers like to hold end users to some random ransom.

I would love it if the pineapple team would elaborate on what is still to come for the MKIV though. ;)

Edited by Fira

• 4 months later...

That's not true. Give it a little time..

Are there any news ?

No new Version ? No Bugfix ? No Improvement ?

What does "a little time" mean ?

Greez

That's not true. Give it a little time..

Are there any news ?

No new Version ? No Bugfix ? No Improvement ?

What does "a little time" mean ?

Greez

Hmmmm, yes.

I have to be honest, it's a little disappointing that nothing has happened for the MKIV for over half a year.

I understand it's a small team, and the MKV is the new Hak5 baby, but a little bit of MKIV action would be good about now!

There are too many tech companies abandoning their products after a year or so of it being released.

It's not a good trend.

Also, another reason I didn't buy the MKV yet is because probably the MKVI will be out in X months, and I'm not a big fan of obsoleted equipment...

*looks at drawer full of old smart phones and Pineapple MKIV*.

Edited by Fira

I wish I had a good answer regarding the MK4. Right now our focus is on building in the advanced MK5 features that will enable the next generation of wifi attacks. My hope is that when we've stabilized that platform we can backport any of the features that aren't reliant on the MK5s enhanced hardware, however I sadly can't make any guarantees as to that timeline.

My intention isn't to abandon the product or plan obsolescence - it's just that in this game of cat and mouse we need to continuously innovate on both the software and hardware side. This is resource intensive and comes at considerable cost to our very small team.

The MK4 can make a formidable companion to the MK5 in fact. The MK6 isn't coming out for a very long time. I too have a drawer full of old smartphones - and while I wish I could still be rocking my OG Motorola Droid, there's just no way in hell that hardware could ever run Kit Kat.

I don't mean for you to feel like we've left you in the dust, but we're full steam ahead on the new MK5 features right now and if we slow down to focus back on the MK4 we'll miss our deadlines and upset those users as well.

I wish I had a good answer regarding the MK4. Right now our focus is on building in the advanced MK5 features that will enable the next generation of wifi attacks. My hope is that when we've stabilized that platform we can backport any of the features that aren't reliant on the MK5s enhanced hardware, however I sadly can't make any guarantees as to that timeline.

My intention isn't to abandon the product or plan obsolescence - it's just that in this game of cat and mouse we need to continuously innovate on both the software and hardware side. This is resource intensive and comes at considerable cost to our very small team.

The MK4 can make a formidable companion to the MK5 in fact. The MK6 isn't coming out for a very long time. I too have a drawer full of old smartphones - and while I wish I could still be rocking my OG Motorola Droid, there's just no way in hell that hardware could ever run Kit Kat.

I don't mean for you to feel like we've left you in the dust, but we're full steam ahead on the new MK5 features right now and if we slow down to focus back on the MK4 we'll miss our deadlines and upset those users as well.

Thanks Darren for the reply, and also for your awesome work on the tinterwebs.

I understand what you're saying and appreciate your position also.

It's my own fault for jumping on the MKIV bandwagon so late, without realising the MKV was mere weeks away haha :)

Maybe I will check out the MKV soon then if it has a while left in it's life, I had nice dreams of making a PineappleCopter which it would be perfect for :)

Did you get luck in finding competitive overseas Distributors yet?

Cheers!

• 5 weeks later...

As far as I can tell, there is no compelling reason that the MKIV and MKV couldn't share a common code base.

It would be fairly trivial to implement in the firmware and web interface - especially if a "supported" set of add-on hardware was specified for the MKIV.

Say, MKIV + powered USB hub + Flash Drive + Alfa awus036h + limitation that an expansion bus was only available on MKV

OId MKIV users would be happy, the price point of the MKV vs buying everything separately (and the nice form factor of the MKV) still makes for a strong selling point.