Wifi Pineapple Mark V on OSX

acdbrn

Probably the same way as the MK4. It will require sacrificing something larger than a chicken though. A largish goat should work, if not find a full grown sheep. If you don't want to go that route, you could create a linux vm and use that, it will be much easier, and way less headaches to set up.

Probably the same way as the MK4. It will require sacrificing something larger than a chicken though. A largish goat should work, if not find a full grown sheep. If you don't want to go that route, you could create a linux vm and use that, it will be much easier, and way less headaches to set up.

Haha I had to use a scottish highland cow to get mine working (before I bit the bullet and decided to just sacrifice battery life and run a VM).

telot

Hi guys ordered my Mark V Saturday as soon as I could, was looking at the manual on-line was wondering can I hook this up to my OSX (MAC Book pro)? and how is it done?

Thanks

a

I created a video tutorial that will show you how to configure your Pineapple for Mac OS X and setup ICS. If you have any issues, let me know.

chriswhat,

Love the production value of the video but it doesn't seem to apply to the MK5 and at 3:35 you perform the impossible for a MK4. The Internet Connection Sharing that you hit Start for at 3:11 will instantly change the IP address range to 192.168.2.X and will make what follows (at 3:35) in going to the 172.16.42.1:1471 impossible. On my machine the network connection for my nic switches over to 192.168.2.2 but you can only find that out if you connect a separate device to the Pineapple's broadcasted wifi. It will list it in the LAN section top right... So back on your Macbook you can actually type in that IP address + :1471 and reach the pineapples control page from your browser. The way you accomplish this in your video has baffled me for quite some time. Were you by chance using several VMs for that video? Or perhaps a much earlier version of OSX?

With the MK5 including two wlans the use of OSX is actually much easier... Just my opinion though.

Hi there i to am having connecting issues set it up on a mac 10.8.5 it connected at the setup from the card updated and everything once it was updated i could not get a connection used the settings as the above video had

Any advice would be helpful thanks

post-45378-0-25749400-1382115648_thumb.p

Edited by dfrank07

On your Mac setup the ethernet port as the video says with 172.16.42.42 subnet 255.255.255.0 and DNS of 8.8.8.8 and plug it into the pineapple. Navigate to 172.16.42.1:1471 and login. You can also do this by connecting to the pineapples broadcasted AP... What he's showing in the above video is how to setup Internet Connection Sharing but you don't need to do that with the MK5 as it has two wlans.

Edited by thesugarat

chriswhat,

Love the production value of the video but it doesn't seem to apply to the MK5 and at 3:35 you perform the impossible for a MK4. The Internet Connection Sharing that you hit Start for at 3:11 will instantly change the IP address range to 192.168.2.X and will make what follows (at 3:35) in going to the 172.16.42.1:1471 impossible. On my machine the network connection for my nic switches over to 192.168.2.2 but you can only find that out if you connect a separate device to the Pineapple's broadcasted wifi. It will list it in the LAN section top right... So back on your Macbook you can actually type in that IP address + :1471 and reach the pineapples control page from your browser. The way you accomplish this in your video has baffled me for quite some time. Were you by chance using several VMs for that video? Or perhaps a much earlier version of OSX?

With the MK5 including two wlans the use of OSX is actually much easier... Just my opinion though.

thesugarat,

In the video, I used a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.7.5. I was not running any virtual machines during the video. To test the Pineapple's accessibility and internet connectivity, I used a completely separate system (iMac). This is shown at 4:34.

ICS is a pretty standard process. We're simply telling the MacBook Pro to take the internet from its WiFi connection and share it with the device(s) connected to its ethernet port. From here, the Pineapple is smart enough to know that it needs to take the internet connection from its ethernet port and broadcast it to prospective clients.

During this process, my MacBook Pro has 192.168.0.4 at WiFi (assigned by router) and 172.16.42.42 at ethernet (assigned manually by me). When I connect my iMac (test machine) to the Pineapple, it has 172.16.42.203 at WiFi (assigned by Pineapple).

Also, at 3:35, I'm not accessing the Pineapple's Web UI via WiFi, I'm accessing it via the ethernet connection.

Here's a simple diagram I created that shows the concept of ICS.

Hi there i to am having connecting issues set it up on a mac 10.8.5 it connected at the setup from the card updated and everything once it was updated i could not get a connection used the settings as the above video had

Any advice would be helpful thanks

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2013-10-18 at 12.56.53 PM.png

dfrank07,

If you're just trying to connect to your Pineapple's web UI from your Mac via ethernet cable, complete the following steps:

1) Open your System Preferences

2) Select "Network"

3) In the left pane of your Network settings, select "Ethernet"

4) Make the following configurations:

• Configure IPv4: "Manually"
  • IP Address: "172.16.42.42"
  • Subnet Mask: "255.255.255.0"
  • Router: <leave this blank>

5) Select the "Advanced" button

6) Select the "DNS" tab

7) Select the "+" button

8) For the DNS Server, enter "8.8.8.8" and then select the "OK" button

10) Select the "Apply" button and close your System Preferences

Now, connect your Pineapple to your Mac via the ethernet cable and navigate to "http://172.16.42.1:1471"

You should have access to your Pineapple's web UI.

ICS probably isn't necessary because, like others have highlighted, the pineapple has 2 radios. If you want to use both radios in master mode, then ICS may be necessary. Let me know if you need more help.

chriswhat,

I'm pretty familiar with ICS on OSX but I'm using Mountain Lion (10.8.5) and it does not allow what you demonstrate. Again, at 3:35 when you go to the management page by using 172.16.42.1:1471 (I realized it was over ethernet) after you hit Start on Internet Sharing... that will not work with Mountain Lion's version of ICS. Under the hood OSX's ICS changes the IP address range to 192.168.2.X when you hit Start. It does not tell you it does this but it does. I broke out my MK4 just now to retest and it still behaves this way. So, I'm just letting you, and anyone else who might see this, that ICS in OSX is not universal.

For ICS on the MK4 I use Option 2 from the wiki:

https://github.com/WiFiPineapple/web-interface/wiki/mk34guidemacics

It's based on this topic:

https://forums.hak5.org/index.php?/topic/27808-mac-ics-works/

• 3 months later...