the creator of ReiserFS - a murder?

debianuser

yea, i wouldn't feel entirely all that nice using (charles) mansonfs. that would feel kinda creepy. i guess change it to TINAFS (This Is Not A File System) or something completely different. Otherwise it just feels kinda weird

SuSE 10.1 (and older versions) use ReiserFS by default... will it still be that way when 10.2 rolls around? ;)

i think that suse has actually changed and is no longer using reiserfs as their default, but i think that there would be technical reasons for that and not just something to do with this whole thing

http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-factory...9/msg00542.html

Reiser3 is a dead end on technical merit, and Reiser4 is a rather hot potato to play with it seems.

If Hans gets convicted for the murder of his ex-wife, it's probably curtains for Reiser4 as Hans was pretty much the only person on the planet that was pushing for getting it into the kernel.

I was pretty certain I was going to use XFS for my massive fileserver, but I read recently that XFS isn't exactly appreciated by the kernel devs either. It seems SGI made the module for IRIX, and then added a translation layer of sorts so that they can use it in Linux aswell. I'm now investigating using JFS, IBM's Journalled FileSystem. It seems to have everything I want in a filesystem these days.

• 1 month later...

Nah. That's because of the Novell-Microsoft patent deal.

What better way to show off the superiority of Windows when you hamper the competition by having it default to a mediocre filesystem?

Anyways, here's the latest news I was able to find on the trial:

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=l...&id=4803310