did something very bad bough win 8 laptop for mom

badbass

Hey I did Something bad got win8 laptop for mom how do I fix this. If possible I dont want to change the O'S yet if possible. Will the dell insprion15 win8 allow such a change if necessary. The other reason is she has some windows only ap's. What do I do? My brother in law was right when he said windows 8 sucked. I hate Mcafee I dont think there is another option ms security essentials does is not avalible. Any ideas and again you guys rock. If I can find a beaten up geeetar I will put a hak5 sticker on it.

Windows 8 has security essentials installed by default and should be enabled once you remove McAfee. I fall into a small minority it seems, but Windows 8 seems quite workable to me. Takes some getting used to, but was not the great killer of productivity for me that is seems to have been for others.

As far as downgrading, you might be able to install windows 7 (digital river hosts generic ISOs you can use perhaps) with the Windows 8 key on the laptop. I have no idea if it would actually work, but you might try it if you are dead set on going back to Windows 7.

I am pretty sure we are stuck with the UI that is Windows 8, so you might really try to get used to it sometime. I don't see Microsoft pulling it out anytime soon. Could be wrong, but I just don't see it.

I think SE is probably effective enough for most home users. They focus on in the wild viruses and have a reasonable detection rate. None (yes NONE) of the current signature-based av products are effective enough against targeted attacks. I have a few Sophos clients and a few SE clients at home, neither set of systems has been infected. So anecdotally I have no reason at this point to doubt the effectiveness of SE. Each to their own as always.

Actualy i noticed on a sony vaio laptop that after removing mcafee the MS SE still does not work. It seems that some manufactors doesnt want you to use it. And like the OP said. you cant download the version for win8.

Below is a group that does automated AV test ( daily ). It gives some information how good the AV are.

https://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php/AV/Viruses

( ps. they run the AV on the recommended settings by the AV firm. Witch you cant realy do on your own pc to much false positives that way )

Edited by GuardMoony

Actualy i noticed on a sony vaio laptop that after removing mcafee the MS SE still does not work. It seems that some manufactors doesnt want you to use it. And like the OP said. you cant download the version for win8.

Below is a group that does automated AV test ( daily ). It gives some information how good the AV are.

https://www.shadowserver.org/wiki/pmwiki.php/AV/Viruses

( ps. they run the AV on the recommended settings by the AV firm. Witch you cant realy do on your own pc to much false positives that way )

There's probably still parts of McAfee still floating around the computer. It can be a pain in the ass to fully remove.