best payed VPN for torrents

durkadurkastan

unfortunately i am too broke to pay for most of my content, i do try to but a lot of the time i end up pirating if it isnt on netflix or my friends dont have it. unfortunately the RIAA and the government want to ruin the internet and privacy is almost all but lost so i have a few reasons to want a payed VPN.

which VPNs are very torrent friendly, have no logs and take user privacy seriously while offering the best speed possible.

on a another note me and my brother would like to share the cost but we live in two different houses, would we be able to share the VPN or would we have to buy separately? i do a lot of computer repair freelance but unfortunately for anything internet related i feel pretty dumb.

Most VPN services for the most part have policy's against things like Piracy and attacking other networks, so don't think just because you use a VPN you are free and clear to do whatever you want. That said, SSH tunnels and Socks 5 work find with most torrent programs as well though. Just depends what part fo the world you live in and what VPN services are near you. You wouldn't buy a VPN service in Australia for instance, of you lived in Canada for example. You would want to find VPN services in Canada or the US if that were the case, and vice versa.

lol weezl.

While most VPN services may have policies against such actions, a fair amount have made it their selling point as of late. A friend back East and I are going around testing different VPN services at the moment and so far the best for torrenting are AirVPN (probably the best for all around anonymity) and Hidemyass (Not great anonymity as you may have heard, but decent enough for torrents).

On AirVPN I get the full 50-55 mbps downstream while routing to their Vega (Oregon) server. That said don't try to game off of it, the latencies aren't super high but they're as unpredictable as other VPNs. Seeing as everyone runs a single IP from a server and they don't log, it's virtually impossible for anyone but the server to know who you are. On top of that if you're doing something insane they do allow you to route through TOR to their server so they don't know where you're coming from and your exit is secured.

If you and your brother want to share them you have two real easy options with AirVPN, not sure about HMA, they are:

1. Only have 1 user use it at a time.

2. Contact them about a bundled license, I think you get a discount.

Remember if you're trying to stay the most anonymous to pay through bitcoins which they do accept, I personally went to 7/11, got a prepaid card with $50 loaded on it, spent $20 on 3 months of airVPN (hopefully enough til this blows over) and the rest on various things such as replacement parts for my R.A.T. 7 or cabling equipment.

Also, if you are the weezl that I know, Six Strikes got pushed back so you do have time to look around before the crackdown. Also I'm starting a darknet with a few friends across the U.S. if you want in (if you are weezl, assuming you are with the brother in another house part and vanwazltoff) with a few people, I mean ehm what darknet. No darknet here. :rolleyes:

Edited by Radau

I use APOVPN, its affordable and has 3 US locations, but it won't let you game over it. I haven't even attempted to torrent over it though. Its fast, cant watch netflix, youtube, etc over it, but I mainly use it for security. They also sell routers with the VPN setup for you, so instead of only 1 user at a time, your whole house can be on the VPN via the router itself, which is a really nice option. Routers are an extra cost though, but you buy it, not rent it, and once you own it, you only pay the normal monthly fee. At home I only need it for myself, so I didn't go the router option but if you need more than one device at a time on the VPN, their preconfigured routers would be the way to go. They also offer a speed boost router service as well. Not exactly sure how that works, but they use routers from Sabai and the VPN accelerator is a separate device in addition to the router, and not cheap, but the service itself essentially is. 7/month is nothing these days for secure and fast VPN services.

I use APOVPN, its affordable and has 3 US locations, but it won't let you game over it. I haven't even attempted to torrent over it though. Its fast, cant watch netflix, youtube, etc over it, but I mainly use it for security. They also sell routers with the VPN setup for you, so instead of only 1 user at a time, your whole house can be on the VPN via the router itself, which is a really nice option. Routers are an extra cost though, but you buy it, not rent it, and once you own it, you only pay the normal monthly fee. At home I only need it for myself, so I didn't go the router option but if you need more than one device at a time on the VPN, their preconfigured routers would be the way to go. They also offer a speed boost router service as well. Not exactly sure how that works, but they use routers from Sabai and the VPN accelerator is a separate device in addition to the router, and not cheap, but the service itself essentially is. 7/month is nothing these days for secure and fast VPN services.

If the user that posted this is the one that I know then the no gaming part will be a dealbreaker on that. The router idea seems nice but they are in different houses and I don't think he'd want his bandwidth taken up by his brother all the time. I don't know how far you live from your brother but giving him files he wants on a USB drive would also be a feasible option, what I'm going to post next may work for getting the files to him a little bit easier too (and those who want it).

The offer still stands for the darknet if you're interested. Our plan is sort of to have those who can afford a VPN to get the content wanted by others and share it that way. I really hope I didn't just break TOS lol.

Between their two networks though, they could use an OpenVPN Virtual Machine, and VPN to each others homes directly and no one would be able to see the traffic between them. Thats not even an issue. Same thing with the SSH tunnel that I mentioned, they could SCP files to one another and no one would be able to see the traffic, or see it, but not be able to read it since its encrypted. As for Darknets, sure, they are out there, but like TOR, you are at the mercy of your exit nodes and the trust of the people who own the darknets. Straight up file servers, like buying a website, and uploading encrypted, passworded zips, also works without any issue and you don't need a VPN since the file itself is the encrypted payload, all you need is the password for the archive to unzip it. Direct connection point to point though is much faster for sharing between two people and can be done without the need to purchase VPN services, but if in general internet browsing and masking your home IP, VPN's work great and help provide at least one layer of anonymity to an extent.

Thing is it would still take bandwidth up and could cause problems if the user wants very low latency when gaming and only downloads at specified times.

As for the darknet if it's the guy I know I literally live down the street from his brother so constructing something through the freenet service in darknet mode would be very feasible. Weezl if you want I'll loan you my license at the LAN party. (Hoping it is the Weezl I know still lol)

In other talk what ever happened to the supposed Hak 5 darknet Darren was possibly starting? Was it just a prank or is it on halt? I haven't heard of it for at least a year, know anything?

yes it is me cammy. dont really need to have all of my traffic go through a VPN, can it simply be turned off when i want to game or for netflix? I have a spare computer that i can set up at my brothers as a dedicated torrent machine that can be accessed through any computer, i could remotely access it and DL things on it and drive over to get a collection of files weekly. with this i can use a free VPN services for typical internet browsing and have a payed VPN for the DL server so i wouldnt have to buy 2 subscriptions

the darknet sounds like a idea. whats your proposed idea for others to send us what they want to DL? sending a link over FB doesnt sound like a good idea.

digip, i live CA. can you send me a link for socks 5 and SSH tunnels for dummies, i tried to figure it out with little success

Well, if you have a website that allows shell access you basically use Putty to SSH into the server, and configure putty as the proxy server. Theres a tutorial somewhere on the forums, thats like 5 years old. i don't have the link handy, but basically in your putty config, go down to connection > ssh> tunnels. Set the IP (destination) to 127.0.0.1 and the port to 7070, Dynamic (once added shows as D7070).

Then log into your sites server over SSH, and in your web browser Proxy settings, or Torrent program (if they support Socks 5 proxy) you setup the preferences for the proxy and point it to 127.0.0.1 and port 7070(not http traffic, but the socks setting - Some older browsers don't support socks, but all the latest ones should), and all traffic for the program will go through the tunnel. Pretty straight forward.

You can test if its working by going to ipchicken.com before and after you enable the proxy in your browser, and see your IP change.

Remember to do a torrent ip leak test too, there's a website dedicated to it. Most VPNs do have openVPN support so a dedicated box would work without interfering with gaming and the like though you may want to cap the dl speed on it if you do.

Darknet application we're going to use let's you build a closed network of friends only that is very difficult to detect due to the strict policies on who you allow it to connect to.

A proxy like digip suggested would be good if you buy a vps or something in bitcoin because if it's us based they're probably going to catch on. It would also allow you to anonymously download while gaming (depending on how quickly you top off your connection). You can also try proxychains under linux for added security but finding good free proxies is a major pain

Stevie if it's US based that won't matter too much as with out logging and with a shared ip they couldn't help the recording industry if they wanted to. Worst case one server goes down because the isp cuts it off but that's usually a short downtime.

Here's a few episodes you may want to watch for Proxies and SSH (3 episodes).

Episode 1108: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL45C12B2F6283756A

Episode 1109: http://hak5.org/episodes/hak5-1109

It could give you some ideas on what you can do, there are most likely hundreds of methods to accomplish what you want, you just need to find what works best for you.

Edited by Radau

• 1 year later...
On 12/3/2012 at 5:25 PM, vanwazltoff said:

unfortunately i am too broke to pay for most of my content, i do try to but a lot of the time i end up pirating if it isnt on netflix or my friends dont have it. unfortunately the RIAA and the government want to ruin the internet and privacy is almost all but lost so i have a few reasons to want a payed VPN.

which VPNs are very torrent friendly, have no logs and take user privacy seriously while offering the best speed possible.

on a another note me and my brother would like to share the cost but we live in two different houses, would we be able to share the VPN or would we have to buy separately? i do a lot of computer repair freelance but unfortunately for anything internet related i feel pretty dumb.

I would suggest you Torguard VPN it is best for Torrent offering best speed. You can keep your personal identity anonymous with Anonymous Bittorrent Proxy. You can get more details about multiple logins to share VPN from the support team here.. http://www.bestvpnservice.com/providers/246/tor-guard.html

https://streamza.com/

Not really a VPN, rather a nice interface to a torrent client :)

It downloads torrents in their cloud and lets you download original files from torrent, stream those.

They have limited "slots" for downloading torrents - get one extra via my link: https://streamza.com/i/T5gYij8

Hopefully this is not against policies here.... :)

• 3 weeks later...