Obama Admin Supports Warrantless Cell Tracking

Pwnd2Pwnr

Big brother? Hello? Can you hear me? Of course you can. You can hear me even with my phone off, can't ya? Well, the US Government has stated that they can log your location and hold your information for... well... that is yet to be decided. The UK has similar stances on the subject of WATCHDOG policies, but what are they hoping to achieve?

Pros: Kidnap victims (given the attacker is dumb enough not to get rid of there cell phone)

Runaways

...Terrorism; I suppose

Cons: Violation of privacy rights

Agents can monitor your conversation if they "feel" like it

...plethora of other negative scenarios.

Well, since they "invented" the internet, the DoD and justice dept. can make any policy they feel is, "For the protection of the nations' citizens." .... I am bothered, how about you guys?

here is the link to learn more...

Justice Dept. to defend warrantless cell phone tracking | Politics and Law - CNET News

Wonder if/when people will decide to just stay out of it. Things worked fine without their involvement and I highly doubt anyone would want to see this become reality. Even if they do push this "idea", as history has shown someone will find a way to circumvent it eventually, so they're really just wasting our money... again.

WAIT A MINUTE! THE GOVERNMENT WASTING MONEY? Oh yeah... no surprise :P

But, they are the nation/state and have the computer power to DoS everyone in the states, and probably beyond. That said, they are going to watch anyway, whether or not they make it public policy is an entirely different batch of cider.

Agreed, bobbyb. Drugs and gang violence were/are still the major thing from the city I grew up in.

After a bit of thought, I see where this could make a huge difference in violent/drug crimes (certain "drug" crimes are a different story). A defense attorney could declare mistrial due to the lack of a warrant. I understand that. Here a couple questions though:

How much manpower would something like that need? How can one system determine a patients' call to a doctors office asking for scheduled narcotics from the addicts? How does one differentiate an addict from a patient?

I feel if one person owns a gun without a permit has the same chances of killing somebody as a person with a CCW. It all varies from individual to individual.

If this were used in the high crime, urban areas, the ACLU would shit there overalls. What this boils down to is civil rights.... and we don't even have a government that can agree on, well, anything really.

What do you think the ACLU will do? You know they have already contacted the NAACP... (like a circle, round round)

Instead of complaining on the internet, you should get a job in law enforcement to see to it that rights aren't abused if that's how you feel. We don't live in a perfect world, but we'd live in a much better world if everyone approached problems like this.

And PS dude, this is a forum about hacking and related topics. Given the motives of many posters on forums today, I think your sudden entry here is questionable at a minimum, but that aside, keep your posts about hacking and security. This isn't a place to express your political opinions.

Tha

Instead of complaining on the internet, you should get a job in law enforcement to see to it that rights aren't abused if that's how you feel. We don't live in a perfect world, but we'd live in a much better world if everyone approached problems like this.

And PS dude, this is a forum about hacking and related topics. Given the motives of many posters on forums today, I think your sudden entry here is questionable at a minimum, but that aside, keep your posts about hacking and security. This isn't a place to express your political opinions.

I didn't mean to piss you off, bobby. I enjoy a little fraternization with my peers. Although, I don't see how I was "complaining"; I was merely bringing up a current event and wanted opinions on the technological needs to do those searches and where it may or may not help.

You're wrong, this is a forum about anything tech related and he has just a right as anyone else to express his feelings on a matter. There are specific sub-forums for hacking and security and this is not one of them (note: Everything Else).

Wow, anti American? Where the hell was that ever implied. I am an American. It's called a constitutional right. Whether you are liberal or conservative. It does not matter. I exercise my freedom of speech. I do not understand why you are such an angry person. If the military gave me the right to enlist, I would have. No second thoughts.

I love America. But, in my opinion (noticed how I added that), a lot of civil liberties are violated through new policies FORCED without the citizens voting on it.

I respect anybodies opinion; whether or not you respect mine is your right. People like you are the ones who deter others from learning, or hell, even accessing the forums. Your high horse doesn't seem too tall when you insist an IQ test for a learning forum.

"Everything Else" doesn't include your anti American sentiment (for which many past threads have been closed).

On a related note, instead of having a captcha before registration, can we replace that with an IQ test?

This community really doesn't need your attitude. You're giving us all a bad name by attacking those who should be your friends. I suggest you drop this before it escalates further and ends up in someone getting banned.

Edited by Radau

Learn more and post less.

P.S - drugs are bad.

Drugs, just as well as cigarates are bad.

Learn more and post less.

P.S - drugs are bad.

Fancy. You are better than everyone, huh? You should learn how to interpret sentences and opinions properly. I am not a rich man by any means. I apologize for making dumb decisions as a teen and caught a felony. I get no second chance. I study around 6 - 8 hours a day. I repair LCD TVs and PCs on the side; even though I can build a server from the ground up. I feel you are trolling the forums. I am flattered to know that you think I am a drug addict. :)

Darren believes highly in privacy laws, and that IS a topic related to HIS forum.

Lets keep the arguing to a private message or better yet, not at all. I don't care if people want to discuss current events or debate the facts, but keep in mind they are "hot" topics and everyone has strong opinions. If people cannot be respectful to one another, I will take action.

Regards,

Mr-Protocol.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

- Benjamin Franklin

Far from being "anti-American", pwn2pwner's concerns are entirely valid, and I would further suggest that in this case they are the same concerns that any PRO-American *should* have when they hear their President and his hand-picked administration are contemplating violating MORE God-given rights of American citizens under the guise of "safety from turriss".

The Nanny State has GOT to stop.

If law enforcement can't do their job without infringing upon the 4th amendment and squashing the 1st amendment, then perhaps it's time for some in law enforcement to get out of the business altogether.

Too bad about the pissing match...this thread has some potential.

Let's keep it civil.

If law enforcement can't do their job without infringing upon the 4th amendment and squashing the 1st amendment, then perhaps it's time for some in law enforcement to get out of the business altogether.

Agreed. Unfortunately, things like the internet are still new. While we may have some I.T. know how, law enforcement, and our leaders do not. Congress didn't know how DNS or DNSSEC worked, and yet they wanted to pass SOPA, which adversely screws with those systems that effects the world.

Personally, I think every criminal case involving computers, cell phones, or whatever, should follow the same procedures for solving crimes in the physical world. If a cop wants my PC, encryption keys, or whatever, they should need a warrant. Also, if the police do anything to your equipment, you should be allowed to get a record of what work has been done.

Too bad about the pissing match...this thread has some potential.

Let's keep it civil.

Also, agreed. This is a rather big issue, and it's a shame that hasn't really caught on.