Usb Power On Mk Iii

Kristof

Pineapple Hardware Version: Mk3 on a AP51

Pineapple Software Version: 2.1.2

OS used to connect to the pineapple: OSX and Win7

Network layout of how your setup is connected: Ethernet to Pineapple, using both with DCHP on and setting IP static to 172.16.42.42

All the tools/options that are running on the pineapple when the issue happened: USB 5.5Barrel Plug

Ping results from computer to pineapple: None, 100% Packet Loss

Is the problem repeatable (Yes/No): Yes

Steps taken which created the problem: Tried using a USB Adapter to Power the Pineapple

Wondering if there is a possibility to run the Pineapple Mk3 from a USB 5.5OD 2.2ID barrel. I get a PWR signal from the ap51, and when a ethernet is connected the LAN/WAN light comes on. However, I can't connect to the device over ethernet or wireless (autostartup is enabled). Happening both from OSX and from Win7

Any suggestions?

Kristof: From what I've gathered from reading peoples posts, irc, and my own experience, it's kind of hit or miss. My Mk3 usually functions fine on a USB battery, but sometimes I guess it can't draw enough power. I've also had different success rates with different cables. One that I made myself usually works fine, while a factory made cable doesn't always work...

Kristof: From what I've gathered from reading peoples posts, irc, and my own experience, it's kind of hit or miss. My Mk3 usually functions fine on a USB battery, but sometimes I guess it can't draw enough power. I've also had different success rates with different cables. One that I made myself usually works fine, while a factory made cable doesn't always work...

I've been running my mark3 on usb power for months - no problems. I even run the power over ethernet (those tiny ethernet wires from the windy-uppy cable that comes with the pineapple). First off no DHCP is necessary - just the 172.16.42.42 for your ethernet adapter. In OSX, connect to your local wifi first, do some ICS (system preferences->sharing) and then configure your ethernet adapter (system preferences->network) to have a static IP of 172.16.42.42 with mask of 255.255.255.0 - that works for me everytime on my mac whilst powering it off USB. Have you done all those steps and still no pings?

telot

iamk3: would you be able to either send me pics of how you made your cable or link me to a place where I could? Maybe this cable is bad.

telot: Thank you for the sharing advice, as I had been booting my Win7 to share the connections, I never thought to look...

I followed the steps you outlined but still no pings, with this as the result.

PING 172.16.42.1 (172.16.42.1): 56 data bytes

ping: sendto: Host is down

ping: sendto: Host is down

and a 100% packet loss.

Maybe Im overlooking something, but im wondering why OP feels this is a power issue?

What happens when you power it from the ac adapter? Same results?

I too have run my MK3 for a long time on USB power. Telot has a good DIY for a few different power setups, and Ive posted the link in a.few threads to buy one on Amazon that works great.

Aside from using ac, also, have you tried turning everything off, and firing up the services on.the MK3 one at a time, checking.results along the way?

Also, have you tried reflashing the device?

Hi hfam, I feel it's a power issue because the AP51 boots fine from AC power and all seems well. I'm going to try and re-flash it again tonight to see if it's a fluke

Understood.

When on AC power, does it run all the options for a good llength of time?

When on USB power, can you get to the device at all, or just after you start snapping on options?

Can you get it to run on USB with just Karma?

Have you tried powering it on a different machine's USB? Maybe there's an issue with the power on that USB port.

With AC power everything runs fine

On USB power, the best I can get is a ping stating the host is down (so I guess nothing at all)

Also, I cant get it to run with just Karma.

I've tried both my macbook, running both Win7 and OSX, and my girlfriend's HP running Win7, with both not working.

I'm seriously thinking it may be the cord..

With AC power everything runs fine

On USB power, the best I can get is a ping stating the host is down (so I guess nothing at all)

Also, I cant get it to run with just Karma.

I've tried both my macbook, running both Win7 and OSX, and my girlfriend's HP running Win7, with both not working.

I'm seriously thinking it may be the cord..

Multimeter that shiz and find out for sure - because usb powering the pineapple is awesome.

telot

My 13 inch macbook pro's usb are not enough current to run the pineapple. I had to make a 2 usb plug for it to run.

So at this point I would see if I could find a wall to usb plug thats higher than 1 mah output and use that to test your cable and if the cable works. I would then try a 2 usb plugs cable with computer.

Edited by leapole