Speed Test

Phoenix

WOW that is so neat. i love the different server locations.

i get 9 meg from London, 3.5 east cost U.S, 3 west coast and a whopping 514k from New Zealand.

Funny i would have thought it would be greater the half a meg lost across the U.S i guess there's a good optical network.

yeah, this is neato.

intresting fact: even though i am located closer to atl, a-town only clocks in at 1050 kbps, while DC is the fastest, with 1362 kbps. Seatle is 1071 Germany isn't far behind, with 995, and new zealand is 333kbps.

hmm. Atlanta is rather disappointing. Any explanations?

Tried it and something isn't quite right with it. First of all it under-estimates the speed it gets on download when your speed is too fast to get a stable reading. Second, the upload speed is suspicious too since I consistantly got one tenth of my download speed. The problem with that is that I have 10mbit full duplex and the speed has been confirmed on several occasions.

Tried it and something isn't quite right with it. First of all it under-estimates the speed it gets on download when your speed is too fast to get a stable reading. Second, the upload speed is suspicious too since I consistantly got one tenth of my download speed. The problem with that is that I have 10mbit full duplex and the speed has been confirmed on several occasions.

jool: I hate to say it, but you are looking at the wrong thing then....

The speed you are referencing is most likely the speed that your local area network (lan) is. THis test and other bandwidth tests check the speed of your connection to the Internet in General. THis means if you have DSL then it tests the speed of the DSL whioch is usually 1.5mbit up and 768kbps down.

The only other way you could have that high bandwidth if its not your local LAN, is if you have something like fiber or a really decent cable modem.

jool: I hate to say it, but you are looking at the wrong thing then....

The speed you are referencing is most likely the speed that your local area network (lan) is. THis test and other bandwidth tests check the speed of your connection to the Internet in General. THis means if you have DSL then it tests the speed of the DSL whioch is usually 1.5mbit up and 768kbps down.

The only other way you could have that high bandwidth if its not your local LAN, is if you have something like fiber or a really decent cable modem.

Sorry to break this to you, I live in Sweden. That means I have access to high speed connections for cheap. An ethernet jack directly in the wall with 10mbit and up actual speed isn't that uncommon. And as a bonus I'm directly connected through the network at my univeristy. It's like a convoy of trucks with teflon coated tubes on them. When I send internets they arrive instantly.

Edit: Just felt that I needed to show you my regular speed test.

down.png

If I had the patience to I would show it seeding at 10mbit too, but I don't so I wont.

Jool: I think that screen shot just further proves what I was saying, but FFS I'll shut up becuase regardless of what I think you very well could have higher speeds than that. my last statement on this is try another speedtester, such as http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?more=1 ... if your not happy with the one started in this discussion.

All I ask is that you post the results here to prove to me and others that you are seeing the descreptencies.

k, thnx.

Jool: I think that screen shot just further proves what I was saying, but FFS I'll shut up becuase regardless of what I think you very well could have higher speeds than that. my last statement on this is try another speedtester, such as http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest?more=1 ... if your not happy with the one started in this discussion.

All I ask is that you post the results here to prove to me and others that you are seeing the descreptencies.

k, thnx.

Actually those speedtests have the same flaw as the one originally posted, they push way to little data to get an accurate reading when you have higher bandwidths. And with the small blocks of data the delay of going over the pond severely impacts the results.

And what you were seeing in the screenshot is the effect of full duplex. That means that I have total throughput of 10mbits, if I download at 10mbit I upload nothing and vice versa.

And just to demonstrate here is a screenshot from a proper bandwidth measuring tool. Its called tptest (Swedish website). It was developed by a couple of government agencies in Sweden back when ISPs were charging people for speeds they weren't getting.

speed.png

I don't get it, you mean you have a 10 meg connection that isn't coming up as 10 meg, well join the club. ok, so i'll admit the speed test was well off with my upload speed (should be 4meg). so maybe it isn't sending enough packets, but i would consider the down speed pretty accurate. especially when you consider the network usage and other factors that affect you connection (by network usage i mean your ISP).

As for full duplex, i was under the impression that meant you can send and receive at the same time, which my modem could do, please explain what you mean?

I don't get it, you mean you have a 10 meg connection that isn't coming up as 10 meg, well join the club. ok, so i'll admit the speed test was well off with my upload speed (should be 4meg). so maybe it isn't sending enough packets, but i would consider the down speed pretty accurate. especially when you consider the network usage and other factors that affect you connection (by network usage i mean your ISP).

As for full duplex, i was under the impression that meant you can send and receive at the same time, which my modem could do, please explain what you mean?

Ok I was mixing up terms a bit, I can't really remember the one I'm thinking of right now "non fixed upload/download ratio", it's still full duplex though. And yes I have a 10mbit connection that other bandwidth measurments confirm that isn't show in this one, even though it looks pretty. I'm guessing it's a combination of it not using enough data to get an accurate value and possibly not having enough bandwidth.

Ok I was mixing up terms a bit, I can't really remember the one I'm thinking of right now "non fixed upload/download ratio", it's still full duplex though. And yes I have a 10mbit connection that other bandwidth measurments confirm that isn't show in this one, even though it looks pretty. I'm guessing it's a combination of it not using enough data to get an accurate value and possibly not having enough bandwidth.

Perhaps I came off wrong, I don't know. But what I do know is because of your terminology being wrong I assumed you had no clue waht you were talking about. Full duplex is usually a term menat for LAN connections. I should not have assumed, but you gotta admit (which you already did) that the wrong terminology was used. I think you actually mean syncronous connection as in dedicated/almost garanteed in both directions.

Again, I'll eat a bite of that crow, as long as you're willing to admit that you need to take a bite too. :)

-Manuel

Full-duplex means it can send and receive at the same time, yeah.

non fixed upload/download ratio

Err... I was gonna say something but after re-reading the post I'm not sure it's quite where you were heading... but did you mean 'asynchronous'?

Also it's not unusual to not be able to achieve the full speed your ISP claims they're providing, many users don't get the speed advertised... sometimes not even close.