bitch about spam here

Guest 1drabosral

Yeah I nuked a couple spam threads the other day which was odd considering you guys normally beat me to it. GJ boys.

So lets take it to the next level. We've got the latest version of phpbb, we've got mod privs, you guys think some FTP hookup and maybe a few antispam extensions/plugins/widgets would be helpful?

D

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I nuked a couple spam threads the other day which was odd considering you guys normally beat me to it. GJ boys.

So lets take it to the next level. We've got the latest version of phpbb, we've got mod privs, you guys think some FTP hookup and maybe a few antispam extensions/plugins/widgets would be helpful?

D

What would be useful is adding a captcha to the first few days of membership, so new members have to confim there human before they can post. Maybe extend it to the first 10 posts as well. I'll have a look for some. Can anyone make a kitten test for the forums?

Not sure what you mean by an FTP hookup.

Ok, I hope nobody noticed but the forums went down for about 5 minutes just now. Sorry, that was me. My bad. Lemme explain.

I was trying to create a user on our server for VaKo so that he could FTP into /forums/. So I created the user and remapped the /hak5.org/forums/ dir to /home/vako/forums/ and well... permissions... groups... cgi... um, it all got a little sticky and broke. sorry about that. Checked with the dreamhost wiki and it seems that dir-remaps break cgi so... no FTP hookup dude. Sorry.

But yes, Kitten Auth FTW. Lets get it on!

Yeah, its kinda like preventing a break in at your house. My dads place got robbed a couple of times as he works in europe a lot. The solution? He put locks on every internal door and bars over all the windows on the back and sides. Yes they can still get in, but it takes them a lot of effort and once there in, they have to break down every internal door. Net result: the next guy that broke in only managed to get into the kitchen, and ended up leaving with nothing more than some ramen noodles and a bottle of wine.

So all we can do is make it not worth the spammers effort to spam here. Yes they can still do it all by hand, but there is a point where we lock it down beyond usability. ie moderation of every post before its public. Then people start going "meh... can't be fucked with this shit <close page>" and the community starts dieing. So we need to find a balance, and this looks like a good one.