bitch about spam here

Guest 1drabosral

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it time to apoint a new 'on the ball' modorator yet? I wonder who has the hiest post count of any body :P

Do you ever do anything but sit on forums waiting for spam to post sarcy comments to? You know, like work, or seeing your girlfriend or the multitude of things away from computers?

If you want to do something useful, could you go threw the memeber lists, and look for everyone with a 0-1 posts and a spam link on there profile...

I eat... and stuff... but, I always know when I see "1 Hidden" on the online list it's VaKo, you are one of very few who chooses to hide your online status, but since you are the only regulare who dose, it defeats the whole point of it. :P

If you want to do something useful, could you go threw the memeber lists, and look for everyone with a 0-1 posts and a spam link on there profile...

I'm serious about this btw, if someone wants to do it, it would be useful. The only ones who will go are the people with spam links in there profiles and no posts. With nearly 2000 members i can't be arsed to do it by hand.

Dosn't phpBB have a user pruning feature? In any case, I think it's better to ban the spam poster, this means it's harder for them to register again. Iknow tehy ca use a diffrent name and email address, but, how many people have more then 5 emails addresses (asuming they are not spam bots)?

Dosn't phpBB have a user pruning feature? In any case, I think it's better to ban the spam poster, this means it's harder for them to register again. Iknow tehy ca use a diffrent name and email address, but, how many people have more then 5 emails addresses (asuming they are not spam bots)?

That's the point... Spambots have as many email addresses as they feel like generating... and that's a hell of a lot of email addresses.

Yes, but I mean if I can get the script to generate a html file with links to all the profiles that do have links in them, i can manualy look faster. Of course I need to work out how to look at there signiture in the first place with out reading there post in the first place, hopfully this is do able with out having to access the database.

me :P i have 3x almost unlimited mailadresses (for the 3 domains i own , 1 wich i still havent used and is still good for aprox 3 months , anyone got something usefull to put on www.rm-fun.be ?

you should have like an area where you have to make like 2 or 3 posts before you get permission to view they entire forum that should kill the threat

Not a chance in hell that would work. Bots would just post there spam in that forum. A potentially viable solution would be putting up a captcha up for your first ten posts, like digg.

The only way we could have a 100% spam free forum would be if every post was moderated before it was allowed to be viewed. Anything we can make, the spammers can hack past. In short, if you don't like spam, ignore it for the 2-3 hours its there.

yeah but if they post in there people are not going to be looking in there that area will just be for new members an all they do is like introduce themselfs or something that way it gets the spammers out of the proper forum topics or maybe not just a suggestion but im sure theres only so much you can do with phpbb.

The spam is still there though, and from a mods point of view, its still the same amount of work.

As it stands, we have about 2-3 posts a day that are spam (that i see), and currently the forum has 2 moderators, and 2 admins. Most spam is removed within hours of posting, mostly minutes, sometimes seconds. If its me doing it, I delete the account as well.

TBH i just delete the accounts i find that spam.

I looked at that when I first started, and I don't think I have that particular ability, so I just nuke the threads they start.

And by the way, yesterday was rather extreme in terms of spammage. I dropped off 3 threads, and Darren beat me to one aswell. No clue if VaKo took out a few aswell. Normally I see at most 1 per day.