• windows server 2003
    • windows server 2008
    • windows xp
    • windows vista
    • windows 7
    • windows 2000
    • ubuntu
    • other

i have recently installed windows server 2008 but i don't know what programs i should install on it i have openfire and i run minecraft server's on it i am working on a email server, but what else should i use should i add i am just looking for ideas what would you add to a server what programs

Edited by PC-2011

So you want us to tell you why you should be running a Windows Server 2008 server in the first place?

Tell us why you want to run a Server 2008 box and we'll tell you how.

Why would you spend $800+ when you don't know what to do with it?

There's a lot you can do with a server. For instance, you can turn it into a webserver (Apache), host your own website. I think you should assess your needs, and ask yourself do I really need a server? What can I use it for?

well it was more just to see diffrent programs to use like some one i asked said to put hmail on it but what i am looking for is what programs i want to know what programs you use i dont care what there for i dont evan know what things you can use on a server i have been trying to learn about computers for years and have had to teach myself so i dont know anything about a server so any programs what any help is vary useful and what is the best way to map a network drive available to every computer on my domain network evan the ones over the internet thanks for all the help

What is the best way to map a network drive available to every computer on my domain network evan the ones over the internet thanks for all the help

That can be achieved via group policy and batch scripting. I would recommend you to read up on domain group policy, there's a lot to learn and know about it. You also need to know on how to promote your server to a DC (domain controller), plenty of info on Google on how to do that.

But basically with a domain controller, you can do anything from controlling user accesses, to limiting system resource to completely locking down a workstation on a network, that's all done via GPO (group police object). So there is a lot to know and learn about Windows Servers. WS isn't Windows XP or 7 there are tons of features, functionality built into it that managing or even building one for the first time can be a nightmare if you don't have right knowledge or experience.

So I would strongly recommend you to research, read and buy books if you can, It will pay off. Let me know if you need help with anything.

Edited by Infiltrator

You really need to go and learn about what a Windows Domain is.

If you want to learn the basics then go and Google it otherwise its time to invest in some Microsoft textbooks. I recommend picking up a copy of Windows Small Business Server (SBS) as its a lot more wizard based and comes more configured out of the box.