Starting In Linux

xzantim

I'm a native Windows user and want to start using linux, but have no idea how to start using or learning to use it. Is there a place with 'Linux for n00bs' guides?

After Hak5, linuxquestions.org is an excellent site. The linux link tech show is also has a good linux oriented podcast. (linuxlink.net). Actually most applications in some ways are identical. You still have the file, view, edit menus and etc. You still cut paste and etc almost the same way. Usually you do not have to go under the hood, but if you do not then your missing a whole lot. I recommend starting with a live cd (something you can not do with mswindows) to see how you like it. www.distrowatch.com has a lot of linux distros you can start with. I recommend Mint or Mepis Antix for older machines such as p2 or better. Linux is not just for hacking. all kinds of goodies at www.instructables.com/member/computothought (and others).

I'm a native Windows user and want to start using linux, but have no idea how to start using or learning to use it. Is there a place with 'Linux for n00bs' guides?

Learn how you learned windows. Install it, try to figure it out, google for things you want to do. Suggest doing it in a virtual machine so if you screw up you can just reinstall or revert to a screenshot.

Use something like gentoo or arch linux where you have to build the system from the ground up. If you do that, you'll have a decent starting point for using linux.

Eeesh. That'll just become overwhelming to a newb in my opinion. Install something straight forward and simple like the popular Ubuntu or Debian. Get that up & running & dick around for a bit. Once that's accomplished, you can go to a more thorough process of installing/setting up gent/arch

my .02

Out of curiosity: Why do you want to switch to / learn how to use Linux? And: Do you speak german?

If you do speak german I recommend you read this first:

http://daemonkeeper.net/43/linux-ist-nichts-fuer-dich-lass-es/

If you do not speak german I recommend this:

http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm

(but, honestly, it's not half as sarcastic as the first post. Maybe I'll translate it sometime)

It says as much as "Linux wasn't meant for you - stay off of it". I don't want to discourage you, I just think it would spare you some time and frustration if you think about your reasons for switching. You won't enjoy Linux if you just want a "Windows just without the bad parts".

If your motives are "pure" (yes, this is not a 100% sincere) continue with, let's say, Ubuntu, the Ubuntuusers community (www.ubuntu.com/Community) and rock the world :)

I hope you will get to love Linux as much as I do :)

Best wishes

D

Learn how you learned windows. Install it, try to figure it out, google for things you want to do. Suggest doing it in a virtual machine so if you screw up you can just reinstall or revert to a screenshot.

Yes, google is your friend. Linux is very well documented and you should be able to learn most things quickly by just googleing your problem or what you want to do. Linux is great and you should be able to learn by doing. A live cd is a great option because you can't mess anything up. --help will tell you the syntax on most commands.

Thanks for the ideas and advice, got myself an Ubuntu live cd and am finding it really easy to get the hang of :)

I would definitely recommend Ubuntu as your second OS. It may be frustrating at first but trust me, it will be a rewarding experience.

Eeesh. That'll just become overwhelming to a newb in my opinion. Install something straight forward and simple like the popular Ubuntu or Debian. Get that up & running & dick around for a bit. Once that's accomplished, you can go to a more thorough process of installing/setting up gent/arch

my .02

Ehh, I started off with Ubuntu. I found it a lot like Windows, which is what I was trying to get away from and I went back to Windows for a year or so until a friend suggested I try Arch. I liked Arch, being able to configure every bit of the system as you go (even though it probably took me a good 5 fresh installs before I got Xorg running), and once I discovered tiling window managers it was game over. I honestly don't understand the appeal of Ubuntu.

Ehh, I started off with Ubuntu. I found it a lot like Windows, which is what I was trying to get away from and I went back to Windows for a year or so until a friend suggested I try Arch. I liked Arch, being able to configure every bit of the system as you go (even though it probably took me a good 5 fresh installs before I got Xorg running), and once I discovered tiling window managers it was game over. I honestly don't understand the appeal of Ubuntu.

People like Ubuntu because it gives them all the "familiarity" they've always craved from Linux, but without the cost or malware of Windows.

Ubuntu is actually a decent distro for some environments, but you really have to keep up with all the non-standard stuff they are doing under the hood (which changes with every release) or it can be a nightmare to administer. But then, most typical Ubuntu users never have any reason to go under the hood and that's how they like it.