What Mail Server Do You Use?

Infiltrator

Hey guys,

I know a lot of you run servers at home and would like some suggestions on what mail server to get. I have no preference so be it Windows or Linux based.

Thank you.

Edited by Infiltrator

I've never set up a mail relay at home(or anywhere else for that matter) but just wondering, why would you want the overhead? I've set up Exchange on windows server 2003 before, and it was a pain in the ass. Not fun at all.

Besides, most home mail servers tend to be spam farms, and if not configured properly, you run the risk of having your own abused by spammers sending anonymous mail from your own servers. Personally, I just use my hosts email setup from my websites as well as the one provided by my ISP.

I've never set up a mail relay at home(or anywhere else for that matter) but just wondering, why would you want the overhead? I've set up Exchange on windows server 2003 before, and it was a pain in the ass. Not fun at all.

Besides, most home mail servers tend to be spam farms, and if not configured properly, you run the risk of having your own abused by spammers sending anonymous mail from your own servers. Personally, I just use my hosts email setup from my websites as well as the one provided by my ISP.

I am bit paranoid with email service providers and for that matter, I would like to set up my own mail server, it will give me more control over it. With regards to spam, I could whitelist the domains I wish to receive emails from, therefore blocking any other domain that is not on the list, consequently reducing the amount of spam or even preventing spammers from abusing my server.

I have used this company before to host my own email http://www.smartertools.com/smartermail/free-mail-server.aspx

But then I switched over to having Google host my email for my domain (free and easy).

I can see where you are coming from Infiltrator. Email servers run at home are more secure and give you more privacy than external services.

Also, i have heard Postfix as a possible server software you might want to look into. Good luck.

Edited by P@c_M@n

I can see where you are coming from Infiltrator. Email servers run at home are more secure and give you more privacy than external services.

Also, i have heard Postfix as a possible server software you might want to look into. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion, will look into it. However how would you go about accessing your emails via a web-based interface, instead of using Microsoft Outlook or any third party software.

Thanks again.

Some isps now using non-standard ports to thwart the setup of home email servers. I disdain comcrap, but att is worse about you not being able to have full use of your internet. (unless you go commercial). I postfix + extras for a while.

Edited by inventoman

I'm running Exchange 2003 at home, might be worth while trying to get hold of a copy of 2003 or 2010.

2003 is straight forward to setup and there are numerous anti spam solutions available to you, it’ll also be useful tool for you to see how Exchange interacts with Active Directory i.e. it’ll do your CV no harm