Old Times

SquiRe

I was just going through old Flickr photos from through the years of Hak5. I used to like how open they were with all of us. I miss that there isn't hakhouse.com anymore.. =/ it was nice to be a part of their life too..

Just figured id say my 2 cents. Not sure if anyone else feels this way. It'd be nice to have the hakhouse.com set up in Cali. :D

I think they are going in a smart direction, can't expect this stuff for free and I'm sure the profit margin has improved over the years too. Could you imagine how much time it would take to do what they do? It would have to be close to a full time job I'm sure if it isn't already. I do agree that sometimes the old days are the best days, but the content is still great!

very true. I'm just used to the cast being so personable with everyone. But they have to have their lives too. Maybe once they get a little more settled into Cali, some of old fun times will return. :)

seems to be getting very commercial imo.

and i wish the episodes were longer with more hacking

its cool learning about new software but i'd like to see more proof of concepts

and more with metasploit :D

the programming episodes grind my gears a little b/c they seem to be using script kiddie ide's ... you started using eclipse which is very powerful and the official tool for android ... then switched to the drag and drop thing which sucked ... and i dont think (correct me if im wrong) that anyone on the forum has a windows mobile ???

i know the competitions are worth entering for the chance of nokia promoting your app but again it seems to be another commercial tie

(im not having a dig its just my honest opinion)

• 3 weeks later...

The hakhouse cams and chat wall will make a return. It already has in some capacity. You may have noticed if you've been active on IRC. We're still in the process of building out the new studio. Shannon and other unannounced Hak5'ers will be moving to the bay area in mid February. There are many good things to come. The hacker challenge is evolving and the network built out for it will get use from the community in many new ways. I feel like we're in a new golden era for Hak5, with so much opportunity.

As for the content, we try to keep a good mix. In season 8 I experimented with whiteboarding and got great feedback. I really like doing segments on high level things like Pulse Code Modulation or the Domain Name System. We've done the usual networking, virtualization, penetration testing, homebrew, and development stuff in addition to our ever expanding conference coverage. We can't please everyone all of the time but as long as we're happy with what we're making it'll give us the motivation to keep going.

Oh, yeah, and case mods soon. Haven't done that in forever it seems!

TYTL

Great going Darren - I'm amazed by just how prolific you are in creating the weekly episodes. I agree that not all episodes will please everyone but, over a period of maybe 4 weeks, I'm sure that everyone will find at least one episode that really gets them "tingling" and makes them want to get hardware or software to follow up what you've discussed or demonstrated. I just don't know how you find the time to learn about all the new items, given the fact that you also work for a living (to put food on the table and beer in the fridge!).

I watch eagerly for my weekly shot of Technolust.

Great going Darren - I'm amazed by just how prolific you are in creating the weekly episodes. I agree that not all episodes will please everyone but, over a period of maybe 4 weeks, I'm sure that everyone will find at least one episode that really gets them "tingling" and makes them want to get hardware or software to follow up what you've discussed or demonstrated. I just don't know how you find the time to learn about all the new items, given the fact that you also work for a living (to put food on the table and beer in the fridge!).

I watch eagerly for my weekly shot of Technolust.

When you are passionate and you love what you do, nothing can stop you from achieving more out of it.

It all comes down to how much you are willing to give in. Darren has done an exceptional job throughout these years.

And the show did have some ups and downs but its still a great show and we should all enjoy and be supportive.

Guest Deleted_Account

The hakhouse cams and chat wall will make a return. It already has in some capacity. You may have noticed if you've been active on IRC. We're still in the process of building out the new studio. Shannon and other unannounced Hak5'ers will be moving to the bay area in mid February. There are many good things to come. The hacker challenge is evolving and the network built out for it will get use from the community in many new ways. I feel like we're in a new golden era for Hak5, with so much opportunity.

As for the content, we try to keep a good mix. In season 8 I experimented with whiteboarding and got great feedback. I really like doing segments on high level things like Pulse Code Modulation or the Domain Name System. We've done the usual networking, virtualization, penetration testing, homebrew, and development stuff in addition to our ever expanding conference coverage. We can't please everyone all of the time but as long as we're happy with what we're making it'll give us the motivation to keep going.

Oh, yeah, and case mods soon. Haven't done that in forever it seems!

TYTL

The hakhouse cams and chat wall where cool. I started watching the show during season 6 (near the end) and all the live stuff was really cool. The one thing I miss most is the Internet Game Show you had going I hope that can make a come back even if its once a month or so. The white board stuff was great as I personally learned a lot from it, not knowing anything about Pulse Code Modulation until after (Good job by the way!). Domain Nam system was informative and a great refresher (used it as a study tool for my exam =) ). The only part of the show I "dislike" (kind of a harsh term) is when there are long programing segments. I usually skip them and watch the rest of the show and come back later. It's not that I don't like them I just find its a lot of information to take in sometimes.

i just hate adverts ... if they keep hak5 on air then they're all good ... love the projects i can do at home :D (and the lame cabinet should get revisited and installed in a glass coffee table ;))

and tbh. any education is good education compared to the drizzle they put on TV

i think alot of the time most of the people dont appreciate how much effort you guys put into making the shows ... it must take up a lot of your time

keep up the good work dude and dudette ... we do appreciate your work

and just like you say 'you cant please everyone all the time' .... but you guys do 99.9% of the time

IM SO GUTTED I MISSED THE HAKATHON !!! grr lol

I've been watching since season 5 or 6 I believe, it's been a while. You guys are awesome. Keep up the good work. I look forward to your shows every week. Something interesting and constructive to watch. Just wish the shows were a lil longer but understand the amount of time sacrificed.

I remember the days of the "The Broken" the music was off the chain...:) Hak5 wasn't a spin off of that, right?