Sending Commands To A Vps With A Web Interface.

Seshan

I have a VPS running a game server, I would like to be able to send commands to the VPS to say Start the server or Stop the server, etc. I would like to have a web interface so I could just click "Stop" or "Start". I'm guessing I would do this over SSH.(that's how I do it now) But I'm not sure how I would go about doing this with a web interface. Can anyone point me at some info on how to do this? Thanks.

Webmin? I've used it on a few VM Appliances and I think there is a web page interface built in (might be a plugin for it) that mimics the cli from the shell. Takes full commands and returns the output to the web page. It also has icons for things like start and stop apache, etc.

Edited by digip

You can create a custom web-interface with HTML and CSS. For the part where you have to start and stop services, you could create two batch scripts, one for starting up the service and the other one for stopping service. My language of choice, would definitely be PHP.

I can see that definitely working.

Edited by Infiltrator

Will the web server be running on the VPS?

Not sure yet, but most likely.

Webmin? I've used it on a few VM Appliances and I think there is a web page interface built in (might be a plugin for it) that mimics the cli from the shell. Takes full commands and returns the output to the web page. It also has icons for things like start and stop apache, etc.

I'll check out webmin and see what I can do.

I found this free web-based server monitoring utility, I think it does what you are after

http://www.serverscheck.com.au/monitoring_software/

Webmin is really, really, damn awesome, but if you're only using it to start and stop a game server then it's a bit of a waste of resources. It should be easy enough to hak (pun intended) up a simple Python script that will accept a password that will then run a command that will then start/stop the game server. The only problem then is that if the game server needs root privelages to run (if it needs a port under 1024) then security will be an issue.

Webmin is really, really, damn awesome, but if you're only using it to start and stop a game server then it's a bit of a waste of resources. It should be easy enough to hak (pun intended) up a simple Python script that will accept a password that will then run a command that will then start/stop the game server. The only problem then is that if the game server needs root privelages to run (if it needs a port under 1024) then security will be an issue.

That's the problem with certain services, they always require root privileges in order to execute.