Android Tablet

Mr-Protocol

Guest Deleted_Account
This is an Android tablet I am looking to buy. It supports linux on it as well.

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_5...=us〈=en

Anyone have or played with this device before?

I haven't played with one but my friend has and he said that it is a great Android device and well worth the money. When I saw him messing with the other LinuxOS it looked like touch support from the Palm days, slow and weak. BUT it is pretty powerfully if you can get past or improve that part. I would love to see some BackTrack tools on it for portable WiFi fun!

the GUI looks like shit. an if running linux on it is like x942 said, i wouldnt buy it. if your able to apply android themes to make the GUI look better then it would be nice. but look at that keyboard! just terrible looking.

edit: NEVERMIND!!!! i guess thats an OS that was showing on the link you posted. i clicked overview, and it looks nice. yes i would buy it. esp that its totally opensource is a plus.

x942, what linux was your friend using on it? cause the new ubuntu 10.10 is designed for touch support.

Edited by okiwan

Guest Deleted_Account
the GUI looks like shit. an if running linux on it is like x942 said, i wouldnt buy it. if your able to apply android themes to make the GUI look better then it would be nice. but look at that keyboard! just terrible looking.

edit: NEVERMIND!!!! i guess thats an OS that was showing on the link you posted. i clicked overview, and it looks nice. yes i would buy it. esp that its totally opensource is a plus.

x942, what linux was your friend using on it? cause the new ubuntu 10.10 is designed for touch support.

My friend was using the one that, to say the least, is weaker than PalmOS but he was telling me he switched over to the ARM (I think it's arm have to check) version of Ubuntu NetBook addition. Said it works perfectly only problem was compiling the kernel as he had to do it from scratch and wifi issues of course all fixed now apparently. Next time I see him I will see about setting up a torrent download with it if anyone is interested.

Android on tablets = fail. Even Google admits this much.

Desktop OS on tablets = more fail. Poor Microsoft hasn't learnt this yet the hard way after the last 15 years.

The only OS that currently works well for tablets is iOS. Everyone else is just trying to jump on the Tablet bandwagon to try make some more money without actually understanding the form factor.

As a consumer, I would definitely not buy it. As a hacker, I may consider it, but just throwing touch compatibility on top of a regular desktop OS is just asking for failure, and that on-screen keyboard looks like total junk. Considering most Linux hackery is done via the command line, I would probably look for something a little more usable.

That does have the ability to do command line. The reason I want it is because I hate Apple products and was looking for an alternative to the Ipod Touch. Which I think this is a great one. It's basically a smart phone without the phone factor, but it does skype via android app.

if it runs all android apps like it said i dont see how it could be a bad thing. plus you can download kindle for free an read books on it in the dark before you go to sleep. an like i said in my edit, i dont think that keyboard is part of the actual OS. i think that was a cheap OS they used to show them dual booting. if not, then you can download a skin to make it look how ever you want.

The reason I want it is because I hate Apple products and was looking for an alternative to the Ipod Touch. Which I think this is a great one. It's basically a smart phone without the phone factor, but it does skype via android app.

Touch device + Desktop OS is just asking for trouble. It looks a bit big for an iPod alternative to me, and from what I've heard from 3 different Android users, the Android music player apps are utter garbage.

Android is a nice phone OS, as for music players DoubleTwist is kinda nice, the stock one on my Nexus One doesn't look nice but who cares when its in your pocket playing music? One thing I hate about Android is that is a mobile refuge for all the Linux kids who a: rant about how good there platform is compared to anything else, b: fail to admit any of the shortcomings of Android (I've been called an Apple shill for that claim before), c: have dragged across all there god-awful UI design skills to the platform.

As for Android and Tablets, Psychosis is correct. They are currently shit, even Google is saying "we're not ready yet". Its not even Linux, its just a Linux kernel running a VM which runs your apps. If you want a linux device then your current options are basically MeeGo, which is still in Beta. But when it does hit, MeeGo+Atom will be the devices your trying to hack together now. Save your money until Q2, 2011.

This is an Android tablet I am looking to buy. It supports linux on it as well.

http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_5...=us〈=en

Anyone have or played with this device before?

I used to run Angstom on my Sharp Zaurus years ago. It's still not gotten very far since then. It's buggy, slow as hell, and the devs are asses. I'd wait for x86 based tablets to get a little better, or pick up a cheap tablet off fleabay to play with.

Guest Deleted_Account
Android is a nice phone OS, as for music players DoubleTwist is kinda nice, the stock one on my Nexus One doesn't look nice but who cares when its in your pocket playing music? One thing I hate about Android is that is a mobile refuge for all the Linux kids who a: rant about how good there platform is compared to anything else, b: fail to admit any of the shortcomings of Android (I've been called an Apple shill for that claim before), c: have dragged across all there god-awful UI design skills to the platform.

As for Android and Tablets, Psychosis is correct. They are currently shit, even Google is saying "we're not ready yet". Its not even Linux, its just a Linux kernel running a VM which runs your apps. If you want a linux device then your current options are basically MeeGo, which is still in Beta. But when it does hit, MeeGo+Atom will be the devices your trying to hack together now. Save your money until Q2, 2011.

While I agree with what you are saying as far as limitations and MeeGo I still say Android > iOS at least in the smart phone space. That is because IMO the iPhone is overpriced and over hyped I mean I got my 4G iPod touch and an HTC Desire for less than an iPhone 4 without contract (which is what I did with my desire). Now I don't mean to diss apple because I do love iOS and everything apple did to improve the smart phone industry but I still prefer Android over iOS because of that level of customization you can't get even with jailbreak. Now as far as tablets go it is definitely the other way around iOS dominates the tablet sector while the Archos 5 is a nice device the iPad (or touch for that matter) completely blow it away. MeeGo looks nice but personally I am still hoping for the rumoured courier as it blows even the iPad away IMO.

As far as full OS's on tablets Windows never works well except on those nice all-in-one pc's with multi-touch monitors ( I think Dell does one) but not really a tablet they are nice to use though! The only tablet I have EVER used with a FULL OS was running Ubuntu and it was the Thinkpad X201T which I got to try out with Lucid installed on it. It's more power full than an iPad but not as practical for obvious reasons. If you want a tablet go with something designed for it, like iOS, while still being open for full customization.

I am employed at a college as a media services and broadcast technician. I ask the company to send a demo to the college under my name, I play with it, send it back. It's like a free form of electronic prostitution.

thats cool.

It's like a free form of electronic prostitution.

:lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I LOVE MY ARCHOS IT!!!!!! I've had it for almost a year now. Its the only media player with 3D graphics accelerator and open GL. the only thing I would like to see on it is the FroYo android 2.2 will not likely come out on the 7gen. :(:( they just released the 8th gen with even better hardware so if your going to get one wait abit and get the 8th gen. I originally got it with the intention using it as a portable wifi sniffer, wireshark for android. but I couldn't any good software for it. and by that time I fell in love with the archos media player software and the specialized graphics. If I root it then I loose the software that take advantage of the acceleration :(:( or if you want a cheap one the prices on gen 7 are dropping.

this is the one I have Archos 5 IT