Virus - Information

astromech_kuhns

i am wanting some info on computer Virus's, trojans, spyware, and adware.

• how to create them
  • what you create them in
  • how they are uploaded to sites
  • how they are downloaded
  • what they are made to do
  • how many parts there are to them

How to create them

what do you have to do to create a virus, what do you make them to target, how do you have them execute/run?

What to create them in

what program to create them in, and do you create them in a programming language, do you have them run through the command prompt as a .exe?

how they are uploaded to a site

how do virus's get onto websites and what kind of websites are vulnurable to virus's?

how are they downloaded?

do you have to click on something that is infected to have the virus download, or can they automatically download if a site is infected?

What are they made to do

lots of kinds of them, but what is the main function, to damage the OS or to bogg a system down with proccess's?

how many parts are there to a virus?

is it one single program or do you have a program that is executed by a .exe also attached to the program automatically upon download?

basically this is purely informative. i am wondering about them and when i run a google search i get things like "how to make a fake virus that will shut your computer down!" when all they do is use the run program to run the shutdown command and give it a internet explorer icon so there friend will click on it.

i also know one can put in notepad Format C: and save it as a .exe and have it be run on a computer, which is why i wonder if most virus's are targeted at the OS through the command prompt.

anyway, would love to learn more about them! im a newb to virus creaton so anything beyond what i aked that is informative will be great.

THANKS!

How to create them

what do you have to do to create a virus, what do you make them to target, how do you have them execute/run?

Write it. Run them like a normal application (that's what they are)

What to create them in

what program to create them in, and do you create them in a programming language, do you have them run through the command prompt as a .exe?

Write them in notepad.

how they are uploaded to a site

how do virus's get onto websites and what kind of websites are vulnurable to virus's?

Buy some advertising space

how are they downloaded?

do you have to click on something that is infected to have the virus download, or can they automatically download if a site is infected?

Either through user stupidity or browser exploit

What are they made to do

lots of kinds of them, but what is the main function, to damage the OS or to bogg a system down with proccess's?

Any thing, most malware is created to make money.

how many parts are there to a virus?

is it one single program or do you have a program that is executed by a .exe also attached to the program automatically upon download?

Can be a single executable, might be many executables and dlls.

basically this is purely informative. i am wondering about them and when i run a google search i get things like "how to make a fake virus that will shut your computer down!" when all they do is use the run program to run the shutdown command and give it a internet explorer icon so there friend will click on it.

i also know one can put in notepad Format C: and save it as a .exe and have it be run on a computer, which is why i wonder if most virus's are targeted at the OS through the command prompt.

anyway, would love to learn more about them! im a newb to virus creaton so anything beyond what i aked that is informative will be great.

THANKS!

Few virus use command prompt, they just run the programs they need.

so a virus is a normal application. they are written in notepad. and they run like any other program. im assuming they would be a executable file then?

and i know some virus's are in advertising space, but i know of a site that was listed as a attack site. i guess the coding was changed (i would assume) , so what happens to a site that does something like that, gets reported as a attack site and is dangerous? is there coding changed somehow? or the server hosting it have a virus?

computers crash from virus's, what do most of those do, corrupt OS files than? what do they do to corrupt them?

so a program can be auto ran if it can be a single executable how is that set up to auto run?

so most arent done through command prompt, they are simply a application like anyother, programmed to target specific things within the OS, rather than using the command prompt to execute commands. makes sense, as a aspp would have more possibility's

so what kind of programs are virus's saved as? .exe? and how do you program them, notepad is basic script but does the language have a name so i can look it up and learn it?

i apreciate your time and i thank you!

as a end user getting a virus or protecting against them i am knowledgable, but as far as being on the other end i am not really aware of how it works, and would love to understand it more, and that would probably help me security to.... although i run linux, it will help for a IT job.

so a virus is a normal application. they are written in notepad. and they run like any other program. im assuming they would be a executable file then?

You can write a virus off a notepad program. But that's not how a virus is normally written.

I can't remember from the top of my head, but there are specifically designed editor software for writing viruses.

You might be able to find it, through Google Searches.

You can write a virus off a notepad program. But that's not how a virus is normally written.

I can't remember from the top of my head, but there are specifically designed editor software for writing viruses.

You might be able to find it, through Google Searches.

You are thinking of visual basic.

You are thinking of visual basic.

That's one tool, can you name a few other.

so with writing a program in notepad and turning it into a app, what are you designing it to do if it is supposed to say corrupt system files? im still very new to learning to program, so how does one be able to target something like that? make it go from downloading, to automatically executing and then to corrupting or deleting files?

so with writing a program in notepad and turning it into a app, what are you designing it to do if it is supposed to say corrupt system files? im still very new to learning to program, so how does one be able to target something like that? make it go from downloading, to automatically executing and then to corrupting or deleting files?

Its really up to you or what intentions you have.

If you really are good at programing, you can design a virus to do anything for you.

For instance, you can design a virus to exploit vulnerabilities in a system and make them install themselves as a keylogger and record all the PC activity or as backdoor program to later connect to it remotely.

You could design the virus to render the system useless or encrypt files and then ask the owner for ransom.

Its really up to you or what intentions you have.

If you really are good at programing, you can design a virus to do anything for you.

For instance, you can design a virus to exploit vulnerabilities in a system and make them install themselves as a keylogger and record all the PC activity or as backdoor program to later connect to it remotely.

You could design the virus to render the system useless or encrypt files and then ask the owner for ransom.

well, i am not good at programming yet, although i am starting to learn. so i dont exactly know how to go about something like this. but i have a idea...

it would go something like execute the program. program locates system files in specified path that are already known do to how a OS is set up. and then program upon locating it will delete files or change soure code to corrupt files?

then add the programing inbetween, but i assume you would program it like that?

While I don't like posting in such threads, I thought I'd point this out. I'm not sure if that would be a virus, technically, since it can't spread, since once you kill their system, your program can't go anywhere from there. Unless you have an infected site people will go to, or you are targeting one person, if you are targeting one person, there are better ways about going about that.

Edited by BattZ

While I don't like posting in such threads, I thought I'd point this out. I'm not sure if that would be a virus, technically, since it can't spread, since once you kill their system, your program can't go anywhere from there. Unless you have an infected site people will go to, or you are targeting one person, if you are targeting one person, there are better ways about going about that.

you could write a destructive virus to only be destructive after it thinks it has infected another 10 or so computers.

A Virus doesn't have to be able to spread to still be a virus if its main purpose is to destroy its target. All it has to be able to do is infect a system when run on it, whether as a trojan in a game or piece of software or something you just downloaded and ran and then destroyed your system. A Worm on the other hand is something that will want to spread itself, and often carries multiple viruses with it as payloads along the way while traveling.

you could write a destructive virus to only be destructive after it thinks it has infected another 10 or so computers.

A Virus doesn't have to be able to spread to still be a virus if its main purpose is to destroy its target. All it has to be able to do is infect a system when run on it, whether as a trojan in a game or piece of software or something you just downloaded and ran and then destroyed your system. A Worm on the other hand is something that will want to spread itself, and often carries multiple viruses with it as payloads along the way while traveling.

True, I guess I still think of a virus like a biological virus, since if it kills a new host before it can infect something else, it too would die off quite quickly.

TO the OP: This site is in the sticked so you want to hack thread in one of the forums, might be worth you taking a look at, I haven't poked around there much, but it seems to have some good information that you might benefit from.

http://vxchaos.official.ws/

Edited by BattZ

well i guess it could be sent over email to multiple computers if that was a to widespread (most peoples goals)

so there a specific name for a language to write in notepad to create a app?

I think he was more or less pointing out that the code is generally written in plain text. For instance, code written in python, perl or C is in plain text and can be done from notepad or any text editor. C requires it to be compiled to an executable, as where python just requires naming it in somefile.py and running it on a system with python installed, etc.

VBS and BAT files run natively in windows since they are windows executable formats, but are just scripts sort of like a bash script which is also written in plain text and can be executed on a unix/linux system.

Guest Deleted_Account
LMAO

lol While it is funny you have to wonder how much these people made:http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=945 (although personally i would have used AES-256 bit over the less secure RSA they used ( I mean 30 years to crack it is nothing compared o AES-256bit. And also implemented NSA 7 pass wipe so the user couldn't just recover the "deleted" files. Maybe thats a little too evil of me to think of :P

lol While it is funny you have to wonder how much these people made:http://www.net-security.org/malware_news.php?id=945 (although personally i would have used AES-256 bit over the less secure RSA they used ( I mean 30 years to crack it is nothing compared o AES-256bit. And also implemented NSA 7 pass wipe so the user couldn't just recover the "deleted" files. Maybe thats a little too evil of me to think of :P

Depending on the key length RSA can be a lot more secure than AES-256. Personally I would have encrypted in Blowfish or something like that and then encrypted the keyfile/password with RSA. This would sacrifice a tiny bit of security in exchange for speed.

Of course this depends on how much you're trying to encrypt.

Depending on the key length RSA can be a lot more secure than AES-256. Personally I would have encrypted in Blowfish or something like that and then encrypted the keyfile/password with RSA. This would sacrifice a tiny bit of security in exchange for speed.

Wouldn't that be a lot more secure to just encrypt the data with RSA instead of blowfish, since the RSA keys can be a lot more lengthy than the blowfish keys.

But I do I understand where you are coming from. It was just my observation.

Wouldn't that be a lot more secure to just encrypt the data with RSA instead of blowfish, since the RSA keys can be a lot more lengthy than the blowfish keys.

But I do I understand where you are coming from. It was just my observation.

You are quite right it would be a lot more secure however very slooooooooow. That's why Blowfish or Twofish would be better in this case because both are faster than AES. Then when you encrypt the keyfile/password with RSA you get the security of RSA coupled with the speed of Blow/Twofish.

Guest Deleted_Account

True but I am basing it on the fact AES-256 is military grade and RSA is usually applied in transmissions rather then file encryption and as such could easily be implemented wrong and the method from the article i posted it was rather weak as they were crackable by a 1GHZ processor in 30 years. My PS3's Cell Processor could kill it in far less . As for security both are VERY secure (when implemented well) but hey screw it and pull a TC and go with AES-TWOFISH-Serpent :P now they are screwed!

True but I am basing it on the fact AES-256 is military grade and RSA is usually applied in transmissions rather then file encryption and as such could easily be implemented wrong and the method from the article i posted it was rather weak as they were crackable by a 1GHZ processor in 30 years. My PS3's Cell Processor could kill it in far less . As for security both are VERY secure (when implemented well) but hey screw it and pull a TC and go with AES-TWOFISH-Serpent :P now they are screwed!

Hahaha, AES-Twofish-Serpent. Now that is something I would love to see someone do :D

You are quite right it would be a lot more secure however very slooooooooow. That's why Blowfish or Twofish would be better in this case because both are faster than AES. Then when you encrypt the keyfile/password with RSA you get the security of RSA coupled with the speed of Blow/Twofish.

Considering it may not be as secure as RSA, it would still require a lot of processing power to crack the keys. But it still provide both speed and security, which in this case its sill good option.

Edited by Infiltrator