Networking

darkzar99

I think the difference lies in the tolerances of the CAT6 cable. Because the CAT6 cable is of better quality, you can either run higher bandwidth over it, or more reliable or whatever. Connectors and the way the inside of the cable looks etc is still the same.

I'm sure Metatron will correct me here, but I haven't found much of a difference between the two. Might have something to do with the fact that I've only used short lengths (less than 25 meters). Back when I was wiring up my house (2 years or so ago) I could get a great deal on CAT-5E cable, so I got that. If the price is relatively close these days, it wouldn't hurt to get CAT-6, but I haven't found a great need for it.

Yes. RJ45 is the intended connector for both types of cable. Basically you can swap the one for the other. No harm, no foul.

CAT6 is better suited for gigabit ethernet, but both are capable of it.

I've got an Asus GigaX whatever 8-port gigabit switch. It's a cheap piece of shit, but does the job nicely so far. I was getting 20 MB/s transferring a big file with a scp. 20 mb/s was the maximum speed the old, slow-ass harddisk in the source machine was able to cough up its data. Need to do some decent tests once my RAID is complete, as theoretically 100 MB/s should be possible. At that point the cable might come into play of course.

P.S.: I checked and CAT6 cable costs just under twice as much as CAT5e. But we're talking 35 euros for 100 meters, so it shouldn't really break the bank to get CAT6 anyways. I remember from reading somewhere that CAT6 doesn't like sharp bends as much as CAT5e does, but that might be bullcrap.

Yes. RJ45 is the intended connector for both types of cable. Basically you can swap the one for the other. No harm, no foul.

CAT6 is better suited for gigabit ethernet, but both are capable of it.

ok, thanks Cooper, just wanted to be sure before i bought anything

I use Cat6 or Fibre(10Gbps), the other guys have answered your question fairly well so I can’t add much to it, but if your planning on sending any Video or audio down the cable using one of those converters you should go with Cat6.

Cat6 standands a lot stricter than Cat5e if you want to be able to certify your network Cat6. I've had some Cat6 from ebay and looked at it closely and they have made the length up wrong and thus defying the point of it being Cat6. You have to make sure you twist the pairs right up to the end of the socket almost and things like that.

But to really answer you question like most people are here you can use it on any ethernet network together with Cat5e and on the same hardware.

ok well it really doesnt need to be certified cat6, its just for my home, i currently have a mix of cat5 and cat5e installed and i dont know if it would be better to got to cat6 or just buy more cat5e (i need to run some more cabling because i am running more computers now then i did when i first put it all in) as for transferring data from one computer to another, i rarely do anything extremely big, maybe once every two months i will copy my entire hard drive from one computer to another for backup but usually i just copy small programs or drivers and backing up pictures, so would you recommend getting cat6 or just stick with cat5e?

If they are close in price and your getting it from a reliable source then go with the Cat6, it'll probably last you longer.

If you want cheapness then Cat5e can be found stupidly cheap. I'd go with Cat6 if you have Gigabit hardware or going to get gigabit soon.

http://www.tiaonline.org/standards/technology/cat6/faq.cfm

Using gigabit speeds through cat5e is really starting to push it to it's limits, it's inevitable that we will keep increasing the bandwidth availible and the bandwidth needed on our networks in future. So it is a good idea to go with cat6 over cat5e.

As for cat6 not being as good with sharp bends, I think some of the early cat6 cables had a spline in them?

The price can add up quickly when you start adding up the equipment you need. But if you are future proofing your home fibre is the way to go. You can pick up a QLogic SANbox 5200 8 ports switch for £1,586.10.

The price can add up quickly when you start adding up the equipment you need. But if you are future proofing your home fibre is the way to go. You can pick up a QLogic SANbox 5200 8 ports switch for £1,586.10.

I don't doubt that, but when thats twice the price of your main computer and you only paid £70 for your last 8 - port gigabit switch its a little out of most peoples price range.

I'll stick to Gigabit for the moment, it does the job fine.

What really sucks about fiber is that it's next to impossible to put it in yourself. With CAT5/6 you can just go out, buy one of those cramping things some cable and a few RJ45 plugs and you can go on your merry ways. That's mighty useful when you want to pull your own wire through the house via pipes that are about 15 mm (0.6 inch) in diameter.

Fiber cables tend to be thinner and more flexible, but you can't pull it through the pipe with the connector attached, and it's next to impossible to apply your own connector to the bare cable.

What really sucks about fiber is that it's next to impossible to put it in yourself. With CAT5/6 you can just go out, buy one of those cramping things some cable and a few RJ45 plugs and you can go on your merry ways. That's mighty useful when you want to pull your own wire through the house via pipes that are about 15 mm (0.6 inch) in diameter.

Fiber cables tend to be thinner and more flexible, but you can't pull it through the pipe with the connector attached, and it's next to impossible to apply your own connector to the bare cable.

I have all the kit needed and it’s not that hard to make your own cables, but you have to spend some time to make sure you get the best results.

Universal 200x-400x inspection scope

Loctite Anaerobic Adhesive Kit (with syringes and needles)

Crimp ALL crimper with Universal Crimp Die

Tube Stripper & Slitter

Pro Fibre Cutter

Cable Slitter / Ringing Tool

Connector Cleaning Cartridge

Diamond Fibre Scribe

Alcohol Dispenser

Polishing Paper

Universal polishing puck

Polishing Plate

Polishing compound

Sunglasses

Wipes

You can buy a complete kits that will handle 200 connectors for around £480 or you can save some money if you shop around a bit.