Challenge

brev

Okay fellow hackers here is a challenge for you guys and gals. My school has this really old gateway desktops just like these two http://seilerwerks.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/towers.jpg The goal of this challenge is to get logged on to the local admin account. You can do this either with a cd or flashdrive. These computers are running xp and the users are set up to log onto network accounts, of course. One of the problems that I run into is running a program after I log in. I DO NOT want to run a program that requires me to log in first because then the IT people can see and have a history of everything that I run and do. The second problem is the computers have bios passwords. The last problem is I cant get inside the cases of the computers,unplug them, ect. I am only able to put in a cd or usd drive. So the challenge is: how do I get logged in to the local computer admin account without being able to change boot order, or login to run a program? Winner gets a cookie!!

Okay fellow hackers here is a challenge for you guys and gals. My school has this really old gateway desktops just like these two http://seilerwerks.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/towers.jpg The goal of this challenge is to get logged on to the local admin account. You can do this either with a cd or flashdrive. These computers are running xp and the users are set up to log onto network accounts, of course. One of the problems that I run into is running a program after I log in. I DO NOT want to run a program that requires me to log in first because then the IT people can see and have a history of everything that I run and do. The second problem is the computers have bios passwords. The last problem is I cant get inside the cases of the computers,unplug them, ect. I am only able to put in a cd or usd drive. So the challenge is: how do I get logged in to the local computer admin account without being able to change boot order, or login to run a program? Winner gets a cookie!!

Ya, thanks :) but seriously do you have any ideas? It is really just to get on facebook but long story short there is no chance of a proxy

Edited by brev

Be had a similar set-up at my school, but F8 or F12 brought up the boot menu screen (depending on the machine). If your school network is locked down like mine was, you won't be able to access Facebook without a proxy no matter how hard you try.

I like Sparda's idea better, though.

I've been fiddling around with my schools network for a long time, and the easiest way I've found is to befriend an IT teacher (they usually have admin/better privileges than you), and I got mine to give me his moodle password which was the same as his user password. The other way was that all machines are locked down with active directory like all corporate networks should, but I found one machine had issues with this and was far more lenient than the others, for example allowing an executable to run if it was named 'explorer.exe', from which I managed to enable command prompt, and from there you can access everything.... If you're serious about this then post more details on how the machines are locked down using

EDIT: it's worth trying backdoor bios passwords, because if you could boot from cd/usb then the machine doesn't stand a chance. Try googling for some

Edited by iisjman07

EDIT: it's worth trying backdoor bios passwords, because if you could boot from cd/usb then the machine doesn't stand a chance. Try googling for some

I forgot the name of the program we used, but we actually cracked the BIOS password. It required local administrator privileges in the first place, though. Don't you love recursive infinite loops?

Edited by Psychosis

First of all, this smells incredibly fishy as stated above.

Second of all, instead of asking us why don't you go and learn how todo it yourself.

Third, What programs run on the XP machines. For example do they have Microsoft Access from which you can run macros's that can spawn command prompt Windows. Also there was a new exploit released in the past week that can exploit an XP machine with Quicktime on it from a remote location.

I don't know if this is going to work or not, since you don't have access to the BIOS to change the boot order. But its worth a try.

Download the live version of OPHcrack and try to crack the admin password with it.

If that does not work, try to use ntpassword offline to change the password or reset it if worse come to worse.

Or you could use Metasploit to get into the computer, if the computer is connected to a network.

Edited by Infiltrator

Considering he's trying to access Facebook, and it's a school computer, I would hazard a guess that it's on a network, Infiltrator.

I would say that too, I just realized that now. I must have misread his reply. thanks for bringing that up.

Sounds eerily like a ZOMG I N33D tO HaX0r my Ex-Gf's mySPaCE.

But I lost faith in people a long time ago.

If's it just to access facebook, why not just use a virtual machine on a thumb drive, unless they have a key logger on the machine, or looking at your desktop, they shouldn't be able to know what your doing. If your really paranoid, you could use TOR.