Smoothwall

mythxone

hello all,

a while back i was watching the season 7 e18 of hak 5. the one about your home brew router. well, i had most of the gears laying around my room so i decided to build one myself with some suggested customs in that episode of hak5.

but.. while loading and installing went ok, it came to the point of installing LILO, it gave "Unable to install lilo", i tried to reinstalling it again but to no avail.

i really want to get this working, and i need some advice on whats going on. i tried looking around on some linux forums; there is much out there but nothing that could help me. mind u i am a novice at this. however i do have good understanding of computer hardware and software. Also, the computer i have chosen is not the exact specs of what Darren was describing, it is more than enough with 2 gigs of RAM, 250 Gig HDD space, 2 NICs, .... anyways...

it is a beast for what i am using. :lol:

i also got the smoothwall from the same website that darren in the above episode mentioned i know i have downloaded the right one. but i dont know why it stops at.. installing LILO.

what solution are you guys proposing??

cheers.

I'm a bigger fan of grub then lilo personally, so this might not be able to work exactly, but you could try booting from a live Ubuntu cd, and installing grub/lilo from there. There is probably a more elegant solution, but I just woke up and haven't had breakfast or anything yet so my brain is still booting...(it uses grub too)

I was able to install Smoothwall on a VM without any issues at all.

You might want to re-download the full smoothwall package and then try reinstalling it again.

Also what installer did you download, the x32 or x64 bit?

Ensure you have an uncorrupted ISO and correct VS. 32/64bit & CPU Intel/AMD (As Infiltrator stated).

I had recently tried most if not all router packages and had troubles initially which I later discovered was a bad HDD. I ended up choosing pFSense and have had no issues since final install and running beta4. Your issue sounds like those I had on install related to the HDD error.

Ensure you have an uncorrupted ISO and correct VS. 32/64bit & CPU Intel/AMD (As Infiltrator stated).

I had recently tried most if not all router packages and had troubles initially which I later discovered was a bad HDD. I ended up choosing pFSense and have had no issues since final install and running beta4. Your issue sounds like those I had on install related to the HDD error.

another thought is if the drive you are using to install is older run a cleaning disk. I have had issues with a dvd burner that I havnt used in forever while installing xp on a box. also agree with the possibly corrupted version of the iso. but thats my 2c for what its worth.

Let us know if you are still experiencing issues.