Wireless Not Connecting

rlocone

Hello all,

I have a dual band router running. All of machines can connect to it accept one. So, I know t's not the router. This laptop is running Win 7. Manually created the wireless profile for it. For some reason it will not connect to the 5ghz band. When searching around for some package capture software. I know that WireShark can do it but won't show the adapter to capture til it's connect. Also tried to use Microsoft network monitor 3.4. It' has a monitor mode and was looking at the traffic was generated. I attempted to connect to the 5ghz band and not seeing the info I want. I want to see why it's failing.

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks for your time & attention,

Make sure the radio is enabled on the laptop.

Edited by digip

Make sure the radio is enabled on the laptop.

Yep, the radio is on and I can see other networks and can connect to them not to the 5ghz one. That laptop with just a b/g card in it. I purchased a new dual band card and installed it last October. I know at one time it used to connect fine. Noticed the other day that my wife was on the wrong network and not on the 5ghz. That was the sole purpose of purchasing / installing that card into the laptop in the 1st place. I asked her how long has it been like this? Oh I don't know I never noticed it just connected. Yeah connected alright to the wrong one.

If you are running wireshark on Windows vista/7 you need to right click run as administrative privs to have it show adapters. You can also check box the .exe in properties to always run as admin privs.

As to why you cannot connect to 5ghz, I would delete all wireless profiles and let windows find it and then ask you for the key.

Make sure you have the correct drivers and the drive is properly installed. Also make sure, the Zero wireless service is running on your laptop.

If you are running wireshark on Windows vista/7 you need to right click run as administrative privs to have it show adapters. You can also check box the .exe in properties to always run as admin privs.

As to why you cannot connect to 5ghz, I would delete all wireless profiles and let windows find it and then ask you for the key.

Thanks, I'm always admin. I made it that I always have the elevated rights. I'd have to try that & see what it does.

weird question...it wouldn't be a compatibility issue with the wifi equipment in your laptop? :blink:

Yeah the weird thing it used to work. It's that I don't know how long it hasn't. I don't use the laptop so I don't know.

Wait, why are you using 802.11a? 802.11b/g cards can only connect to 2.4ghz unless its all three, a/b/g capable. Otherwise that card is doing what it is supposed to do. It will never connect to the 5ghz band if it cant do 802.11a and only does 802.11 b/g. Am I missing something here?

What card is it you are having trouble with? What is the model, and capabilities of this card?

Edited by digip