extreme beep codes

darkzar99

ok my new capacitors came today and i soldered them in, but the motherboard is still broken.

when i turn on the computer it does the same thing it did before, it gives me 12 beeps

the first to are fast, then a short pause, then 8 beeps and then another pause then 2 more beeps

is there any hope left?

(btw the model of the computer is a gateway k7-950)

well i made a decision, i think it would be easiest if i just spent $25 on ebay to buy a new motherboard, i cant find anything on google, the model is ms-6330, as far as i know the cpu is still good so buying a new motherboard will probably be easiest

If you can find out what MoBo is inside, a quick Google can tell you what the beeps mean. There are also some bords that tell you the mobo's error code.

+3 points for the colorization

+1 extra point for getting the colors correct

well i made a decision, i think it would be easiest if i just spent $25 on ebay to buy a new motherboard, i cant find anything on google, the model is ms-6330, as far as i know the cpu is still good so buying a new motherboard will probably be easiest

how do you know its the motherboard, those beeps might be the motherboard telling you the cpu is gone. If you know who made the motherboard you can go to there site and download a copy of the manual that will tell you what is actually wrong with it.

how do you know its the motherboard, those beeps might be the motherboard telling you the cpu is gone. If you know who made the motherboard you can go to there site and download a copy of the manual that will tell you what is actually wrong with it.

well see i bought this from a friend, two compters identical, one worked and the other didnt, when he was trying to take the heatsink off of one of them, for some reason he was using a screw driver to remove the clip holding it on and it slipped off and chipped the corner off of a very small chip, i didnt realize until just a few minutes ago that he also bent 2 pins on another chip beside that one and they are shorted, along with all of that was the capacitors, so i will put the cpu from that one into the motherboard of the one working and that will tell me

for the beep codes the technical description is "2-8-2", i couldnt find anything in the manual online for the motherboard, nor on gateway's site

You know I'm going to save that bbcode in a text file for future use :D

darkzar99, it's posible that it's actualy compaining about multiple things, so while you have a beep patten of 2-8-2, the beeps might be compleatly seperate. Although it seems unlikly, it's posible.

I would recommend reseating the RAM, especially for the number of beeps. If reseating/swapping out the RAM doesn't help then try the same with the video card.

Those beeps are part of the POST check, they are supposed to let you know if the POST check encounters any problems while scanning your hardware.

Kudos to you if you get it working, I have a board at home with two blown capacitors and if this is all it takes well, *shrug*, it never hurts to have a functional board lying around.

+5 Redundant.

And since when did we start moderating the forums slashdot style? Damn, someone tell me there's a plugin for phpBB. Erg, this place would be so damn cool if we had a decent forum admin. Current management is lazy! They suck! Screw Hak.wait.

Yeah, no, I'm just too uber busy producing the show. :(

Ok, now that I've taken us +5 Off Topic I'll digress and hope to get a PM from a badass phpBB nerd that makes me schreak with joy.

PS: In soviet russia hak5 watches you!

+5 Redundant.

And since when did we start moderating the forums slashdot style? Damn, someone tell me there's a plugin for phpBB. Erg, this place would be so damn cool if we had a decent forum admin. Current management is lazy! They suck! Screw Hak.wait.

Yeah, no, I'm just too uber busy producing the show. :(

Ok, now that I've taken us +5 Off Topic I'll digress and hope to get a PM from a badass phpBB nerd that makes me schreak with joy.

PS: In soviet russia hak5 watches you!

Mod parent up.

Best. Post. Ever.

BBCode:

[color=blue]G[/color][color=red]o[/color][color=yellow]o[/color][color=blue]g[/color][color=green]l[/color][color=red]e[/color]

With link to www.google.com:

[url=www.google.com][color=blue]G[/color][color=red]o[/color][color=yellow]o[/color][color=blue]g[/color][color=green]l[/color][color=red]e[/color][/url]