Obama's In Town

Whedgit

This is not something to be proud of... nuff said

Thats your opinion. Even though I don't like George Bush, I wouldn't think it a bad thing to see him in person. He was a lousy president, but he was our lousy president just the same. How often do you get to meet your leader? or better yet, possibly have the chance to shake hi shand or hit him up with the important questions you have. Can't make a difference in the world if you dont participate in it.

Same goes, for example I would happily watch Peter Mandelson be slowly run through a

, however I would love the opportunity to have a face to face meeting with the man, just so I could ask him some questions about the Digital Economy Bill and his unelected status in government. If your attitude to politics is "I will only every listen to my guy" then you deserve every shit politician you get. I will admit that the situation in America is far more tense however, as I would honestly be surprised if the USA makes it through the next century in one piece.

i never said i was proud of it or a fan of obama, but its just interesting to see the buzz that is going on right now on campus, plus getting to work with some of the white house staff is pretty cool. actually thats more interesting to me than actually seeing the president.

digip is right, this is a once in a lifetime opportunity

and i would encourage everyone to go and see their country's leader if they have the chance.

Same goes, for example I would happily watch Peter Mandelson be slowly run through a
, however I would love the opportunity to have a face to face meeting with the man, just so I could ask him some questions about the Digital Economy Bill and his unelected status in government. If your attitude to politics is "I will only every listen to my guy" then you deserve every shit politician you get. I will admit that the situation in America is far more tense however, as I would honestly be surprised if the USA makes it through the next century in one piece.

True. How does a man who's bent as FCUK get into the House Of Lords after being kicked out of parliament several times. Someone REALLY needs to go to Mandy's house, crack is WIFI, download crap so he gets warning letters so it can be explained to him why it's such a crap bill.

I'd rather see Obama than Bush any day. Bush was just a bully redneck cowboy. How the hell he ever got into office is anyone's guess. I'd be proud to help out for Obama. America's first black president. It's gotta be a good thing.

Yeahhhh the brother is in town.

I would love a chance to submit questions to our countries leader and, as VaKo said, Mandy too.

Although I think submitting a question or even just attending the UK Leaders debate would be better. I wanted to go to one, but the 3 debates for the UK election were held in England. (Its not like there is 3 other countries in the UK).

Mainly because the SNP, Plaid Cymru are minority parties who will only ever appeal to a small amount of voters, and because the combined population of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland is smaller then the metropolitan population of London alone. I do think devolution needs to be examined further, but both Welsh and Scottish nationalists have to come to terms with being much smaller and far less influenced parts of a whole. I don't think either were justified in being part of the main debates (and neither do I think UKIP or the Green Party had a place), but there was nothing stopping BBC Scotland or BBC Cymru from hosting there own debates that focused on the devolved governments politics.

Oh wait, they did:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdo...cottish_debates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdo...0#Welsh_debates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdo...Ireland_debates

Personally, as someone living in Hampshire I have very little interest in what the SNP have to say and no one actually cares about Northern Ireland so long as they aren't killing each other.

My problem with the debates wasn't fully that the SNP/Plaid Cymru couldn't take place, its that they were English centered.

They were for the whole of the UK, but were held in England, featured the English parties and spoke about devolved English Matters.

It was more the English Leaders debate, rather than the UK Leaders debate.

England isn't devolved, we're run by the British government. As for the matters discussed, the economy & foreign relations are British issues (especially since Scotland is subsided by the English tax payer), but I will give you domestic issues. And like it or not, they are the largest parties and the only ones that have any real say on British issues as neither the SNP or Plaid Cymru will ever win a national majority. The regional debates were there and focused on the issues that are more important to the devolved governments, as they should have done. The real issue here isn't the TV debates, its why Scottish and Welsh voters have any say on English matters, they should hold independent elections for there respective parliaments that will form devolved governments which are part of a national government. If the ultimate goal is independence along side a fast tracked EU membership then this will have to happen.