Phone Upgrade

Darkmist!

hello everyone.

i currently have a blackberry curve and i am looking to upgrade my phone to something that will allow me to do more.

i like the nexus phone as its powered by the android OS. i want something that will allow me to SSH into my home servers and manage them remotely. i know on the G1 there was an app for this purpose and so there should be one for the nexus one. i was just curious what the Hak5 community thought about this phone and if they had any suggestions on a different phone

thanks in advance

hello everyone.

i currently have a blackberry curve and i am looking to upgrade my phone to something that will allow me to do more.

i like the nexus phone as its powered by the android OS. i want something that will allow me to SSH into my home servers and manage them remotely. i know on the G1 there was an app for this purpose and so there should be one for the nexus one. i was just curious what the Hak5 community thought about this phone and if they had any suggestions on a different phone

thanks in advance

relik has an android overclocked Nexus and steps on how to do it. I think if its more apps and customizing you want, then the android based phones are probably your next move. Personally, Im happy with my Blackberry, but then again, I dont need half the stuff people do on those other phones. Thats why I have a laptop.

http://www.secmaniac.com/march/droid-2-1-f...tart-to-finish/

Edited by digip

relik has an android overclocked Nexus and steps on how to do it. I think if its more apps and customizing you want, then the android based phones are probably your next move. Personally, Im happy with my Blackberry, but then again, I dont need half the stuff people do on those other phones. Thats why I have a laptop.

http://www.secmaniac.com/march/droid-2-1-f...tart-to-finish/

Digip you never fail to impress. thanks for the quick response. yeah i love the fact that i can overclock the phone and put open source apps on it.

im happy with my blackberry but i want to go one step further in staying connected to my home network. im currently living at a house where we are house sitting for 2 years and if a server goes offline or something happens at the home i wanna be able to see it without paying for an IP based camera system. im working on having a computer in each room that is important with a webcam that is always recording while im gone. but having a stream to my house out to the world is not something i want. only through the magic of SSH will i see the cameras. i do not fully trust the family of the home owners (the owners themselves being in china).

I roll with a Nokia N900. It uses a proper linux distro and you can install apps and do as you please and don't have to wrestle with your device to get root.

Neopwn is coming soon which will give you backtrack in a hanheld device.

N900 is cool, but I'm not sure on like lifespan of the device, Maemo has died, and the status of the Megoo OS on the N900 is unknown. Android is very nice, a little rough around the edges, but it does more than an iPhone.

Your basic choices are N900 (which is a linux device), Nexus One (which uses the Linux kernel, but runs everything in a java based VM), Droid (has a keyboard and a nice screen, made of METAL!!!, but is slower than the rest of them), or HTC Evo 4G (on Sprint, and is a 4G Android based Touch HD2, the current WinMob superphone).

The community will port meego, maemo is stable and being updated.

There are threads discussing the meego situation.

If you want a real hackers phone that is functional for day to day use then there is no other option.

N900 is cool, but I'm not sure on like lifespan of the device, Maemo has died, and the status of the Megoo OS on the N900 is unknown. Android is very nice, a little rough around the edges, but it does more than an iPhone.

Your basic choices are N900 (which is a linux device), Nexus One (which uses the Linux kernel, but runs everything in a java based VM), Droid (has a keyboard and a nice screen, made of METAL!!!, but is slower than the rest of them), or HTC Evo 4G (on Sprint, and is a 4G Android based Touch HD2, the current WinMob superphone).

VaKo, as always great response, i think im set for the nexus one. i heard a rumor that they will be releasing the nexus one on verizon within the month. im really looking forward to it.

• 4 weeks later...

It really depends. Honestly battery life is a big deal and I don't think you can really beat Apple. Who knows what's happening in the next few months with all the leaks and possibilities of other providers for the iPhone.

I currently have a BB World Edition for work and a HTC Touch Pro for personal. The Touch Pro sucks, BUT I love I can tether from it (with WIFI undetected, like a Myfi) and use logmein.

Give me any phone with Logmein capabilities and I'll be happy, give me a phone with WiFi tether and I'm sold.

Btw, the Touch Pro when tethered through WiFi draws so much power a wall charger doesn't keep up. The heat safe guards come on and prevent the unit from continuously charging, sucks.

It really depends. Honestly battery life is a big deal and I don't think you can really beat Apple. Who knows what's happening in the next few months with all the leaks and possibilities of other providers for the iPhone.

I currently have a BB World Edition for work and a HTC Touch Pro for personal. The Touch Pro sucks, BUT I love I can tether from it (with WIFI undetected, like a Myfi) and use logmein.

Give me any phone with Logmein capabilities and I'll be happy, give me a phone with WiFi tether and I'm sold.

Btw, the Touch Pro when tethered through WiFi draws so much power a wall charger doesn't keep up. The heat safe guards come on and prevent the unit from continuously charging, sucks.

b0park, you aren't kidding. I use MyWi on my iPhone, and literally, plugging it in doesn't keep it charged consistenly as it really drains the battery. If I'm going to be sitting somewhere awhile, I end up using the stupid USB tether instead for "battery's sake".

How about Nokia 97 any good?

I'm curious myself...how IS the Nokia 97?

I am curious myself too, that's why I am asking. I am planning in upgrading my current phone to a N97. But heard from some friends of mine that, I should get an Iphone. I've always been a big fan of Nokia, so now I am just a little unsure.

I am curious myself too, that's why I am asking. I am planning in upgrading my current phone to a N97. But heard from some friends of mine that, I should get an Iphone. I've always been a big fan of Nokia, so now I am just a little unsure.

N900 Linux > N97 Symbian.

N900 Linux > N97 Symbian.

I know different operating system, but apart from the OS. Is the N97 any good in general terms.

Don't kill me people, but get the iPhone? It has a plethora of apps available to do everything with, which you don't have to pay for if you hack it.

I had the n97 for about 2 weeks, then it broke, so I took it back to the shop and apparently it had overheated and was completely broken. The keyboard on it was pretty sweet thought while it lasted :)

Don't kill me people, but get the iPhone? It has a plethora of apps available to do everything with, which you don't have to pay for if you hack it.

I had the n97 for about 2 weeks, then it broke, so I took it back to the shop and apparently it had overheated and was completely broken. The keyboard on it was pretty sweet thought while it lasted :)

How about the N97 performance in general. Any good?

I would recommend an android based phone. It runs linux and you can gain root pretty easily. I picked up a G1 for $100 a week ago used. It can do a lot and was very cheap imo.

Agreed the Droid has a faster processor and more memory etc... but you can only really get it if you use a CDMA provider. If you use GSM phones you will need the Moto Milestone, which is hard to get ahold of.

I wouldn't bother with any phone without an actual keyboard... it will hold one back from doing shell stuff easily.