Back Track 4

outsidethebigglesbox

BackTrack is a live disc. It should automatically start once it reaches the Grub menu, so long as you dont hit any keys. Once in, and you bring up the desktop there is an install icon that will allow you to install it, but you really dont have to in order to get the benefits of Back Track.

One thing to note, you might run into issues with the installer, or at least I did on the latest BT4-MOD version(I got the link from Mati so not sure if its the same one you are using or on their site) where when it boots, you get a VFS sync error. This is a grub problem, and you can fix it by hitting escape when booting, then manually setting up the boot parameters from the grub command shell.

root (hd0,0)

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.30.9 root=/dev/hda

initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.30.9

boot

obviously root=/dev/hda is whateve ryoru hard disc is, which could be /dev/sda or whatever partition its on, etc.

Once that is done, you should make it a permanent fix in the /boot/grub/menu.lst file and you should be good to go.

OK, so first remember that if you install and aren't used to creating new partitions, etc... you are going to loose everything on that hard drive. With that said, check out the PDF in the link i provided. Read it all. Page 5 is specifically what you are asking for. Which pretty much tells you to watch the install video. Which is the second link i provided. If you are having issues I will try and help.

http://www.offensive-security.com/backtrac...de-tutorial.pdf

http://www.offensive‐security.com/vi...#8208;disk.html

There's an excellent video by muts on the remote exploit site which steps through installation of BT4 to a USB with persistent changes. I can retrieve the link, if necessary.

He was making a simple joke that if you make one "how to" vid for something easy you gotta make another and another and another...

Hello Everyone! I have used linux before and wanted to try Back Track 4 since I saw it on the show. I downloaded it and burned it to a disc. I restarted my computer to install it and it took me to a grub prompt and I didnt know what to do next. Please help thanks!!!

Call me harsh if you like, but if you don't know what to do at that point perhaps you should learn more about regular linux first before going for one designed for penetration testing. I'd advise starting with Ubuntu and reading ubuntuguide to start with.

It should automatically start once it reaches the Grub menu, so long as you dont hit any keys.

I got the same thing. I got dumped to a command prompt.

startx (enter)

and shortly I had a menu with lots of fun looking stuff.

Any cheatsheet to what everything does? I found lots of fun doing DNS and network probes.