how to connect internet on linux

Yatin Dabhi

ubuntu cd i got after registering into ubuntu dot com [in cd format]

debian from linux 4 you magazine for free [in cd format]

Is there any option while installing the OS ??

can any one explain me the details or give me link accordingly . .pls I don't know linux and want to learn it . .pls

are you having trouble getting an internet connection or is there a problem with firefox? and if so are you having trouble with a wired or wireless connection? Also what where you using before linux and if it was windows did it connect fine?

I would suggest using ubuntu because it is user friendly and if you dont know linux commands it can help you if you need to fallback on the GUI.

You can try and open a command prompt and do

ifconfig

that is the linux equivalent of ipconfig in windows

well first thing's first, you more than likely have a network card installed in the PC and Linux has a ridiculous amount of driver support for said hardware.

I assume you know how to open a konsole window, so open one up and type

sudo ifconfig eth0 up

this is essentially the same thing as ipconfig /renew in windows

sudo ifconfig eth0 down = ipconfig /release

Here's the breakdown so you can play with it and understand a little better

sudo = super user do, lets you run administrative commands without being logged in as root

ifconfig = interface configuation command (essentially ipconfig for *nix)

eth0 = the interface we are dealing with, if you have multiple network cards you can have eth0, eth1, etc also Wireless cards can have different interface names like ath0 is one I see for atheros wireless cards.

up/down = what to do with the interface, up makes it active and down deactivates it.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Some distributions do not have the sudo command installed by default, in which case use su instead.

Ubuntu is a bit of a strange one, the root user is disabled by default, as such the su command will not work. In order achieve a root terminal 'sudo bash' is the way to go.

Some distributions do not have the sudo command installed by default, in which case use su instead.

Ubuntu is a bit of a strange one, the root user is disabled by default, as such the su command will not work. In order achieve a root terminal 'sudo bash' is the way to go.

'sudo su' works for me.

If you are installing ubuntu and it doesn;t use your ethernet card, I will be amazed.

Linux not working on school or work network is probably due to the fact that the machines don't belong to the domain and therefore you are unable to authenticate against the domain and be able to use the security groups privilages you are a member of.

If you are installing ubuntu and it doesn;t use your ethernet card, I will be amazed.

Linux not working on school or work network is probably due to the fact that the machines don't belong to the domain and therefore you are unable to authenticate against the domain and be able to use the security groups privilages you are a member of.

thanks for that info

hey guys i tired doing it . .its not working 4 me. .

it shows wired connection established

BTW . .I don't have any personal modem . .there is only 1 modem in the whole society . .no routers . .

is it something different way . .in windows I have to authenticate to get access 4 internet

hey guys i tired doing it . .its not working 4 me. .

it shows wired connection established

BTW . .I don't have any personal modem . .there is only 1 modem in the whole society . .no routers . .

is it something different way . .in windows I have to authenticate to get access 4 internet

How did you authenticate?