Unhackable Netbooks

Wetwork

To get rid of this "always on internet" just open the laptop up and take out your wireless card. No more DET to shut it down :D

this will more than likely lock the system until it can call home or disable the bios until authentication is met

I’ve actually got my hands on one of these ‘unhackable’ laptops. The Windows portion itself has been locked down from the ground up (any EXE’s from an external source will not run, I tried some CMOS flashers). The applications that are pre-installed on these laptops are basic like 7-Zip. They are maintained by the Department of Education and Training of New South Wales by re-imaging them via Remote Desktop. If you try to access the BIOS the computer will immediately restart. I have no idea how they’ve done this. There is also a Windows Recovery Environment Partition on it for boot manager recovery I assume. They have a built-in hardware GPS which is apparently “monitored” by the local police force. The IdeaPad laptops came in either red or blue and have Crimestoppers logo and telephone number on the base of the laptop and integrated in the Windows 7 Logon Menu (in the lower left corner). It need’s a special 6 pointed screwdriver to access the inside of the device but I wouldn’t want to as tampering with the device apparently alerts the police.

Does anyone want to help me hack it (on a software level)? Perhaps a meeting in a DimDim room? Please note that this is Australia...the time is different here you silly Americans :P

I’ve actually got my hands on one of these ‘unhackable’ laptops. The Windows portion itself has been locked down from the ground up (any EXE’s from an external source will not run, I tried some CMOS flashers). The applications that are pre-installed on these laptops are basic like 7-Zip. They are maintained by the Department of Education and Training of New South Wales by re-imaging them via Remote Desktop. If you try to access the BIOS the computer will immediately restart. I have no idea how they’ve done this. There is also a Windows Recovery Environment Partition on it for boot manager recovery I assume. They have a built-in hardware GPS which is apparently “monitored” by the local police force. The IdeaPad laptops came in either red or blue and have Crimestoppers logo and telephone number on the base of the laptop and integrated in the Windows 7 Logon Menu (in the lower left corner). It need’s a special 6 pointed screwdriver to access the inside of the device but I wouldn’t want to as tampering with the device apparently alerts the police.

Does anyone want to help me hack it (on a software level)? Perhaps a meeting in a DimDim room? Please note that this is Australia...the time is different here you silly Americans :P

Torx?

I am pretty sure they would lock you out from the bios boot menu, so the using live booting media idea just went out the window.

I am sure a few Australia groups are working on it, if not I am sure they would be interested. Maybe you should try 2600 Australia, Ausphreak or hackaday.

Its a real shame my mate quit his old job working at the DET, he would come in handy for insider info.

I am pretty sure they would lock you out from the bios boot menu, so the using live booting media idea just went out the window.

I am sure a few Australia groups are working on it, if not I am sure they would be interested. Maybe you should try 2600 Australia, Ausphreak or hackaday.

Its a real shame my mate quit his old job working at the DET, he would come in handy for insider info.

lol

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new comment on the post 'Unhackable Netbooks given to students'.

Author: Boeing

Comment:

I have one of these laptops and a few people have gotten suspended for 'hacking' them. They made it so that you cant open .exe files but all you do is run as admin, its really stupid and you can take apart the laptop with screwdrivers and lots of people have been doing. stupid school

See all comments on this post here: http://hackaday.com/2009/09/27/unhackable-...udents#comments