IRC - secure?

BatteryShock

Hello everyone,

I have a question that has troubled me for a while now.

I am the child of the post-IRC era, i.e. my world to chatting was opened up with Yahoo! Chat rooms.

But eventually I found out about IRC and one day logged into a server with an interesting channel. I noticed that as soon as I logged in my 'ip address' was shown in the room.

Now since I usually bend towards the paranoid spectrum of security beliefs, I was wondering how secure this is and how other people use IRC. I know IRC is still being used by people but do they use some special software to secure their ips or is it something else....?

I seek enlightenment :)

Battery Shock

Depends on the network. Some networks obfuscate or "cloak" your IP with a hostmask or vanity host and others just display your IP. Some networks will provide a vhost upon request, like Freenode, you just have to ask a staff member to provide you with one. Alternatively, if you're particularly paranoid and the network allows it, you can proxy/connect through a shell, which provides the network the IP of your shell instead of you home machine.

For a more Hak5ish reply:

Mintirc won't show your IP, it should be something different, and all you need to do to get more secure is to register your nick and auto identify, which will change your hostname to users.mintirc.net.

Zone9...well that's for you to find out.

Depends on the network. Some networks obfuscate or "cloak" your IP with a hostmask or vanity host and others just display your IP. Some networks will provide a vhost upon request, like Freenode, you just have to ask a staff member to provide you with one. Alternatively, if you're particularly paranoid and the network allows it, you can proxy/connect through a shell, which provides the network the IP of your shell instead of you home machine.

If the IRC network you're connecting to DOESN'T mask your IP, don't chat there. Vhosts are nice (and sometimes funny) to use but usually require you to execute a command or two for the server to place the virtual host onto your connection.

If you plan on using a proxy, i wouldn't suggest Tor. Networks like mine (irc.omgirc.com) filter tor connections due to abuse. Just a FYI.

I have some invite codes for ipredator.se (TPB's vpn service) if you need a decent VPN/Proxy service.

Stay anonymous!

use a BNC to stick around in all your favorite channels with a different ip!

and if you want to be very very secure like me install BlowFisH on your irc for 1080bit encryption

securest way to chat i think

miT, could you send me one of those invite codes please? It looks like an interesting service, and I wanna try it out, and I need a VPN. What are the speeds on it?

They closed the beta invites. Sorry!