Wow.. Intel/Nvidia is kicking some AMD/ATI a$$

h3%5kr3w

Wow, that's some great info!

Love the drop downs on the bottom that give you stock price-esque up and down ratings, like with RAM you can see the smaller amounts on the decline :).

I don't know if you've heard, but Intel is getting into all sorts of crazy trouble by getting stores to not carry AMD for a long time now. Sort of makes sense, as the last time I saw an AMD cpu in stores was a LONG time ago.

Not that that makes AMD better or vice versa, I think it just skews the usage vs quality aspect when they aren't playing on a level field.

I had the unfortunate displeasure of working in PC world whilst being a student. Most of the people who use computers on a daily basis are morons, okay that's not nice and not truel but still. I would get questions like "Can my epson printer used recycled paper?" Yet, they would still know Intel, they would be put off by brands like Asus. Intel has good marketing, notebooks which sell far more than desktops reflect this. Acer are one of the brands that sell similar laptops with both AMD and Intel. Even when the AMD is cheaper people would choose Intel. I'd be more interested in people buying the CPU itself, and at what price point. I.E. @ $155 who sells more, AMD or intel etc etc. Depending on what budget you gave me, my answer would be different.

I had the unfortunate displeasure of working in PC world whilst being a student. Most of the people who use computers on a daily basis are morons, okay that's not nice and not truel but still. I would get questions like "Can my epson printer used recycled paper?" Yet, they would still know Intel, they would be put off by brands like Asus. Intel has good marketing, notebooks which sell far more than desktops reflect this. Acer are one of the brands that sell similar laptops with both AMD and Intel. Even when the AMD is cheaper people would choose Intel. I'd be more interested in people buying the CPU itself, and at what price point. I.E. @ $155 who sells more, AMD or intel etc etc. Depending on what budget you gave me, my answer would be different.

There's also the unintended consequence (or benefit) of Intels popularity, and that's support. While many people love the AMD/ATI monolith, the fact that Intel/nvidia are in such a larger portion of machines will inevitably lead to a better user experience for the intelers. When games and apps are being created, and QA time frames get squished, I'm sure the focus is to "at least get it tested on intel/nvidia," potentially leaving the other folks in the dark.

I have an nvidia card in this machine, and an ATI in the other, and I can say from personal experience that games tend to be more compatible with THIS machine, with the exception of when this one is too slow (the other machine is a good bit faster.)

I suppose my point is that a superior product may not always lead to a superior experience, sometimes its better to go with the "worse" product because it works better :).

I dunno, as far as support, both companies from what I have seen have been neck and neck *intel and AMD*. Matter of fact, I think Intel has had more manufacturing goofs in the past than AMD, but I think it comes down to the point of why do I have to buy a 850 watt pwr supply to run an AMD when it's slower than an intel that you can run off a 450 watt pwr sup? I think that is the real idea here as far as I am concerned. When you think about the power you need to run what you have, you end up spending the same getting an AMD because usually you want a larger power supply to run it with. I'm not for sure if this is true, but I have never seen a high powered AMD running off anything lower than 500 watts since my dear old 1800+ (which was on a 450 watt btw).

The only thing that really doesnt make it any better to buy Intel for me though is cause I like the flashyness of a hot looking power supply :P <-currently running a silvery blue Ultra 650 modular power supply

But I think we can all agree though that the Core I7 (lower model) smokes the AMD line pretty hard right about now, and to top it off AMD doesn't look like it has that bright of a future...

ATI > Nvidia?! you must have had a whole lot more luck with them than everyone I know.. (though it's never been a secret that ATI cards are almost ALWAYS faster, just with a few flaws here and there)

I still maintain budget is a major factor. If I were to build my Ultimate Gaming Machine 8.1, it would probably be Intel/Nvidia. Although I think the more common price bands are where AMD are aiming for. Like said the Phenom 2 is pretty damn good for the money, but if your budget is larger, the i7 would be the choice of champions.

Although I've recently built a couple systems with Intel CPU, with ATI graphics. I was always an Nvidia man, but ATI cards are nice right now. It's interesting you say AMD takes more power, I was lead to believe ATI cards take less power than Nvidia. Maybe I am wrong, but some of the requirements from Nvidia are insane. So building a Intel/Nvidia would probably draw no less power than a AMD based set up if not more. Even if intel CPUs need less juice the Nvidia cards more than make up for it!

• 2 weeks later...

hmm... ya know, now that you say that.. That does sound about right. I have never heard of anyone having power issues pushing an ATI card, but Nvidia on the other hand...

I have always been an AMD + Nvidia fan. If I were to go for a hardcore system on the cheap right now, it would be AMD + Nvidia (I still see people with driver issues on ATI cards so that's why I steer clear of them)

I will definitely say this though.. dollar for dollar on the laptop market, AMD+NVIDIA kicks the SHIT out of Intel+Intel, Intel+Nvidia, AND Intel+ATI.

My laptop spec: Amd ql60 1.9ghz (dual core) + Nvidia 8200m g. $450

Plays: Farcry 1 @ around 50fps @ full settings

Farcry 2 @ around 17fps @ lower settings

HalfLife 2 @ around 45fps @ medium/high settings

Sauerbraten @ 20 fps @ medium/low settings

Some dude @ school just bought a laptop:

Core2Duo w/Intel integrated $900

Plays: .. most games unplayable.

AMD+NVIDIA = Phucking win again!

Sure your thought is: well if it wasnt intel integrated... BUT you would not get that @ under $700 would you?!

• 2 weeks later...

lol they updated it, ATI videocards are failing even more. guess ati should have fixed those driver problems that users have been complaining about for so long, (I have a 3850 and guess what, they still didn't even fix the opengl performance problems yet)

why does my 3850 have to run opengl like this

while my agp Geforce 7800gs runs it like this ?

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, yup...marketed mindless consumers who always put a foot in their mouth. I also LOVE the ones that choose a laptop because its sony. Hmm you just paid thrice the price to go online and print papers etc.

I remember somebody at a party talking about how his iphone sucks because its boring and hes going to return it. I figured wow, what an idiot. Jailbreaking brings out so much more from it. The best thing about it is basically being a huge touchscreen, which is what everything is turning into. We're ridding of physical buttons (break, wear out, more parts etc) and replacing it with a touchscreen that can be all sorts of buttons, different themes or even basically whatever you want the pixels to look like.

For me its Price, Function (function potential such as jailbreaking etc) Warranty. I see something and wonder about what its made of, materials..manufacturing complexity, price depreciation, what it can do etc before I trade any earned monetary slips for it. Call me tight but hey, I like getting the most out of my money :)

BTW, ATI>Nvidia??? I think its the other way around. The ION is going to set a level. Its inexpensive, and powerful and small.

Well folks im gonna jump in this and you guys aren't gonna like it. I Currently took a glance at this forum and realized im like the perfect candidate for this thread.

I was using an Nvidia card with 512 on the card. Ive switched to a ATI Radeon(insert large number here) card.

I was surprised when i was gaming and getting my usual 3:1 kdr (muahaha). That my power supply would go haywire. It makes an insanley loud beeping almost as if its a post code.

So i did what almost any person would do at a first glance. I switched the power supplies and the EXACT same thing happened. Only then did i finally realize that my vid card has been draining the crap out of my powersupply making to the point of almost melting. I even put a thermometer up to it and recorded a temp of 102 degrees.

My personal opinion, granted its not much being pretty inexperienced to you guys, i would DEFFINITLY take Nvidea over ATI, any day of the week.

• 4 weeks later...
every computer i've ever built was AMD & Nvidia, dunno why just never liked ATI or Intel too much

Yah, same here. AMD for the wallet, and Nvidia for the eyes.

Seriously though.. You don't need that much processor to run awesome games as opposed to a video card, where the better you get the better it just is.

Mind you yes... there is always crysis... come to think of it. have they yet maxed it out? Maybe I am just being jaded, but has anyone ever thought, maybe the reason why crysis doesnt run good is more along the lines of crappy code by developers and less likely the hardware being up to par? That's my theory.

There are games that look just as good as crysis, but run better and with lower hardware requirements.

• 4 weeks later...
Well folks im gonna jump in this and you guys aren't gonna like it. I Currently took a glance at this forum and realized im like the perfect candidate for this thread.

I was using an Nvidia card with 512 on the card. Ive switched to a ATI Radeon(insert large number here) card.

I was surprised when i was gaming and getting my usual 3:1 kdr (muahaha). That my power supply would go haywire. It makes an insanley loud beeping almost as if its a post code.

So i did what almost any person would do at a first glance. I switched the power supplies and the EXACT same thing happened. Only then did i finally realize that my vid card has been draining the crap out of my powersupply making to the point of almost melting. I even put a thermometer up to it and recorded a temp of 102 degrees.

My personal opinion, granted its not much being pretty inexperienced to you guys, i would DEFFINITLY take Nvidea over ATI, any day of the week.

You gotta read the box and check the minimum power supply requirement before you buy the video card. Sounds like your power supply wasn't powerful enough to handle the card.

Personally I've always gone with ATI and have never had a problem. On the other hand, the one time I tried a nVidia card, it was a lemon and put scanlines through my screen. I'll stick with ATI. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Simulation pret immobilier

They would still know Intel, they would be put off by brands like Asus. Intel has good marketing, notebooks which sell far more than desktops reflect this. Acer are one of the brands that sell similar laptops with both AMD and Intel. Even when the AMD is cheaper people would choose Intel. I'd be more interested in people buying the CPU itself, and at what price point. I.E. @ $155 who sells more, AMD or intel etc etc. Depending on what budget you gave me, my answer would be different.