Return to tech?

Swathe

Rather than post in every episodes thread, I just want to say it's been great to see the increase in techy content and the use of Linux. I found Matts segements on VM's great ( My wife and I work on a IT help desk that supports 10 ,000 end users so virtual machines play a heavy part in our corporations environment.)

Darrens pretty much exclusive Linux use AND using it in conjunction with the windows OS (Netcat etc) has been great to see and these segs could easily have slotted in with alot of the material from season 1.

Basically, I had given up alot of hope for a long time and whilst still watch every ep I just missed that season one feeling. Now I feel it's coming back and I am immensley happy about it.

Good work guys, made me glad I stuck it out.

While I feel they can never recreate Season 1 short of just doing it off the cuff, raw, no console and un-edited segments, just raw energy from being behind the camera for the first time, I don't want them to be like that either. The show has evolved, and so have we over the years. We all know a lot more now than we did when the show first started, but some of us forget that there are new viewers who have that same excitment to learn about stuff a lot of us may already know about.

Maybe it took some time to find a groove in each season since season 1, but for the most part, I have always been impressed with their dedication to the show and trying to push new content. They have personal lives too, so its something I think people take for granted the amount of work they put into all of this. And lets face it, there is only so much you can cover that people don't already know about in the IT world, but they always manage to bring something new and usefull with each season if not entertaining, even if a lot of us have kind of matured in our own knowledge and skills over the years, there are always new viewers who have no idea what any of this stuff is.

The Switchbaldes/hacksaws, Pinapples, Monkeys, Wii Hacks, Mods, Parodies, Easter Eggs, Lan Parties, IRC, and the Forums, etc, they have brought a lot of people together from all walks of life and from all parts of the globe. If you stand back and look at all they have accomplished over the years and the size of the community, its pretty damn amazing if you think about it. (as defunct as it can be sometimes, its still a good place to learn and meet computer minded people in general)

I think its great that they are doing the virtualization stuff because its used so many places these days, its good to show some of the workplace side of things and not always the homebrew stuff we expect. I for one would like to see those kinds of segments because I myself will be looking for a new job come September, and any info on the latest workplace trends is something I find usefull as I may need to know what to look for in training and job hunting. Especially the Linux stuff, since more IT jobs require Unix and Linux administrators these days, about half the jobs I search for these days ask for some *nix experience.

I know that they can never create the raw 1.0 feel of season 1, the actual type content still be used and I feel they have shosen some great segments these last few weeks. I just want to show them some appreciation from somebody who has watched since 1x03 and watched it evolve with its ups and downs.

Well, I never did go back and watch seasons 1 through 3 (I started watching at about mid 3) I did watch ep 1 se. 1 and dabbled around watching most of 3. I mean definitely for their dedication you have to give them props. They (I think) have just started making real money out of this show, and to top it off when you think about it split 3 ways, it's probably not the most generous paycheck out there but it's what they want to do.

Also you have to love the fact that they have open ears for the show to let the show evolve from their standpoint and a mix of ours. These people that just started randomly bitching about content kinda pissed me off because they really didnt give the hak5 crew a chance to evolve and change. But as a result since enough people did say that they would really like to see the show take a few steps back to the direction it was, the crew then changed it for us. This is the great thing about the show. Go tell 20/20 about what they are doing wrong.. they probably would not even open the letter or email.

I don't like to paraphrase people but I must say that this is one of those things that the internet has enabled, and that is people do have a say about things and others will listen, and things will change (paraphrasing Kevin Rose)

Now I would like to see more of this that and the other, and alot of what is on the show is stuff that we think of or things that make the hak5 crew think about, but for now, new things that I do NOT know about that they talk about on the show makes me happy and when I think they should check out something I know about for the masses (if I ever think of anything like that) then I will say it.

I just recently went back and dloaded the first 3 seasons. I have to say that although I enjoyed s1 they seemed really young and inexperienced. Some may call this raw, but I appreciate the fact that they have just become better onscreen personalities. Keep up the technical info guys.

I've only recently started into looking into hacking and computer security so for me, hak5 is a great resource that exposes me to many very neat utilities that I did not know about. Looks like I'll have to go watch the earlier seasons. Thanks!

It's an ongoing project of mine that sometimes feels that it'll never be complete, but... I hope to one day clip out every segment of the show, post 'em to the site along with appropriate links and show notes, tag 'em and place 'em under the core categories of the show. Ya know, Hacking, IT Pro, Gaming (mainly homebrew), Mods, sketches, etc. Then I'll use some bad ass wordpress plugin to show related content under each page.

Anyway, point being for those who haven't seen the prior seasons it would be a great way for them to browse around the site eating up bits of content from all parts of the show.

Oh and as for the $, it's still extended beer money. Our motivation is still simply technolust, the $ is a bonus.

Hey guys,

It's really awesome reading these kind of threads and knowing ya'll are enjoying the content we are bringing. There can never be another season 1. The tech world changes, the cast has changed, and we're growing and learning during every segment. Moving to Rev3 has helped a ton- no longer spending time uploading and converting to 3 files, not searching for sponsors ourselves, etc. We're able to focus on the segments, the fans, and the show in general. And all of us are delving into new stuff (Matt w/ VM, Darren w/ Linux, me w/ homebrew hacks) so... I know I'm learning more and more everytime I do an episode.

And yes, the beer money is good. Still work at the bank, but the extra beer money is good.

It's an ongoing project of mine that sometimes feels that it'll never be complete, but... I hope to one day clip out every segment of the show, post 'em to the site along with appropriate links and show notes, tag 'em and place 'em under the core categories of the show. Ya know, Hacking, IT Pro, Gaming (mainly homebrew), Mods, sketches, etc. Then I'll use some bad ass wordpress plugin to show related content under each page.

Anyway, point being for those who haven't seen the prior seasons it would be a great way for them to browse around the site eating up bits of content from all parts of the show.

Oh and as for the $, it's still extended beer money. Our motivation is still simply technolust, the $ is a bonus.

Im not a huge fan of bing, but one thing they did right that would be great to see on the hak5 site is their video search. When you mouse over a video, they play the video, mouse out, it stops. If you had a search like the podzinger used to be where it searched the words, then mouse over a sentence and an ajaxy video started playing on demand at that part of the video, it would be way easier to find stuff in the show. Just an idea. How to implement, not sure though, but would be cool.

Take a look: http://www.bing.com/videos?FORM=ZZLH5