Moonlit's Mini-Album

moonlit

So I’ve been messing around with music again, whether it’s worth it being anywhere other than my own HDD I don’t really know, but I’ll never know unless I put it out there, right? That said, here’s my latest efforts. I’d struggle to call it an album because it’d have to be of release quality for that and besides that it’s only half an hour long. Anyway, here it is in all its glory, enjoy:

bga-coloured-outside-the-line-preview.jp

BGA – Coloured Outside The Lines
34 minutes and 08 seconds in 7 tracks
320kbps Stereo MP3 (78.1MB)

Track 4 fixed and Track 7 added.
Released under the Creative Commons Attribution 2.0 England and Wales licence.

ZIP Archive (75MB)

Track 1 (06:03)
Track 2 (03:42)
Track 3 (07:10)
Track 4 (05:17)
Track 5 (03:53)
Track 6 (03:19)
Track 7 (04:41)

Its pretty chill. You play keyboards? Sounds like some drum machines and keyboards... Are you sequencing the samples and loops on the pc, or with the drum machine itself? We used to make our beats and samples from live kits and a roland groove box we had, then dump them to the pc to cut up and manipulate in Soundforge to make acid tracks, then import into Logic Audio so we could record our vocals and guitars, keys, bass, etc, overtop of all our backing tracks.

Reminds me of Cevin Key's solo albums and his Download albums("Download" is the name of one of his bands, not as in songs you actually download online, although you could I guess). Maybe a bit Skinny Puppy, but on the lighter side of Skinny Puppy without vocals and heavy guitars.

edit:

Hope you don't mind, I added some guitar to Track 4. Didn't have much time to work on it, still a work in progress and not nearly close to what I want but wanted to share what I have so far. I have to find my eBow to add something more fitting.

http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/digip/Tr...verdubDigiP.mp3

Its pretty chill. You play keyboards? Sounds like some drum machines and keyboards... Are you sequencing the samples and loops on the pc, or with the drum machine itself? We used to make our beats and samples from live kits and a roland groove box we had, then dump them to the pc to cut up and manipulate in Soundforge to make acid tracks, then import into Logic Audio so we could record our vocals and guitars, keys, bass, etc, overtop of all our backing tracks.

I don't play keyboard actually, though I do have one and it has midi capabilities I've never got around to buying a midi interface to use it with. I used to mess around on keyboards but I use Modplug Tracker on Windows atm with a selection of VSTs, I suppose it's something about being a logical computer kinda guy that allows me to enjoy and prefer bashing in the notes one by one in table form. When I started tracking I used to borrow samples from other mods people had done but I never released any of that stuff, eventually I came to realise that the samples were poor quality and after finding that Modplug could use VSTs I quickly switched. I used Audacity to clean up and mix the tracks.

Reminds me of Cevin Key's solo albums and his Download albums("Download" is the name of one of his bands, not as in songs you actually download online, although you could I guess). Maybe a bit Skinny Puppy, but on the lighter side of Skinny Puppy without vocals and heavy guitars.

I can't say I've heard of him actually but I might have to check him out at some point.

Hope you don't mind, I added some guitar to Track 4. Didn't have much time to work on it, still a work in progress and not nearly close to what I want but wanted to share what I have so far. I have to find my eBow to add something more fitting.

http://www.twistedpairrecords.com/digip/Tr...verdubDigiP.mp3

That's pretty cool actually, there's some bits I'm not so sure about but the long wailing from ~1:00 I love, it really adds something awesome to the track, I'd love to hear if you do anything more with it. I should point out though that the track you worked on there (which was originally labelled track 4) was actually an earlier mix of track 1 and was mistakenly included for a short while as track 4 and has now been replaced by the real track 4. :)

I originally released these tracks on archive.org with an Attribution-No-Derivatives CC license but I'll change that, if anyone else feels like doing something with these tracks then please do, post 'em in here and let's see what people can make with them.

I can't say I've heard of him actually but I might have to check him out at some point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CEvin_Key

He is one half of the band Skinny Puppy, and many other side projects and solo albums. Download is one of his bands that your music kind of reminds me of.

I originally released these tracks on archive.org with an Attribution-No-Derivatives CC license but I'll change that, if anyone else feels like doing something with these tracks then please do, post 'em in here and let's see what people can make with them.

I didn't know there was a No-Derivatives license for it, or I would have asked first before posting. It would be cool to see people remix and add to it though. I wonder how many people here play instruments and actually have recorded something.

I only spent about an hour working on this, so it by no means is anything special. I was just trying to figure out main chords and some lead guitar. I havent recorded anything in years, not since I moved into my apartment in 2004, so I am kind of rusty and I don't have the nice recording studio and programs I used to have at my old house. ost of my equipment is stored away, so I was going direct line into my soundcard, which is not the best setup. I usually like to mic the amp and have everything organised for recording, but I barely have room walk, let alone do a proper recording setup. Oh, how I miss my old studio and recording equipment.

My setup now, even with a pc 10 times more powerfull, isn't nearly as nice as what I had 10 years ago(an old AMD 450mhz KII and AMD 800mhz Duron with Audio Logic Platinum 4.5 running on windows 98 and only a gig of ram). The program I used to use does not run on XP(Lack of NTFS Support) and I do not have serial ports for the dongle to make it work, so I have to resort to a freeware multi track program I use called the Kristal Audio Engine: http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/ Its a decent little program considering its free, but lacks the power I had from Emagic's Audio Logic.

I didn't know there was a No-Derivatives license for it, or I would have asked first before posting. It would be cool to see people remix and add to it though. I wonder how many people here play instruments and actually have recorded something.

It's all good, I should've probably put the licence info in the post (which I've now done) but not to worry, I've changed the licence to Attribution 2.0 so remixes and improvements are welcome.

I only spent about an hour working on this, so it by no means is anything special. I was just trying to figure out main chords and some lead guitar. I havent recorded anything in years, not since I moved into my apartment in 2004, so I am kind of rusty and I don't have the nice recording studio and programs I used to have at my old house. ost of my equipment is stored away, so I was going direct line into my soundcard, which is not the best setup. I usually like to mic the amp and have everything organised for recording, but I barely have room walk, let alone do a proper recording setup. Oh, how I miss my old studio and recording equipment.

I don't think it was all that bad tbh, definitely needed work but for an hour's messing around I could see nicely where it was headed and I liked it, which is always a good start ;).

My setup now, even with a pc 10 times more powerfull, isn't nearly as nice as what I had 10 years ago(an old AMD 450mhz KII and AMD 800mhz Duron with Audio Logic Platinum 4.5 running on windows 98 and only a gig of ram). The program I used to use does not run on XP(Lack of NTFS Support) and I do not have serial ports for the dongle to make it work, so I have to resort to a freeware multi track program I use called the Kristal Audio Engine: http://www.kreatives.org/kristal/ Its a decent little program considering its free, but lacks the power I had from Emagic's Audio Logic.

Yeah, it's funny actually, Modplug Tracker itself is relatively modern what with XP support and VST plugin support and such but really it's little more than a tracker, something that's been around in some form or another since god knows when. Sometimes the old stuff is better, and certainly a lot of it still handles the job just fine.

Hey moonlit, that was pretty awesome man, I listened to all the tracks the other night, and I am quite impressed. I have FLStudio, and I have been tinkering here and there for greater of a year or so, and I have yet to come up with one quality track.

Let me ask you, what is your process (mentally) when making these tracks? Cause my issue is that I will start making a few elements for a track, usually with some oscillators and a pad, go to add some beats, and then my brain goes spastic. It's just hard for me to keep a track simple. I'm always wanting to add so much more, and then when I cant incorporate some beats cause they are too hard to keep track with everything else, basicly I just save the track, exit the program, and then I never go back to it.